Autopsy Round 2, 2021 v Adelaide Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Blakey did some nice things in the first half looking at the replay - helped a couple of goals get through with nice play.

His biggest error IMO was not striking the bloke that took out McDonald front on after he took the mark on the fifty. Take the two weeks and smack him next time. Hold his shirt while you do it if it'll save you a week. But do it. Opposition need to know - or have some expectation there will be immediate physical consequences to taking out our best players like that. It was embarrassing nobody else knocked him over tbh - only looked a young guy too. The next 5 minutes McDonald had two terrible kicks. Reckon he was a bit dazed after his head hit the ground.

AFL is a much cleaner game than the old days, but physical dominance still plays a role. One area we might lack is a player to put fear into our opponents.

I though Saints lost a final last year to Richmond the second they allowed Cotchin in the first half to intentionally coat-hanger Jones (could have lead to serious neck injury), and then laugh in their faces due to the lack of consequence.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Tex didn't kill us on the lead. He got four goals from HTB decisions. He created those opportunities so good luck to him but it wasn't like he cut us up. I think our backs made some poor choices that gave up goals so that's something we can fix.

Lesson dont try and break a Tex tackle dude is strong as hell.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Blakey fumbled an enormous amount yesterday - the sort of thing that happens when you’re a bit down on confidence.

The talent is there. He’ll come good.

Someone said the other day that he looks like the sort where it will all click in one game and never look back. In other words he needs one breakout game and that’s it. I like him so I believe he’ll come good, it’s so early, but sometimes that breakout game never comes and that would be a shame.

Maybe the open space of the MCG will do him good, if he’s not dropped for Rowy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Lesson dont try and break a Tex tackle dude is strong as hell.
Exactly. He deserves those goals because he monstered the defenders with strong tackling.

My point was more if he'd kicked six on us getting loose and marking uncontested I'd be more concerned.

Cunningham - how did he go yesterday? - I still can't make up my mind, talk to me people.

Looks like he could be a really good small defender in the vein of Nick Smith, though obviously not on Smith's insane level. He's probably the least flashy member of the 22, so I can see why his name comes to mind when looking at options to be culled to make way for an exciting youngster. But he's one of the more important players in our side IMO.

Blakey was good round 1

not so good round 2 because he fumbled nearly every opportunity but he was getting those opportunities

Put the pitch forks away for everyone at present and give them a chance to hit form in the season. Two games in give them a chance.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Cunningham - how did he go yesterday? - I still can't make up my mind, talk to me people.
Lost contact with McAdam in the fourth quarter and let him kick three late ones for a total of four which annoyed me. Was pretty solid before that and doing well working the ball out of the defensive 50.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
He was fine for most of the game, but when Adelaide moved McAdam to FF, isolating Cunningham, he struggled.

I'd imagine it is something that more teams will try.
Potentially an issue given Richmond's small forwards.

One of the difficulties is that we really don't have another obvious choice (other than Rampe) if a team plays a small as a leading FF out of the square.
Ideally we'd position up so that leading space is taken away.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Lost contact with McAdam in the fourth quarter and let him kick three late ones for a total of four which annoyed me. Was pretty solid before that and doing well working the ball out of the defensive 50.

Cunningham along with Lloyd are not ideal 1on1 defenders.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He was fine for most of the game, but when Adelaide moved McAdam to FF, isolating Cunningham, he struggled.

One of the difficulties is that we really don't have another obvious choice (other than Rampe) if a team plays a small as a leading FF out of the square.

Missing a Nick Smith type defender.

Blakey was good round 1

not so good round 2 because he fumbled nearly every opportunity but he was getting those opportunities

Put the pitch forks away for everyone at present and give them a chance to hit form in the season. Two games in give them a chance.

I don't think anyone is writing Blakey's year off. I think he can still absolutely hit his straps but the reality is that if Rowbottom is fit, then someone has to make way.

In fairness though, the whole team was disjointed in that second half and our structures were out of whack as certain players spent a lot more time on the bench. So I don't think it was an overly accurate representation of Cunningham's form. He was superb in round 1.

I don't think anyone is writing Blakey's year off. I think he can still absolutely hit his straps but the reality is that if Rowbottom is fit, then someone has to make way.

