Review Round 2, 2021 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Gray, Port Adelaide, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Zach Merrett, Essendon, during the fourth quarter of the Round Two match between Port Adelaide and Essendon, played at Adelaide Oval on Saturday March 28.

In summary he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.
The AFL are a bunch of reactionaries. They ruined the game by changing the rules years ago to satisfy commercial television stations. They stuffed up by telling umpires to keep screaming "play on, play on", ignoring infractions of the laws of the game thinking that it would speed up the game, only to have the Rodney Eades' and Ross Lyons' of this world use the laws to turn Aussie rules into a dire contest.

Now, they are reacting to the calls for protecting the head by outlawing the bump! Well bugger me! The head has always been sacrosanct in Australian rules football and it's because the AFL and the fan boys in the media of days past that snipers like Hocking, Bickley, McDermott and Smart etc etc got away relatively scot free after targeting player's heads that players thought that it was OK to smack people in the noggin.

Tipungwuti being penalised for making Hartlett earn the kick was disgraceful. Dangerfield's suspension is disgraceful as is this crap about Robbie Gray having to answer a charge of "Rough Conduct" or pay 2 grand to not answer to it which finances another cocktail party for McLachlan and the boys.

I see the trauma caused by head injuries nearly every day in my life away from Big Footy so please don't anyone think that I'm condoning impact on the head.

In soccer, it's become "fashionable" (there's that word again!) for players to jump to head the ball and put their elbows above their shoulders and fling them side ways to discourage other players to jump for the ball and risk getting whacked and if they do contest the ball, they do get whacked but referees just don't see anything wrong with it. That to is against the laws of that game and in soccer as well, there has been an outcry because of the long term injuries of concussion and the like.

lol. “We”
Well Bomber, if people are going to continually bring it up and take pot shots at me, I'll defend myself against the groupies and the stirrers. Don't f**k around and pretend that you are a clean skin over all of this angst at my honest appraisal of a Port player. You just haven't got the balls to directly comment to me; you snipe from a distance.

Devon Smith and Zach Merrett both leave Essendon end of this year imo.

Most likely of the two is Smith. Essendon might offer Merrett the world and he will sign it, then live out his life in financial security without having to lift a finger.

Smith on the other hand is ultra competitive and will try go somewhere in contention.

Well Bomber, if people are going to continually bring it up and take pot shots at me, I'll defend myself against the groupies and the stirrers. Don't f**k around and pretend that you are a clean skin over all of this angst at my honest appraisal of a Port player. You just haven't got the balls to directly comment to me; you snipe from a distance.

I’ve commented to you directly several times. Not much has come back but ranty nonsense.

You were triggered by some innocuous praise of Aliir and in doing so made some ridiculous claims about his “deplorable“ game against North, suggesting that our captain should “bash him senseless”.

You were called out on it and proceeded to double down with your attack on Aliir and calling anyone who challenged you a “groupie”. This included making the bizarre reference to Aliir being a “fashionable” player, whatever that means. (Posts challenging you on this got deleted, so I’m not going to go down that path again)

The guy has only played two games for us, yet you’ve penned more diatribe against him over a few days than you’ve posted on this board for months.

The issue here is not whether I have the balls to challenge you or not, it’s whether you have the brains to comprehend why you’ve been called out and the self-awareness to do something about it.

Or maybe just stick to the anti-vax threads.
They seem to be more your level.

Game Day review thread: northa get your blood pressure checked
Nah, what I should do is to reconsider if I should hang around these pages which is supposed to be for Port Adelaide Football Club supporters to express their opinions but unfortunately, it seems that the only opinions that are acceptable, are those that correspond with the what's trendy.

I've had some johnny-come-lately suggesting that I'm racist, I've had some moron bring up Zak Butters and ask whether I'm going to suggest he was weak, as if I have no idea about football. Well I've been around football and sports for longer than most around here have been alive and far from being the dinosaur that I'm made out to be be some, it is part of my vocation to be across all the latest innovations in exercise physiology and rehabilitation as well as developments in exercise and conditioning.

The one thing that is the hardest thing to get through to the younger people coming through in exercise and sports science and the execution of these attained skills is that there as some principles that cannot be compromised, regardless of what they read on face book and twitter; as a basic example, stretching. Not just the correct way to stretch but importantly, the order in which you stretch muscle groups. In the same way, there are principles in sport psychology that remain constant ie. the concept of learning through repetition and yet I get on here and make an honest assessment of what I see as the shortcomings of a player and his performance and I get lambasted.

I coped it with Chaplin, I copped it with Gray. I said Chaplin was the most cowardly player that has ever been presented with a guernsey at Port and it took months of abuse towards me by your types before it disappeared when the groupies finally realised he was indeed a coward on the football field. The same happened with Robbie Gray where people conveniently overlooked his bad kicking for goal, his lairising, his lack of chasing, his reluctance to bend his back and get the ball below his knees and the number of tackles he missed and when I pointed this out it, was another you "shot Bambi moment".

Nah it's not my blood pressure I should check, it's the kind of people I hang around with on here that I need to reassess.

I’ve commented to you directly several times. Not much has come back but ranty nonsense.

You were triggered by some innocuous praise of Aliir and in doing so made some ridiculous claims about his “deplorable“ game against North, suggesting that our captain should “bash him senseless”.

You were called out on it and proceeded to double down with your attack on Aliir and calling anyone who challenged you a “groupie”. This included making the bizarre reference to Aliir being a “fashionable” player, whatever that means. (Posts challenging you on this got deleted, so I’m not going to go down that path again)

The guy has only played two games for us, yet you’ve penned more diatribe against him over a few days than you’ve posted on this board for months.

