Autopsy Round 2, 2021 v Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Improvements by Warner, Wicks & McInerney have been influential I feel.

In regard to Warner, the recruiting team must be strutting through the club with heads held high. No wonder they were wrapped to get him.
Warner and Rowbottom Wicks and Mccartin some solid later picks!

Rampe has to go based on FORM. Two weeks of shitting the bed, that's the beauty of having depth. No free rides.
Playing on a rampaging bigger than gettout Texan? He was always going to be undersized. Not fully fit and probably filthy as hell that he can't quite do what he's always been able to do. Play Rampe in the pocket or as a flanker and give the bloke a break. Let him reacquaint himself with the sherrin and his confidence.

Blakey as a winger really needs the extra space that the SCG doesn’t provide. He will get plenty of space to work in this week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the reserves.

He wasn't completely terrible yesterday, but needs to find a bit of form, was over running a lot yesterday trying to do too much with the limited chances he got. Two games in the ressies to get back to basics is what he needs. Kick a few goals, get his legs under him, confidence up and ready to go again.

I can't see a better candidate to come out for Rowbottom if he's ready to go.
I'd also put Hayward on the wing ahead of Blakey against Richmond - will just bring that bit of solidity and consistency we might need.
Having a guy of good ability desperate to stay back in the team is exactly what we want next week over a guy down on confidence and flailing about IMO.

Or do we need one more big down back in Melican?

It's ridiculous we don't have a reserves team playing proper games atm. Who set up the new league's schedule?

Out: Blakey
In: Rowbottom/Hayward/Melican

Boy oh boy. Where do I begin.

Got back into Melbourne late last night after a quick slingshot trip up for this. Do not regret it.

Buddy looks real good. Trim. Fit. Flaps his arms about and is ignored. Good to see. He will only improve with more match fitness,
We simply didn't have the match up for the big Texan. Rampe is fine but isnt the right defender. In the end we didn't really need one.
The lack of clearances is a little concerning, with JPK leading that count. Rowbottom back next week will help.
Jmac was good, where Blakey wasn't.
The kids continue to shine. All 3 in Campbell, Gulden and Lmac were outstanding. They all warrant being top 3 rising star betting. Logan with that snap on his left was pure class. The confidence in that kid defies belief.

Next week is a huge test. Just need to be competitive.

Blakey looks like someone who’s a bit nervous by the recent success of the new kids in town. He wants to shine and shine early and he’s panicking.

He’s got talent. He needs to relax and just play. My armchair opinion is that he’s trying way too hard to impress and he looks like a baby giraffe instead of a leaping lizard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was the last time we scored 100+ point in 2 consecutive games?

The stand out for me was how well the squad of young guys played , and how players such as Kennedy and Parker were almost background, but still both had good games. The young gys playing with confidence takes the pressure off our senior guys

Warner, Gulden, Wicks, Campbell, Dawson, McDonald all had good games and coupled with out change of game style , its enjoyable to watch again, win or lose.

We got Buddy obsessed again for a quarter or two, so the boys need to focus on not going back to those days. With Reid, Buddy and Mcdonald all up front, their should always be a target to find.

Pleasing start to the year and a spot on the ladder in the 7-10 range seems achievable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time we scored 100+ point in 2 consecutive games?

The stand out for me was how well the squad of young guys played , and how players such as Kennedy and Parker were almost background, but still both had good games. The young gys playing with confidence takes the pressure off our senior guys

Warner, Gulden, Wicks, Campbell, Dawson, McDonald all had good games and coupled with out change of game style , its enjoyable to watch again, win or lose.

We got Buddy obsessed again for a quarter or two, so the boys need to focus on not going back to those days. With Reid, Buddy and Mcdonald all up front, their should always be a target to find.

Pleasing start to the year and a spot on the ladder in the 7-10 range seems achievable

2017 finals.

2017 had quite a few scores over 100 actually

2016 was last time scored over 100 in first two rounds

Blakey looks like someone who’s a bit nervous by the recent success of the new kids in town. He wants to shine and shine early and he’s panicking.

He’s got talent. He needs to relax and just play. My armchair opinion is that he’s trying way too hard to impress and he looks like a baby giraffe instead of a leaping lizard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep that passage of play where he tried some miracle kick instead of just letting the ball go out of bounds and reset again, cost us a goal to.

I also think that Blakey is under pressure due to the youngsters who we drafted. Our other youngsters who we drafted in the past 3 years are getting all the plaudits in the AFL the past 2 weeks and I dunno.. it feels like he is being left behind somewhat. Hence why he tries to go for the miracle, high degree of difficulty plays(like that OOB kick yesterday). Competition is stiff, with Stephens potentially waiting in the wings as well. Hope he sorts it out soon...

I also think that Blakey is under pressure due to the youngsters who we drafted. Our other youngsters who we drafted in the past 3 years are getting all the plaudits in the AFL the past 2 weeks and I dunno.. it feels like he is being left behind somewhat. Hence why he tries to go for the miracle, high degree of difficulty plays. Hope he sorts it out soon...

He is getting left behind because he is not performing.

Needs to go back to basics, reset and let the hard stuff happen naturally

Interestingly back in July 2019 the AFL published some data on distance/speed.;

Melican recorded the third quickest time, for the Swans, for that season (to date), behind Blakey & Franklin.
Similarly I recall him recording good times in pre-season testing.
Where I think his speed is lacking is that initial burst off the mark.

I actually think Lewis has 2 main issues;
the ability to read the play and that he is reactive rather than pro-active.

Incidentally two areas where McCartin excels.

Melican needs the right match-up, but I also think he playing behind his opponent is something that should be discouraged and that for Lewis positioning is king.
Get that right and I still think he can hold down a position in our backline.
Totally agree. Lewis is slow (by AFL standards) to read the play and react and consistently gets caught behind. Hence he gives away a few more frees too.
His physical attributes are fine.
Coaches will find ways to clog up the leading lanes.

Well track work and buses couldn’t spoil my day!
Loved being part of the throng heading in... loved the vibe... loved the first bounce and the roar... loved Buddy... loved Logan and Reidy adding to their tallies while in the presence of His Holiness... loved The Chad’s first... and second... loved Oh Errol... loved Neil Diamond... loved having the luxury of dismissing Q4... looooved Cheer Cheer.
All washed down with a couple of ice cold ales and Thai style fish patties and salad... life’s good

ONE MORE THING.

Leading tackler last week was rowbottom.

We missed having him the middle to curtail the opposition BIG time. Hopefully we can find someone that can play rowbottoms role when rowbottom can't play.

Honestly watching the midfield operating minus him just confirmed to me that he is the cleanest mid on our list. We struggled to identify and get the ball to targets from the inside all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back