Autopsy Round 2, 2022: Fremantle v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Father-son is a rule that should be abolished - it's contrary to the objectives of the draft. The existence of the rule is another confirmation that AFL is a small, idiosyncratic, anachronistic, regional league more interested in romance than fairness.
Yeah nah.
Without the romance of footy, why would I give a s**t who wins.
It's just people I don't know kicking a piece of leather around a patch of grass (for me, on the other side of the planet).
You're being overly-analytical when a lot of our enjoyment of footy comes from the emotional buy-in.
Some things are fair, others are unfair. Some things work for us, others against us (as Saints supporters, more things seem to work against us than for us, but that's life). It keeps things interesting.
I don't want to draft some son of a Carlton great if he's grown up dreaming of following in his dad's footsteps, and still fully intends to do so. As far as I know, they don't have to do that if they don't want to - but if they do want to, I think it's good that they're able to.

Father-son is a rule that should be abolished - it's contrary to the objectives of the draft. The existence of the rule is another confirmation that AFL is a small, idiosyncratic, anachronistic, regional league more interested in romance than fairness.
They’ll change this rule the year before the first Riewoldt son is due to be in the draft, after he dominates junior footy.

James Riewoldt will go on to play 1000 games for Hawthorn kicking over 4000 goals.

They’ll change this rule the year before the first Riewoldt son is due to be in the draft, after he dominates junior footy.

James Riewoldt will go on to play 1000 games for Hawthorn kicking over 4000 goals.
That would be his fault for not requesting a trade to us. Almost betrayal. Any father son that ends up at another team should request a trade to us ;) Noah Anderson come on down

Yeah nah.
Without the romance of footy, why would I give a s**t who wins.
It's just people I don't know kicking a piece of leather around a patch of grass (for me, on the other side of the planet).
You're being overly-analytical when a lot of our enjoyment of footy comes from the emotional buy-in.
Some things are fair, others are unfair. Some things work for us, others against us (as Saints supporters, more things seem to work against us than for us, but that's life). It keeps things interesting.
I don't want to draft some son of a Carlton great if he's grown up dreaming of following in his dad's footsteps, and still fully intends to do so. As far as I know, they don't have to do that if they don't want to - but if they do want to, I think it's good that they're able to.

This sort of attitude implies football isn't important. Because fairness is important.

If we have the worst team and that son of a Carlton great is the best player available, we should have access to him.

My emotional buy-in is completely unaffected by the lack of father-sons running around for St Kilda, but my respect for the game dwindles when success is partly built on the happenstance of former player's ability to sire sons. Why not just roll dice to see who wins?

The rule just confirms what a Mickey Mouse league we all care about.

So we don't get any father/sons - but when a son rocks up that's half decent at footy, his old man never played quite enough games.

Seems about right...

Bowey was in Melbourne's top 3-4 players against GC, he was phenomenal.

Looked like one of those days where the pill just kept finding him to be honest.

They interviewed him on 360 yesterday as part of the rising star award. He had a Melbourne guernsey and a St Kilda guernsey hanging up in the background which suggested he must still be very proud of his connection to the Saints.

What's wrong with that? Why does it need to be anything other than that?

So we don't get any father/sons - but when a son rocks up that's half decent at footy, his old man never played quite enough games.

Seems about right...

Bowey was in Melbourne's top 3-4 players against GC, he was phenomenal.

Does Goose Maguire have any kids?

I would almost guarantee knowing our luck that he/she would become a superstar

What's wrong with that? Why does it need to be anything other than that?

Because it has been an impediment to us winning a premiership: dumb, preventable luck.

Tom Hawkins was the consensus best player in the 2006 draft. He should have gone to Carlton. Instead he played in a premiership against us.

Because it has been an impediment to us winning a premiership: dumb, preventable luck.

Tom Hawkins was the consensus best player in the 2006 draft. He should have gone to Carlton. Instead he played in a premiership against us.

The worst thing about that was that Selwood was just a gift. Rather than having to use that pick on a key forward they were desperate for they got Selwood.

This sort of attitude implies football isn't important. Because fairness is important.

If we have the worst team and that son of a Carlton great is the best player available, we should have access to him.

My emotional buy-in is completely unaffected by the lack of father-sons running around for St Kilda, but my respect for the game dwindles when success is partly built on the happenstance of former player's ability to sire sons. Why not just roll dice to see who wins?

Nah, it's a pretty bloody awesome league the AFL.

We may not run things the exact way the NFL or NBA do it, but there is nothing wrong that.

Swings and round abouts with the father sons. We haven't had much luck with it but it's one of the great things of our game watching players run out in the same jumper as their old man 20 years prior.

We may not run things the exact way the NFL or NBA do it, but there is nothing wrong that.

Swings and round abouts with the father sons. We haven't had much luck with it but it's one of the great things of our game watching players run out in the same jumper as their old man 20 years prior.

I'm against anything that doesn't advantage us. Bulldogs got gifted a ton of FS kids that became guns then JUH for free on top of that. It's insane how we haven't managed to find anything so far. We've done a lot of self inflicted stuff over the years but apart from being a bit prone to sacking everyone this is largely outside our control.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy will never be fair.

I see your point but I do like the FS rule... it's a bit fairer now than it was previously.

We do have a heap of boys out of that 2004-2010 group that will hopefully swing the lever our way finally.

Does anyone want to explain how we still run with vanilla seb ross who can only kick short when we have some talented youngsters running around for Sandy???

Does anyone want to explain how we still run with vanilla seb ross who can only kick short when we have some talented youngsters running around for Sandy???
even though his skills are not as flashy as his experience should require he does have the game sense to get to contests at the right time and get the ball. The young players are still learning there so even though they might be more talented often find themselves off the pace. They'll build that and then be ready.

When you look at the 2009 grand final Geelong had Hawkins, Ablett and Scarlett. 3 superstars that the competition gifted them.
Do they win if they just have draft picks and trades, like us, on the field?
It's a sporting competition, not a sentimentalists convention.

Dean Rice was my favourite player when I was a kid. Seeing his son run around for St Kilda was nice, but it didn't really do anything for me.

You know what does? Watching us win.

I think we don't have any ready to go kids at the moment. If you read Batch's review of the VFL we have Owens and Windhager who played a bit there but neither dominated while catching up to the speed of VFL and it sounds as though Connolly is the only listed player who made an impression and he's a HBF a position we are well covered in.

Seb Ross has been pretty good so far this season IMO. If we had a guy like Bytel demanding a spot you'd certainly consider it but right now the cupboard is pretty bare.

Football isn't important.
It's our emotional buy-in that makes it important.

As for Rice, his kid wasnt that great, his dad was good, but not a legend of the club or league, and also, it might not float your boat but plenty enough people really get into the family tradition.

If the competition was fair in ever other way, I'd probably agree with you. But it's already unfair and unbalanced in a hundred differenr ways. This is just another one on the pile. Fixing it won't change much, and a lot of people will think we've lost more than we've gained if we change it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back