Where did I say people are witing off his season ? they are calling for his head after a poor game. It was an almost game. Off course he comes under scrutiny as with others but it's also a great position where it's also match ups that may decide who comes in and goes out. May we have those problems all year. Round 2 after two wins is hardly the time for the old needs time in the reserves palava. If he goes out because of a fitter/better match up so be it but hope he gets a chance at another. In my years in the game you can have those where every bounce goes your way and others where you try so hard you just create a messy result. He at least gets another run for me on a more suited bigger ground. I agree though that Rowbottom is a certain starter and whoever misses out is well unlucky.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Hate this board when the knockers are out, but finally, someone has a good word about Reid at long last. Heard Brereton compliment him on a marking clearance last week for a Swans goal. Marked both forward and back early last week and he is kicking goals again.
Again today, the quiet achiever, with an obvious shepherd for a swans goal, nothing said, a good mark and goal a litttle later.
Like his time in the ruck, only a small part of what he does, but his ability to play three roles is so valuable over all.
As I have said previously on a few occasions, the knockers drive me crazy and I find it hard to take when "experts" pile on.
Just a few quickly who gave suffered over tine, Jack, Towers, Robinson....now Florent and Reid...and can you believe it Rampe???? All Australian, ran round last year with a broken hand, plays on blokes much much bigger, week after week and never shirks an issue. He even climbs goal posts for the Swans.
Might have a few more weeks away while I cool down. Sickening, from computer post champions...you're kidding me!!!
Hate this board when the knockers are out, but finally, someone has a good word about Reid at long last. Heard Brereton compliment him on a marking clearance last week for a Swans goal. Marked both forward and back early last week and he is kicking goals again.
Again today, the quiet achiever, with an obvious shepherd for a swans goal, nothing said, a good mark and goal a litttle later.
Like his time in the ruck, only a small part of what he does, but his ability to play three roles is so valuable over all.
As I have said previously on a few occasions, the knockers drive me crazy and I find it hard to take when "experts" pile on.
Just a few quickly who gave suffered over tine, Jack, Towers, Robinson....now Florent and Reid...and can you believe it Rampe???? All Australian, ran round last year with a broken hand, plays on blokes much much bigger, week after week and never shirks an issue. He even climbs goal posts for the Swans.
Might have a few more weeks away while I cool down. Sickening, from computer post champions...you're kidding me!!!

You know what ? What you have posted here is an opinion. Just as people who you are pissing on here have a right to. It is the way they see it. If it bothers you so much don’t read it.

Where did I say people are witing off his season ? they are calling for his head after a poor game. It was an almost game. Off course he comes under scrutiny as with others but it's also a great position where it's also match ups that may decide who comes in and goes out. May we have those problems all year. Round 2 after two wins is hardly the time for the old needs time in the reserves palava. If he goes out because of a fitter/better match up so be it but hope he gets a chance at another. In my years in the game you can have those where every bounce goes your way and others where you try so hard you just create a messy result. He at least gets another run for me on a more suited bigger ground. I agree though that Rowbottom is a certain starter and whoever misses out is well unlucky.

Fair enough. I must've interpreted your post wrong.

I agree with you about everything else. Blakey's such a unique player that the ebbs and flows in his form are always gonna be more noticeable than most other players. Just out of curiosity, who would you take out for Rowbottom?

Who would have thought 18 months ago we would be debating giving senior players a rest due to the depth and competition for spots created by our young guns? For so many years we have been playing underdone senior players on reputation due to a lack of depth and injury issues. A good spot to be in.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Just quickly read through the last few pages on this thread..
I think its important to understand that ..
- the game has changed
- The Swans game style has change
- The Swans are in the guts of a re-build.

Calls for Hewett to play in the mids and Mills to go back to defence?? Make sense, but... Hewett (who I don't reckon will be part of our future midfield) might be too slow for the game and game plan to play in the mids, but hes obviously a very good player so the Swans are trying to find a spot for him. Mills' 2nd game as a mid and he did alright yesterday.. and was BOG in rd 1. Mills seems to be being groomed as the future leader of the midfield (and good, He's an elite talent and will become an elite leader)

Criticisms for defenders?? Its a different beast this year.. ball is coming in soo much quicker... one on ones everywhere!.. Cunningham, Rampe, Dawson, McCartin, Lloyd, Campbell are all adjusting to the new pace.. and all defenders from all teams need more help from up the ground. I reckon its good to reserve judgement.
Lings speed will suit the faster game, look forward to seeing him when he gets his opportunity

Clearances.. yep a concern, but..
JPK is still so important to help the young mids, He's got a big role to play this year. Warner, Rowbum, Florent, Mills, & JMac, Blakey, Gulden etc are still very young and will need a few years before being at the top of their game
Dont be too critical of Blakey, he is still a gun kid.. but hes got competition now. JMac & Stephens Outside mids who are quick, good kicks and can play inside, Florent can play that role too.. then there's Campbell, Dawson, Cunningham who are stuck in defence but all three can play that role really well.

Joycerama

Team Captain
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
In the reserves.

He wasn't completely terrible yesterday, but needs to find a bit of form, was over running a lot yesterday trying to do too much with the limited chances he got. Two games in the ressies to get back to basics is what he needs. Kick a few goals, get his legs under him, confidence up and ready to go again.

I can't see a better candidate to come out for Rowbottom if he's ready to go.
I'd also put Hayward on the wing ahead of Blakey against Richmond - will just bring that bit of solidity and consistency we might need.
Having a guy of good ability desperate to stay back in the team is exactly what we want next week over a guy down on confidence and flailing about IMO.

Or do we need one more big down back in Melican?

It's ridiculous we don't have a reserves team playing proper games atm. Who set up the new league's schedule?

Out: Blakey
In: Rowbottom/Hayward/Melican
Hayward and consistency is an oxymoron.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Just out of curiosity, who would you take out for Rowbottom?
Thats the question.. If injuries dont dictate that answer, then..
I reckon the Swans will be wanting to get a string of games into all the young crew.. players like JMac, Campbell, Gulden, Blackey, Stephens, Rowbum, Florent, Warner, Wicks, Gould?, Ling, McDonald, Hayward, McLean, Armatey? Ronke?, Bell.. I reckon will all (or mostly all) be rotated. I reckon these rotations will be kinda pre-planned within a framework which considers the development of all these guys. Its a good year to do this, We might make finals (my money says we will) but it'll be a stretch to win the granny.

so I have no idea of the answer to who does Rowbum replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back