Preview Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn v Richmond, 28 March 2021, 1.10pm @ Melbourne Cricket Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just gotta trust our mids to be accountable when Dusty's in there, not much else you can do really. Frost is definitely our best matchup when he's playing deep forward though.
On paper Lynch is the guy that'll hurt us the most, we don't have any quality big defenders to curtail him with Sicily unavailable. If Hartigan struggles we'll have to consider swinging Kozi down back...

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just gotta trust our mids to be accountable when Dusty's in there, not much else you can do really. Frost is definitely our best matchup when he's playing deep forward though.
On paper Lynch is the guy that'll hurt us the most, we don't have any quality big defenders to curtail him with Sicily unavailable. If Hartigan struggles we'll have to consider swinging Kozi down back...
Hartigan will beat lynch. Can match him for strength 1 on 1 and got some pace to him. Lynch certainly won’t try any dirty s**t on him either.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hartigan will beat lynch. Can match him for strength 1 on 1 and got some pace to him. Lynch certainly won’t try any dirty sh*t on him either.
I think Hartigan is bigger than Lynch, but I think Lynch is more versatile/is more muscle-efficient.
While I agree Lynch won't try dirty s**t on him, I'm expecting it to be a very tight dual!

If Frost goes Martin when he moves deep down forward Jack could get off the leash! Hopefully coming from the Tigers McRae might have a few good tips for Clarko on how to manage Dusty.

You have to pick your battles. Ultimately the major key in stopping all of their forwards is stopping the ball from getting down there cleanly, and if it does make its way down there that you can either chop it off or shut down the blokes up forward that make things happen. The key is to have someone man Lynch so that he doesn't pull in contested marks, to make sure you've at least got a body against Riewoldt that he can't crash the pack and get the ball to the smalls which he does so effectively, and that you're occupying the damaging space at the fall of the ball to make sure Dusty can't pull a rabbit out his arse.

The only constant will likely be Hartigan on Lynch, the rest will rotate around - Riewoldt and Dusty are the two major concerns too as they're more liable to make things happen than Lynch.

If you don't stop the ball well enough you end up with Riewoldt having unhindered leads to the footy, and you put a player in a 1:1 spot with Dusty in which only Burgoyne has the smarts, size and strength to have any chance of winning.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Jaeger's recent history against the Tiges, doubt we'd want him to waste himself tagging.
Nobody is wasted if deployed to Martin.

Let’s be honest though, the only stopping Martin is if he has too big a Saturday night now that Melbourne’s nightlife is back or if he simply can’t be bothered with a round 2 game against a non contender. When he cares, he cannot be stopped or contained by anyone on our list.

Clarkson won’t be trying to stop Martin, he’ll be trying to restrict their overall system and hopefully McRae will give some insight into what Richmond find uncomfortable to play against.

Nobody is wasted if deployed to Martin.

Let’s be honest though, the only stopping Martin is if he has too big a Saturday night now that Melbourne’s nightlife is back or if he simply can’t be bothered with a round 2 game against a non contender. When he cares, he cannot be stopped or contained by anyone on our list.

Well they are, because as stupid as it'd be, deploying Jaegs to Dusty is removing probably our best clearance and centre clearance player to tag a Richmond a player who thrives more off the clearances of his teammates. Beating Richmond is beating their system, and part of beating that system isn't so much trying to chase Dusty but stopping the ball from getting to him forward of centre in the first place.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not giving the handball was a bold decision, but it was the fact that he turned his back that was so terrible. He had been man-handled on the ground by his opponent a minute before, and he wanted to kick that goal over his head. To then go back and miss the lot was unforgivable.
Come on mate he made one mistake for the game, ok two if include the one that hit the post, he was well within his rights to have a shot, he missed. So did Breust from an easier spot, why isn't his miss "unforgivable".

You pick one thing to take away some of the good pressure he applied, a couple of other classy handballs to teammates in space and the fact he almost had his head kicked off at one point.

