Review Round 2, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely ridiculous isn’t it! Once again, like others have stated. The players are human! Look at where we have come from. Our fan base is one of the toughest to please in the AFL at the moment. Some people around here really need to understand you can’t be 100% on for every minute of every game for the year. It’s just not even remotely possible

Just remember that many of them are trolls and many others are just pathologically depressed…don’t waste your time on their tedious drama

I don't see any issue with what Nathan put up.

It's a forthright opinion which is what we're here to hear. Right or wrong. Or something in between.

I'm sure he's just as pleased as everyone at how we went about it last night overall.

I think some posters build reputations with negative takes to try and get reactions. 🤷‍♂️

Just caught up with the game and very likely what I am saying has already been said as I have not read the previous posts.
For 3.5 quarters I was watching the premiers. Attitude was there, systems, strategies, effort, talent everything required to win Grand Final, and then as if the lights were turned off I was watching the wooden spooners. Unbelievable that we gave Melbourne a shot at winning it.

I’m pretty sure Melbourne had a game against west coast a few years ago and were up by a nice margin and were completely on top in the game .then a storm rolled through and there was a break and Melbourne almost lost as west coast ran over the top of them. Looked exactly like last night.

Edit: oops I see someone has raised this a few pages back

Absolutely stoked with how we played last night. The midfield really responded so emphatically.

The last 12 minutes did kill that emotional high a bit, perhaps even a good thing in the long run if it makes them come out focused next week.

I think some posters build reputations with negative takes to try and get reactions. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe so. In this case I think it was his honest take on it at the time. We were all feeling a little emotional in the back of our minds wondering whether fate might deal us a cruel blow.

As we observed at the time we were the only ones who could lose out of this situation. The good thing were the courageous acts that straightened us up enough to hold on. McKenna , Ashcroft, Cameron , Andrews, Joyce and Wilmot IIRC.

Absolutely stoked with how we played last night. The midfield really responded so emphatically.

The last 12 minutes did kill that emotional high a bit, perhaps even a good thing in the long run if it makes them come out focused next week.
This is a really good point. It provides Fagan with a "teachable moment" that he should be able to utilize. Team performance may be improved as a consequence.

Last edited:
Comes down to in finals we're going to come up against a strong team like Melbourne coming out with the intent they had and we need to find a way to not crumble like we've done for the last 4 years

Tonight was the perfect test and we failed miserably

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's great to have that win under the belt, regardless of who was out for them etc. But discrediting the Dogs because we still generally suck away, but I think the following week against the Pies is going to be a massive test if where we are at.

Comes down to in finals we're going to come up against a strong team like Melbourne coming out with the intent they had and we need to find a way to not crumble like we've done for the last 4 years

As much are you are hyperbolic and all that, I see the kernel of truth. In a finals match say there is an injury that needs the stretcher or something. 5-10 minutes pause with 10 minutes gametime left, we will need to be able to keep that intensity.

But yeh.. this is just the 2nd round. At least we have this to look back on now and drive home the point that if that were to happen again how we can do better :)

As much are you are hyperbolic and all that, I see the kernel of truth. In a finals match say there is an injury that needs the stretcher or something. 5-10 minutes pause with 10 minutes gametime left, we will need to be able to keep that intensity.

But yeh.. this is just the 2nd round. At least we have this to look back on now and drive home the point that if that were to happen again how we can do better :)

That is very different to thinking the game has been called off after a blackout and waiting 40+ mins.

That is very different to thinking the game has been called off after a blackout and waiting 40+ mins.
It is. It was a stern and unreasonable test. I think the point being our response to adversity whatever it is.

I'm not reading a whole lot into it except that it happened and we struggled. The Gods threw Melbourne a bone , they had a rest out of the heat and played miles better than they had all night. Mainly I think because our energy and pressure fell off a cliff compared to the rest of the game. Just hoping Bez is ok and no further physical outcomes.

I am no psychologist, but i reckon the team throughout the week put that much mental effort into preparing for Melbourne (and you could see they were on from the start), that with a comfortable lead and possibly believing the game would not continue or that they were home, probably just switched off too much. Whereas Dees had absolutely nothing to lose. I think there will be some learnings from the last 12 minutes, which is a good thing. Yeah May and Gawn out, but can only beat what is put in front of you and we had Dees comfortably under control before the 'blackout'.

I would prefer to concentrate on the fact we have beaten Melbourne twice consecutively, and the team responded how we all wished.

Bez just had a stinger per Fages interview on crunch time.
Did he mention Payne at all.
Payne had what could be a wrist/scaphoid bone problem after a marking ball/ punch ball incident.
The replay showed him coming down from a fair height landing with both arms stretched out to soften impact.
He was in a fair bit of discomfort and came off as soon as he could but resumed his field position later.
Noticed that he took some marks after that but punched the ball with his other hand.

Did he mention Payne at all.
Payne had what could be a wrist/scaphoid bone problem after a marking ball/ punch ball incident.
The replay showed him coming down from a fair height landing with both arms stretched out to soften impact.
He was in a fair bit of discomfort and came off as soon as he could but resumed his field position later.
Noticed that he took some marks after that but punched the ball with his other hand.

No discussion of Payne, Bailey or Zorks.

If you've played long enough we've all had one and last night Gunston had a pearler. If he has a black cat, then get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

No discussion of Payne, Bailey or Zorks.
Payne could be a worry.
I injured my scaphoid taking a mark and landing also from a reasonable height with just my right arm extended to break the fall.
Out for 3 months in plaster and removable pins inserted through the wrist.
Hopefully he is okay.

Oscar was in full Clark Keating mode, and it gave us immense momentum. Killed Grundy. Outstanding.

Darragh Joyce fitted in seamlessly. Knew his job, and positioned himself well. Got no problem with him in Gardiner's role.

Joey is so much better when he physically imposes himself on the contest. There was a 10 minute period where he went the ruck contest with vigour, and goaled out if it. Next ruck he went soft and Grundy beat him. Went the physical next time and Charlie finished off his work for another goal. Learn Joey, and you could be our Hawkins.

Every disposal Will Ashcroft gets has intent to better our position. Outstanding football brain, that boy. Played like our senior mid.

Zorko is truly our barometer.

Hippy has to get more involved at ground level - he has all the tools to rival geelong's Cameron.

The last 10 minutes is irrelevant.

Back