The issue here is not whether I have the balls to challenge you or not, it’s whether you have the brains to comprehend why you’ve been called out and the self-awareness to do something about it.

Or maybe just stick to the anti-vax threads.
They seem to be more your level.
No you did not comment to me directly several times.

I replied to the praise that Aliir got because anyone with an idea of football would have been bitterly disappointed in his weak attack on the ball and the player in the North game. I said that he should toughen up and maybe our captain should bash him up to get him to understand that he is playing league footy for Ports and if people don't understand my intended figurative speech, then I apologise. I don't mean that he should be taken out the back of the bikes sheds and given a hiding. I meant that he should be given what for by our Captain and other players for his Chaplinesque debut for Port.

My original post was severe but the reaction it got from the fashionistas, the lovers of fashion and Aliir Aliir, like Robbie Gray, like Messi, like Ronaldo etc are "fashionable" types. I'm sorry if you are not familiar with that term. It's the same as I not being familiar with a s**t load of text abbreviations but I don't have a go at people for using terms I am not familiar with.

The only thing that I was called out about was my impudence for daring to call out a prized recruits s**t first game at Port Adelaide. I don't give a f**k if a new player makes mistakes initially when he comes to the club and Aliir didn't make any mistakes with ball in hand, dropped a few marks, fumbled once or twice, that's OK but to play half-heartedly, to treat the game as just a bit of fun, a bit of a joke, to not hold onto tackles that any league footballer should because he just wasn't hard enough makes his debut deplorable and it is not good enough from a suitably experienced league footballer. What are we? A f****ing joke club? As a Port man I was offended by his lack of commitment and attack on the ball, as I would be regardless of a player's name or whether that player was playing his first game or his 100th.

As for the anti-vax comment, that shows your level.

My original post was severe but the reaction it got from the fashionistas, the lovers of fashion and Aliir Aliir, like Robbie Gray, like Messi, like Ronaldo etc are "fashionable" types. I'm sorry if you are not familiar with that term. It's the same as I not being familiar with a sh*t load of text abbreviations but I don't have a go at people for using terms I am not familiar with.

I’m sorry but this is just incoherent babble.

I said that he should toughen up and maybe our captain should bash him up to get him to understand that he is playing league footy for Ports and if people don't understand my intended figurative speech, then I apologise.

It was a bizarre thing to post, and a total over reaction. I get that you’re passionate but yours is one of a multitude of opinions here. Not everyone agrees on everything.

Throwing tantrums because “groupies” don‘t agree with you just makes it more likely that you’ll get blowback from other posters. Chill the * out and stop being so righteous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sorry but this is just incoherent babble.
I am not going to insult you. I take great offence at you saying that what I posted was incoherent babble and to say that smacks of trolling but I am not going to insult you. What I posted was in good faith and quite simple to understand I believe.

It was a bizarre thing to post, and a total over reaction. I get that you’re passionate but yours is one of a multitude of opinions here. Not everyone agrees on everything.

Throwing tantrums because “groupies” don‘t agree with you just makes it more likely that you’ll get blowback from other posters. Chill the fu** out and stop being so righteous.
It's not about people disagreeing, it's about people having a go at me citing all manner of things other than the actual performance itself and I'm just not going to sit there and cop what I consider to be personal abuse from people Bomber, regardless if they think that my assesment is way off the mark. Geez, some punk even suggested I was a racist.

I am not going to insult you. I take great offence at you saying that what I posted was incoherent babble and to say that smacks of trolling but I am not going to insult you. What I posted was in good faith and quite simple to understand I believe.

It’s not a troll. That paragraph didn’t make any sense.

Besides that, I know what fashionable means. I just don’t get why you’d apply it to Aliir.
I have a hunch why, but I’ve been assured that isn’t the case.

Geez, some punk even suggested I was a racist.

To be brutally honest, that’s what it felt like at first.

It then appeared to become a doubling down on the critique when you realised that it might be construed that way.

Edit: this is about how your posts were perceived, not about your intent.

It's not about people disagreeing, it's about people having a go at me citing all manner of things other than the actual performance itself and I'm just not going to sit there and cop what I consider to be personal abuse from people Bomber, regardless if they think that my assesment is way off the mark. Geez, some punk even suggested I was a racist.
I’m a punk and I find that comment obtuse and offensive!

To be brutally honest, that’s what it felt like at first.

It then appeared to become a doubling down on the critique when you realised that it might be construed that way.

Edit: this is about how your posts were perceived, not about your intent.
If it felt to you like a race thing, I think it's worth thinking about why you felt that way when there was absolutely nothing in his posts to suggest it had anything to do with race.

If it felt to you like a race thing, I think it's worth thinking about why you felt that way when there was absolutely nothing in his posts to suggest it had anything to do with race.

You‘re barking up the wrong tree here.

There was something northa's posts - enough to give me a hmmmm moment reading it.

... Geez, some punk even suggested I was a racist.
I asked what is it about Aliir that sets him apart from the other players that took the field that caused you to single him out for such vitriol and calls for acts of extreme violence against him. Does that make me the "punk" suggesting that you are a racist or is that just your interpretation of my question?

My post was deleted by the mods because apparently it is OK for you to call for Aliir to be bashed senseless on this forum but it is not OK to question your motives for your extreme dislike of Aliir.

For all I know you may be a closet fashionista and be extremely offended by Aliir's haircut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back