Autopsy Round 2, 2022: Hawks disconnect the power

Remove this Banner Ad

FOxf0DJaAAEU_Rh

Does everyone remember that time when we got smashed in preseason and many on here carried on like it meant something? Can we all now agree that preseason form means nothing and avoid the meltdowns next offseason when we look like s**t?

I thought we’d agreed that back somewhere between 2013-15 :)

I thought Worpel was just about our best player with the way he threw himself at the contest.
Played the ultimate team game and lead the team in pressure acts by a fair margin.

So great to watch a game where you can relax and just enjoy the last 20 minutes of a game. The game was all over and I could open that Pol Roger so early!

1. About Port: Russell Ebert: what’s the fuss about, he played for Norf and he was a dud? And it’s a pity you took Motlop from the Cats, I’d prefer him to stink them up, although he did his usual crap for you.

2. Great win, but it’s always hard to get much out of a dominant win (or a terrible loss). You just enjoy it, and hope it continues.

3. For those revising history and announcing how terrible Clarkson was, he’s a legend of the club so fu** off. He’s coached 4 more premierships than anyone on BigFooty, the most of any Hawthorn coach, and deserves our eternal gratitude and admiration..

4. In the same vein, Sam Mitchell has done nothing, NOTHING. There’s only one game that matters and it’s played in late September. No other win matters, and this win is just irrelevant in the grand scheme.

5. I did like the high intensity attack and defence, players running hard, kamikaze throwing themselves into packs, just great. It was ugly at times, but so effective. Port was shell-shocked, and it led to some great turnovers and an open forward line

6. Don’t like praising individuals but Jai Newcombe is such a goer - inside muscle power and outside run, great combination. And he does it with a smile on his face!

7. And I want to acknowledge the Hawks woman trainer with the water bottles who was on screen 19 times during the game, 30 - 40 seconds at a time. Make sure you save the video!

Go Hawks!

Russell Ebert passed away. This was the first home game for Port since that occurred late last year.

clown post.jpeg

People have talked about Ports clearance and possession dominance but if we look at the meters gained stat despite having 6 of the top 7 highest disposal winners they only had 2 players in the top 7 for meters gained (Hawthorn had 8 of the top 12).

Ports top 3 players(Wines, Amon, Boak) for meters gain went at 45.5%, 59.1% and 61.1% by foot vs Hawthorns top 3 (Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Sicily) 85.7%, 82.4% and 86.7%

~ Hawthorn had 11 of the top 14 players by kicking efficiency

For score involvements only one of our top 6 players came from a midfielder(JOM), while Port had 5 of their top 6 coming from midfielder players. For me it would seem our forwards were much more willing to push up and down the ground to create space and creating options while transitioning from the backline not only clearing space for our forwards that were behind the zone to lead into but lowering the load of our midfielders throughout the match.

This is why we were able to create so many one on one's and give our forward the best chance to compete by making all their defender accountable 100% of the time, they could never get settled due to them chasing tail all night and running them off their legs. Despite Worpel, O'merea and MacDonald being our highest inside 50 players who all had pretty low kicking efficiency we were still able to take advantage of Port's broken zones.

Last edited:
Having watched most but not all of the replay, I couldn't help thinking that Port had adopted our old game plan. Lots of backwards and short kicks. Good for the stats but not for territory. Maybe we forced them into it or maybe it really is their game plan - either way, it worked for us, and we just kept pressing forward.

Clarko actually brought a version of chokkas port game plan to hawthorn but made it much more successful. That is a long time ago now though

There are some ratings in there that are quite baffling, Ryan Burton being rated higher than most of our defenders despite his absolute butchery of the ball being a main one.

1. About Port: Russell Ebert: what’s the fuss about, he played for Norf and he was a dud?

Seriously - disrespecting a bloke who died recently? Did that make you feel good? Go check out his Wikipedia page, which isn’t that hard a task if you were genuinely curious why he was being honoured, as to why the PAFC felt it suitable to honour him. Not only a legend of their club but seemingly a very good bloke also - not sure what compelled you to want to s**t on people respecting a champion of their club, but it was beyond poor form.

Also - 25 games, averaging 21 touches and 9 Brownlow votes in his first year in the VFL at the age of 30, all while living in another state while playing in Victoria makes him a dud? Okay bro, and how was your Aussie Rules career?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously - disrespecting a bloke who died recently? Did that make you feel good? Go check out his Wikipedia page, which isn’t that hard a task if you were genuinely curious as to why he was being honoured, as to why the PAFC felt it suitable to honour him. Not only a legend of their club but seemingly a very good bloke also - not sure what compelled you to want to s**t on people respecting a champion of their club, but it was beyond poor form.

Also - 25 games, averaging 21 touches and 9 Brownlow votes in his first year in the VFL at the age of 30, all while living in another state while playing in Victoria makes him a dud? Okay bro, and how was your Aussie Rules career?