I thought played alright.

Results don't really matter this year. Obviously a win is always the goal, but dropping a player after one game is of no benefit to a Kossie and/or Brockman and playing them against the most structurally disciplined side of the past 3-4 years can be a great learning experience for them.

Hoping that only those periphery players who are the ones you can't see staying once the list gets stronger are the ones who get the chop first when the likes of Scrimshaw, Wingard, etc gradually start returning.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Results don't really matter this year. Obviously a win is always the goal, but dropping a player after one game is of no benefit to a Kossie and/or Brockman and playing them against the most structurally disciplined side of the past 3-4 years can be a great learning experience for them.

Hoping that only those periphery players who are the ones you can't see staying once the list gets stronger are the ones who get the chop first when the likes of Scrimshaw, Wingard, etc gradually start returning.
Agree.

Thats why I chop Howe - he didn't have a horrible game but the other kids are just more skillful so need the games.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well they are, because as stupid as it'd be, deploying Jaegs to Dusty is removing probably our best clearance and centre clearance player to tag a Richmond a player who thrives more off the clearances of his teammates. Beating Richmond is beating their system, and part of beating that system isn't so much trying to chase Dusty but stopping the ball from getting to him forward of centre in the first place.
If we don’t use shiels on martini’s use omeara to go head to head with Martin and back omeara to win the ball. Could give him more space to work with if he doesn’t have a player hanging off of him like normal.

If we don’t use shiels on martini’s use omeara to go head to head with Martin and back omeara to win the ball. Could give him more space to work with if he doesn’t have a player hanging off of him like normal.

I'd prefer if Shiels laid off the martinis before a match, we need him at his peak!

Definitely have him go head to head with Martin in the stoppage and see if you can exploit the fact that Dusty is going to gamble that Richmond win the stoppage, just don't give him the direction to be too man conscious.

What about Worpel following Martin? Has good strength, burst of speed, and ultimately it would be a great learning opportunity for him to see first hand what Martin does.

derp de derp

Team Captain
Feb 25, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I can see Scrimshaw coming in this week and Howe or Burgers shuffling into the sub vest. I’m not sure where that leaves Downie but he needs to play a full game whether that be for Hawthorn or Box Hill.

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see us run with Lewis, Kozi and TOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAWKSBESTEVA

Club Legend
Jun 14, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we are focusing on Martin a bit too much, clarko definitely won’t be putting all his focus on stopping dusty. He will be focusing on breaking down Richmond system and making them play a style they don’t want to play. Shiels will go with dusty, doubt it’ll be a hard tag.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
QUOTE="parsons nose, post: 69164281, member: 73382"]
We have to be realistic on the degree to which we can curtail Martin’s influence. I have reservations about Howe’s capacity to shut Martin out of the game. Much prefer someone who can hurt the other way- Howe doesn’t have any weapons to do this. I’d much rather Liam be assigned to the task, at least he gives you something the other way.
[/QUOTE]

Spot on Shiels will be a good match up or I would like to see Worpel given a chance.

Let Tom&Jom hunt the footy surrounded by outside players.

Hardwick, Burgoyne, Jiath and Impey vs Rioli, Castagna, Bolton and Aarts could be a deciding factor.

I wish Sicily was playing. I actually think he would’ve been the ideal matchup for Martin when he plays forward.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Burgoyne as sub this week and more than a few times this season, he has the flexibility and helps him towards 400. Good player to insert mid game too.

so I reckon downie out, scrimshaw in, with Burgoyne to sub. Freshen him up for Easter Monday.

After the way Burgoyne played on Saturday night I will be utterly shocked if he is the sub. His value is still immense - and not just as an on-field leader.

Hartigan will beat lynch. Can match him for strength 1 on 1 and got some pace to him. Lynch certainly won’t try any dirty sh*t on him either.

Yeah not convinced about that. He's been brought in to do a role and hopefully for a season or 2 can be serviceable. However I think he's going to have plenty of tough days ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back