Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
So it seems most people reckon we played very poorly, yet we only lost by 3 goals.

Even playing half decently AND with same team I reckon would have beaten Melbourne.

Add a ruckman, another key forward and Crouch and we thrash team.

Chin up maties!!!!
Melbourne had some important players out also, can't use injuries as an excuse for this one.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
I don't think there is any need to panic. It was a poor performance, but we haven't really done it twice in a row under Ratten and there is little reason to think we won't bounce back. Some observations:

1. We got on top, Melbourne adjusted, the players didn't trust the plan with their actions, and momentum was taken from us.
2. We didn't put enough time into Oliver.
3. Didn't get much from the small forwards, but the ball needs to get to ground for them to work, and slow ball movement makes it less likely the ball will get to ground.
4. Two losses against Melbourne in similar fashion since Richo went into their coaching box.
5. Speaking of Richo, at one stage on Saturday night Membrey, McKernan, Battle and King were all on the wing within 10 metres of each other waiting for the ball to be kicked in their direction after a mark across half back. THIS. CANNOT. KEEP. HAPPENING.
6. In retropsect, sometimes you need to lean into your weakness and roll the dice in turning it into a strength. Playing both Hunter and McKernan played into Melbourne's hands. With Battle looking lost on a wing, it would have been better to have him in the McKernan role and only play one ruckman, either Hunter or McKernan.
7. Higgins can be too unselfish for his own good sometimes.
8. We have a plethora of small forwards. We need to be ruthless about only playing the ones in form. Yes, this means you, guy who finished 2nd in the B&F last year.
9. Some other aspects of Richo-ball seeping in, like passing rather than taking on the responsibility of kicking the goal yourself. This is why someone like Gresham is so important - his goal in the 4th quarter was excellent, and he wanted the responsibility.

Mar 19, 2008
Narre Warren North
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
View attachment 1088694Melbourne’s efficiency numbers. That’s an astronomical number, hopefully finally this sets off alarm bells and we get our defence sorted. This wasn’t as close as the score suggested.

What do the stats say about inside 50's that weren't kicked directly to Melbourne players?

No one mentioning it, but I wonder if our defence is missing Gears. Just his organisation and leadership. And his example and desperation. We seemed to lack structure and I’m sure he helps us with his experience and knowledge.

He may not be our best player, and he cops some stick in here. But his voice on the field seems missed.

The speed with which entries happen now could be the end of him or he could be a saviour with his work ethic. It will be interesting what effect he has in there.

100 point loss . If you are going to go for ridiculous hypertheticals why not say a 1000 point loss?

We were flattered by the scoreboard no doubt. I reckon we should have been beaten by twice the amount, but 100 point?

So we play a team with a better forward setup. So what? Another hypothetical, a different game, and we play better and dont let their forwards dominate.

You could do hypothicals about any team. Fact is we lost by 3 goals and probably should of been more, but you reckon 15 more?
Having a laugh surely.

They had our measure across the ground except in front of goal. Petracca and Fritsch missed a heap of easy conversions. Those two alone missed 6 goals and 12.19 to 11.7 suggests that had they could have won 19.12.126 to 7.11.53 without to much imagination....that's only 73 points but it's not hard to imagine that had they converted a bit more accurately they would have snuffed us and gained more momentum. We kicked a few junk time goals when the game was already over too. The way we played didn't look anywhere near them.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
They had our measure across the ground except in front of goal. Petracca and Fritsch missed a heap of easy conversions. Those two alone missed 6 goals and 12.19 to 11.7 suggests that had they could have won 19.12.126 to 7.11.53 without to much imagination....that's only 73 points but it's not hard to imagine that had they converted a bit more accurately they would have snuffed us and gained more momentum. We kicked a few junk time goals when the game was already over too. The way we played didn't look anywhere near them.
If you’re referring to the Gresham goal in the last with ten minutes left I wouldn’t call that a junk time goal. We were still in it at that point.

LiterallyNobody

30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Plus one for moving battle back too. I prefer him down back to up forward.

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
We played schmit & yet with a couple of silly NO.. STUPID free kicks in the last, while we had a slight advantage, things may have turned out different. First was Longs head high, when he didn’t even need to be in the contest & then Clarks soft scrag off the ball.
Could probably throw in heavy legs from the week before as well, so how good are we? Hopefully this week we will bounce back & we’ll find out if we’re contenders or not.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC

Really, if my aunty had balls. it is all hypothetical and you could say that about anything. Fact is they did miss, fact is they only won by three goals. First you went a 100 points and now 73 points by a linear movement of points and behinds. It IS a stretch to imagine your scenario and all you are doing is catastrophizing.
We played poorly and still only lost by three goals, probably should have been 6, but you reckon they should have won by 15 goals?

Spare me the hysteria please.

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not really interested in the scoreboard flattering us, being flat emotionally or the effects of a slog in the mud the previous week. What concerns/disappoints me is that we were nearly 3 goals up well into the second quarter and hardly fired a shot there after.

It wasn't like we were never in it. It was a totally winnable game that we got a grip on early and then let slip. Equally concerning was our atrocious ball use, not seen since the days of Cho.

Haven’t noticed this in what I saw of the two games, but is Roughy sitting on the bench? We did really well with him down there last season, and really missed him when he was not initially in the hub if I remember correctly.

Tyrian Lonestar

All Australian
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
So much said about the Dees game.

Saints and GWS were very flat after playing in the wet the previous week.

LiterallyNobody

Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
This game was so s**t.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I actually wish the dees had have kicked straighter to put the loss in perspective. I wouldn't say 100 points... but 50-70 easily. We were a shambles.

More BS catastrophizing. At the game it felt like a five or six goal loss. Our game was holding up but the turnovers in this modern game will kill you.

Hill had 7 on his own, god knows how many we had. And not under pressure, just rank turnovers, many in the midfield opening up the whole defense.

To play so badly and get beaten by only three goals tells me our backline stood up. 50-70 points easily. Yeah jog on :rolleyes:

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
So what, every team missed shots at goals. you actively wanted the Saints to lose by ten goals. Nice type of supporter. Goodbye

Childish

They kicked 12-19. They missed a lot of really gettable shots. The score flattered us... a lot.

I'm not saying our season is shot. I'm not saying it's all doom and gloom. I'm simply commenting on how we played on Saturday night.

Don't worry about what kind of supporter i am mate. I'm clearly one with a difference of opinion to you... which you seem to struggle with.

It tells me Melbourne missed shots on goal.

There wasn't a gap so great for a 10+ goal victory, disposal at this time and gameplans this stage aren't refined enough where if you have similarly tiered clubs playing each other there will be a "blowout" where one side is just done.

For all intents and purposes in my view, top 4 was best we could accomplish, we'll generally average between 6 and 9 generally speaking on last year. Dees are around the same mark, I just don't think they have the scoring potential up forward without midfield dominance to do it so are more 7-10.

That's a can be 3 goal for "tight" easy, can be 6 for "this is comfortable" and you get your 10+ for "this side did literally nothing" aka the Matty Knights special of running only 1 way.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
You wish our percentage was worse? Serious?

I want a flag.

For years I've been watching our field kicking slaughter us. It was back in spades this game. I'm really hoping it was a one off but i'm concerned. I don't know that a kick in the arse early in the season when we play that badly is necessarily a bad thing... in the greater scheme of things anyway. I know people won't agree.. that's cool.

Back