How ironic that he would post that nonsense about Russell Ebert first up.

Only to have a tanty and claim posters are, "re-writing history and announcing how terrible Clarko was," (which is something no one has actually done) and then use the BigFooty classic, "how many flags have you coached?"

Ah Davo23, how many AFL games have you played?

Seriously - disrespecting a bloke who died recently? Did that make you feel good? Go check out his Wikipedia page, which isn’t that hard a task if you were genuinely curious as to why he was being honoured, as to why the PAFC felt it suitable to honour him. Not only a legend of their club but seemingly a very good bloke also - not sure what compelled you to want to s**t on people respecting a champion of their club, but it was beyond poor form.

Well said . It was embarrassing reading that on our board tbh.

He is a legend of Port Adelaide and Australian Rules Football , a champion on and off the field .

I was really comfortable at halftime in this game - because Port couldn't go up another level with effort. They were putting in, they were trying their best. We just broke down their system and Hinkley didn't have the chops to counter act.

If we had been relatively even with possessions and contests at halftime I would have been a bit nervous that Port would hit another gear and we might fold. But they were at max output and down by five goals at halftime.

Tall poppy syndrome at its best. I reckon he’s doing a decent job with his comments and insights. What do you want him to do? Sit around at home and eat all day? Take up a gambling habit? Good on him I say.
Not try to pretend he’s someone he’s not. How are you this morning Jordie?

I was really comfortable at halftime in this game - because Port couldn't go up another level with effort. They were putting in, they were trying their best. We just broke down their system and Hinkley didn't have the chops to counter act.

If we had been relatively even with possessions and contests at halftime I would have been a bit nervous that Port would hit another gear and we might fold. But they were at max output and down by five goals at halftime.

Wish I had that level of serenity. I did my usual thing and told a mate of mine (who doesn't even support the Hawks) off at 3/4 time for saying he couldn't believe Port would be 0 from 2 to start the season.

Not try to pretend he’s someone he’s not. How are you this morning Jordie?
Not Jordie at all. Just a fan of people who try to get the most out of their lives by trying new and different things that challenge them. Not a fan of people who sit on the sidelines sh!tting on people.

Great win & good to see hard decisions made at the end of last season are pushing this great club forward. How good is to see attractive offensive footy being played rather than the dour defensive crap we have had to sit through for much of the last 4 seasons.

This could be just me and my brown & gold glasses on but FFS how many times to did Port illegally dispose of the ball and its called play on, absolute blight on the game. Practice matches these were being called the real stuff starts and blinkers go on.

Didn’t notice these and don’t recall free kicks but obviously they were called

I remember seeing the Maginness one, it happened at CHB at or around the 50m arc in the 3rd Quarter iirc. It thought it was pretty soft at the time and a pretty good tackle really and should have been HtB against Motlop.

They were (both?) '"slinging" style tackles. Both got frees I think.

I thought that outcome was pretty poor considering Boak basically gave Cornes an uppercut and there were various off the ball incidents by Port which have gone straight through to the keeper. Ohwell.

People have talked about Ports clearance and possession dominance but if we look at the meters gained stat despite having 6 of the top 7 highest disposal winners they only had 2 players in the top 7 for meters gained (Hawthorn had 8 of the top 12).

Ports top 3 players(Wines, Amon, Boak) for meters gain went at 45.5%, 59.1% and 61.1% by foot vs Hawthorns top 3 (Hardwick, Scrimshaw, Sicily) 85.7%, 82.4% and 86.7%
Is that a surprise though? We flogged them so the ball must have been moving towards our goal a lot more than the other way.

There was a stat that Hamish McLachlan said on the broadcast - I think it was during the 3rd quarter - that the last 13 times Hawthorn have started 2-0, we've gone on to make finals. And of those 13 times, 6 of them we've gone on to win the flag...

Anyone bothered to check if that's true? Mainly the first part of the stat.

There was a stat that Hamish McLachlan said on the broadcast - I think it was during the 3rd quarter - that the last 13 times Hawthorn have started 2-0, we've gone on to make finals. And of those 13 times, 6 of them we've gone on to win the flag...

Isn't Swamp their stats guy? If so I imagine he got it on point.

Without having checked I would expect more often than not any team starting 2-0 goes on to play finals. Typically (looking at past 5 years or so) you need about 12 wins to make the 8. So you've then got 20 more games to win 10 times. Only needing to go at 50% win rate from that point. If you're good enough to win your first two then you're probably good enough to win at least every second game from there and make finals.

But of course there would be exceptions. Does the fact that one of our wins came against last years spooners and was pretty close discount anything? Does a huge win on the road against one of last years preliminary finalists counter act that?

We'll see, I guess.

I did look up and find that the last team to be on top of the ladder after round 2 and not make finals was West Coast in 2014 (came 9th and every other team who was 2-0 made finals). But they then made the GF the following year after a dominant H&A season. Only faltered because they came up against some kind of generational juggernaut team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back