Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

First mistake was going to the Richmond board for literally any reason.

However i definitely think he was in the best 3 players on the field, probably number 1.

28 touches, 1 goal and 11 score involvements... 11

Could have easily had 4 goals himself if he did not pass them off

EDIT: Just read a couple pages and lmfao... They are so headfu**ed by us for no reason? Titch barely got a mention by anyone in the media or even Hawk fans. I don't think anyone thinks he was amazing yesterday. They have won 3 of the last 4 flags and still have this massive victim complex.

people just dont understand the value of tom mitchell because he doesnt run fast and bomb it long inside 50 therefore getting the 'metres gained' the other top 5 mids get even though said kicks are often turnovers

dusty the exception as hes actually a good kick

In my view the forward line was out-positioned by a far more experienced Richmond backline. Richmond were able to cover the lines of attack and seemed far more proactive in their positioning than our forwards. I can count on fewer than three fingers the number of times I spotted a lead into space which was missed. Almost all of the time the forward line was dominated and there was nowhere to kick it but top of the square or maybe a pocket. And it seemed like Richmond had a double team at every contest. There were a few highlights, Kosi's first goal for example where Worpel speared a pass low and hard to a lead, but most often the Richmond defense had the area well-covered.
Watching from level 4 I couldn't agree more. Out positioned before the ball had even left the boot. Kosi in particular will really learn from playing on a great back 6 like that.

In response to our midfield struggles I think we should be working on getting Day into the guts long term, I watched him around a few stoppages yesterday and he read it of the hands really well and he is deceptively quick and evasive. I think we have enough play makers out of defence with Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Sicily, CJ, Frost and Greaves to come in.

Chuck Day and Wingard into the midfield mix and it improves dramatically. Add a top 5 mid from the draft plus a FA and things can turn quickly. Also this means that ALL of Worps, Titch and JOM add another string to their bow in order to give us that flexibility.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Day was really coming into the game when he got crunched. Was trying to take the game on at the time too, after a quiet start.

I reckon the hit will steel him too. He's a competitive beast underneath and will save that one in the memory bank. Hoping he doesn't miss too much footy because he is an absolute gun. Everything he does is to put the team in an advantage. Much like Hird used to do. Will bring others into the game.

The kid just loves winning. And knows how to win. Cant buy that.

I thought the exact same thing. Didn't notice it last week but didn't seem to be able to get out of 3rd today.
There was one chase where he just looked completely spent and didn't look like narrowing the margin. Pedestrian stuff.

Fatigue? Motivation? Niggling knee issues? Who knows...hopefully it will not become a recurring theme

This site is funny after a loss. A large percentage of posters, maybe most, just don't seem happy unless they are miserable.

We played a good game today. Richmond are a very strong unit. Their greatest strength, I think is how well their players support and anticipate each other when a ball is contested. One or two go in and you see three our four positioned around the contest for the response with a quick flurry of overlapping handballs as they escape to find the remaining 12 players spread well across the field and all running hard to provide options. It's some consistent and impressive play. Their second strength may be how disciplined they are in defense. They do not get pulled out of shape and really pushed our young forward line around.

Our guys, particularly the younger players, really struggled under the pressure early. Even the senior players made a few noticeable skills and decision-making errors when under Richmond's pressure in the first quarter. To the boy's credit, they steadied and played Richmond even on the scoreboard from the mid-point of the first quarter until the six-minute mark of the fourth. In all that time Richmond never got more than one goal further in front than they were at the mid-point of the first quarter. I thought the midfield did an exceptional job of throwing the Richmond advance off it's pace and making them tick-tack their way forward. There were only a handful of times when Richmond were able to run from back to front without being slowed. It wasn't enough to put us in a position to win, particularly with the way the forward line was outplayed, but it did let the back line stay organised and prevent a slaughter.

All in all, I am pleased with this game. If the team seasons well this year then they have a chance of being one of the big movers who seem to crop up each season. One of the teams that show massive improvement from the start of the year to the finish. Let's hope anyways. I think there's a reasonable chance we can really enjoy this year. Chins up, folks. It ain't all that bad.
THIS^ is the best review so far. Watching the game live you could see all of this in full view.

JOM was just physically exhausted from his defensive duties. Nothing to do with his pace. He and shiels did a mountain of work covering our midfield.
We all know that feeling...you tell your legs to go faster, and they just won't.

