Prediction Round 2, 2023: Changes vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the story on Hewett’s debut

“West Coast’s final team will be revealed at 2pm AWST on Friday but Simpson confirmed Callum Jamieson will play for the WAFL Eagles, leaving Bailey Williams to lead the ruck against Giants big man Matt Flynn.”

In case there was any doubt that Jamieson was being replaced by Waterman

Interested to know where people think Trew sits in the pecking order. He's had a terrible run with injuries obv but played a string of games late last year and seems to have got through the pre-season unscathed, and from what i've seen has great hands, can extract from a pack and loves a handball. Something our regular mids dont have. From Wiley's comments its looks as though that was his role on the weekend with the Beagles and he did it well.

Looks better suited to compliment our regular midfield than the likes of West or Clark, who cant crack a spot, and with Yeo and Culley still out not sure why he's not considered for this role?

One of Clark or Trew are the two bigger inside mids who should have come in for Yeo and Culley being unavailable. Someone to help Ginbey do the heavy lifting.

Good changes this week if everything goes as expected. Waterman won't offer much in the ruck, but should provide more around the ground than the alternatives.

SPS looked solid in the preseason vision, so hopefully he can provide a bit more spark than XON. We usually only get about 10 touches out of those 2 anyway, and I'd prefer 10 SPS touches any day.

Good luck to Hewett! Hope he can come on and have an impact. Tough gig being the sub in your first outing.

Don't understand why Jake Waterman is automatically the backup ruckman. Wouldn't we be better using Gov for ruck contests in the back half, and Allen for contests in the forward line? Waterman is 191cm.

He's gonna get pummeled.

Or is that the point? He's just a body to get run into?

Ben Cousins was also a forward when he first started. Still remember the day he kicked 5 from the pocket and up until that moment I think I rated Chad Morrison as the better player. I was only young back then so don't judge me!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

If Jamo is confirmed out, Hunt and Jones should keep their spots, and Waterman and Clark come in for Jamo and Exxon.

Prefer Hewett in first 22, but glad he's at least going to get a run, but this whole cant run out a game excuse is shite, most the team only played a half last week.

Don't understand why Jake Waterman is automatically the backup ruckman. Wouldn't we be better using Gov for ruck contests in the back half, and Allen for contests in the forward line? Waterman is 191cm.

He's gonna get pummeled.

Their back up ruck is 195 and quite light, think Waterman should be able minimise the disadvantage.

He does have a big tank so hopefully can provide quite a lot around the ground.

So assuming Waterman is in to replace Jamo. Hewitt is sub. Clark is playing WAFL. I'd say its between XON and SPS for the final bench spot.
I know there’s a knock on XON here but if it’s a choice between a 25 gamer or a 108 gamer (at two clubs) I know where I’d rather invest.

Not saying XON will make it but many of his games have been stop/start or during the debacle that was last year.

One of Clark or Trew are the two bigger inside mids who should have come in for Yeo and Culley being unavailable. Someone to help Ginbey do the heavy lifting.

Your post highlights how sad things are;

“Looking for others to help out someone who has only played one AFL game do the heavy lifting”

You’re not wrong but it’s sad - Gibney should be the helper.

And of your options Culley (4/5 games) and Yeo (perma-injured) highlight our lack of depth in contested ball stakes.

Now, I’m depressed.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's gonna get pummeled.

I'd rather watch Waterman get beaten up than sacrifice McGovern or Allen in that role, who are way more important in their preferred roles or seeing a 185cm midfield ruck? Waterman has a better tank then Jamo and provides more up forward and around the ground, and wont clog a bench spot up as much to allow for better use of our bench rotations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Cousins was also a forward when he first started. Still remember the day he kicked 5 from the pocket and up until that moment I think I rated Chad Morrison as the better player. I was only young back then so don't judge me!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
What happened to Chad Morrison? I was in primary school in the 90s so didn't follow footy in any depth (the most we got was pretending we were Eagles players in king of the pack each day). He was our rookie of the year above Cousins but seemed to fade out once Woosha took over.

What happened to Chad Morrison? I was in primary school in the 90s so didn't follow footy in any depth (the most we got was pretending we were Eagles players in king of the pack each day). He was our rookie of the year above Cousins but seemed to fade out once Woosha took over.

Predraft compensation selection in 1995 he stayed in Victoria to complete year 12 before coming over for the 1996 year. Debuted in R1

What was shaping as a pretty decent career was curtailed by an ACL halfway through 2001 and then he did it again in 2002, missing all of that year

Couldn’t regain his form and was traded to Collingwood in 2004 for pick 37 which we used on Mark Lecras

Spent 2 years at Colllingwood before returning back to WA. Runs his own private fitness company and does some work with our AFLW program

Another one of those ex-players from outside WA that have stayed here and, in his case, returned here.

When he was 18 Greg Clark was an outside mid spending most of his time on the wing. But he doesn't have traits of a good outside player. His pace and marking is average, and his disposal is tidy without being damaging. So the man spends time on his inside game and is eventually drafted after adapting his game. Then the Eagles move him back to an outside role. Clark isn't the midfield saviou, but he hasn't had the chance to play in his best position in the senior team.
watching him win the Simpson medal in 2021, he was outstanding both in and out of the pack - very damaging

Predraft compensation selection in 1995 he stayed in Victoria to complete year 12 before coming over for the 1996 year. Debuted in R1

What was shaping as a pretty decent career was curtailed by an ACL halfway through 2001 and then he did it again in 2002, missing all of that year

Couldn’t regain his form and was traded to Collingwood in 2004 for pick 37 which we used on Mark Lecras

Spent 2 years at Colllingwood before returning back to WA. Runs his own private fitness company and does some work with our AFLW program

Another one of those ex-players from outside WA that have stayed here and, in his case, returned here.
Wow - poor guy. We definitely won that trade though.

Good ins. Always happy when SPS gets a crack, Waterman to run like hell and hopefully have a pinch hit in the ruck is interesting. Will offer us more than BBW/Jamo when not rucking, and honestly might offer more whilst doing it.
how many cracks does SPS get? History says he has one good game then 6 crap ones....Had his one good game last week in a wafl pre-season.

god i hope to be proven wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back