Are Mitchell & Worpel that bad defensively? Or was it just the Richmond speed/pressure poking holes in the system?
Mitchell is a see ball get ball kinda guy so yes no real defensive side unless he is in the vicinity. Worps was playing different roles but when he was in the midfield his defensive side was poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JOM was just physically exhausted from his defensive duties. Nothing to do with his pace. He and shiels did a mountain of work covering our midfield.
Led the team in pressure acts, second in tackles and second in distance covered by 0.1 of a km. Highest average moving speed for hawks. The stats agree with your observation 👍

Are Mitchell & Worpel that bad defensively? Or was it just the Richmond speed/pressure poking holes in the system?
If you watch omeara and shiels run as the ball transitions to our defence they are focussed on picking up runners through the corridor through to chb. Mitchell tends to run towards where the ball is going to be an option on the way out. So different roles. Worpel wasn’t good defensively yesterday or generally. He plays the same kind of role as omeara and shiels when in the centre (at least with Mitchell). In one passage yesterday he was tracking to defence with a player and let them get goal side by a couple of meters. That was all it took to get a break on Worpel and get the ball and send it to the fifty. His fitness has improved a long way but it isn’t presently up to the level with omeara and shiels.

Its a pity that people do not see the real total value of JOM. If he was playing at Essendon he would be getting 35+ every week but he has higher standards at Hawthorn and we as a midfield unit benefit greatly from his presence.

Felt like we matched them for most of the game yesterday. The difference being that they were better equipped to make us pay for our mistakes than we were back to them.

I've read a few times that "they didn't get out of x'th gear" and that "we used to do that to teams, we just did enough to win". To some degree this is true. But back when we were on top we still would have beaten a bottom 4 side by 10 goals. A bottom 4 side playing in such an aggressive, attacking style as we did would have been buried in score on the turnover and ultimately been worn down to the point of allowing junk time goals at the end of quarters.

My point is not this Richmond side isn't as good as our threepeat Hawthorn side because they couldn't put us away by 10 goals. It's that we're not the bottom 4 side that allows themselves to be put away by 10 goals. Because we're not a bottom 4 side.

We've got some very good players yet to come back into this side and heaps of room for young players to grow into over the rest of the season as they get more comfortable playing at this level together.

I'm really looking forward to the re-match in round 23. And I'm hoping they've got a lot to play for when we do because I'd love to see us deny them of it.

Its a pity that people do not see the real total value of JOM. If he was playing at Essendon he would be getting 35+ every week but he has higher standards at Hawthorn and we as a midfield unit benefit greatly from his presence.

The biggest shame, I think, is that a large number of people miss the opportunity to take joy in what the side might achieve this year. Will our boys break though and and join the top teams in the league? Who knows. But the effort they are making and the commitment to playing as planned is impressive. They have a chance because they have heart. These may be the same numbers on their backs as last season but these aren't the same men play playing who were resigned to losing seven in a row last year.

I reckon this is the moment to hope and cheer them on. It's easy to see they aren't at the top. It seems more rewarding for many to point out all the challenges that remain rathe than cheer the chance they have to crack through.

I actually thought our defense and midfield held up really well yesterday... Got a handful of really exciting players coming through.

Our KPF on the other hand were :poov1:, with the exception of Kosi who is playing his 2nd game... TOB & Ceglar are woeful and we should just persist with moving forward without neither of them in the side.. Big ticks for Brockman... Really feel like I'm watching Mark Williams all over again!

17 points down Tob,Howe made a meal off a goal opportunity to make it 11
Let's not blame Howe who was surrounded by three players for receiving handball from TOB that should have taken the longer option that was on.

Last edited:
So nice to be at a real, live game - watching on TV sucks: you see only a small fraction of what's happening on the ground. Also weird to watch a game with a pretty decent Hawthorn crowd: we had the numbers and the support on the Northern wing.

I thought I was on BigFooty at one stage: 5 minutes into the first quarter a supporter near us yelled "soft, Brockman" - seriously, for a young player in his 2nd game!

TheFourPillars and other regular training reporters have described the quick movement and passing the team is practising each week. It started to take shape during the game: early days yet, the errors and inexperience were there for all to see, but they're trying to carry out Clarko's plan.
Richmond's pressure got to us several times, and the turnovers hurt.

I was happy with our effort: much of it was unrewarded running, very hard work in the circumstances.

We'll get better.

Dusty is one of the few players I have no disrespect for. Umpires look after him a little, but nowhere near as bad as other "stars."
He's not a dirty player, and doesn't look to the umpire every time he buggers up.
The media also don't really overhype him (he's actually good)

Yep - and its embarrassing when the media go overboard on Danger or Fyfe because Dusty is clearly above those guys - the only one I think is vaguely close to Dusty is The Bont but he has to play at that level for another 3-4 years to be in the comparison. I love the way he plays - only saw Leigh Matthews at the end of his career not in his prime, so Dusty is the best I've seen (maybe along with Buddy)

I thought I was on BigFooty at one stage: 5 minutes into the first quarter a supporter near us yelled "soft, Brockman" - seriously, for a young player in his 2nd game!
I got a text from a mate saying the same thing at that time...I must have missed whatever it was he did wrong. Going to watch it on Kayo now, see what it was.

EDIT..Just saw it, and it actually was pretty feeble. About 3 minutes in, high ball bounce on Richmond's attacking 50; he tries to tap it while avoiding body contact with the Richmond player, and they took possession. He will no doubt have it pointed out to him in the team review

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back