Prediction Round 2, 2023: Changes vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waterman for Jamieson - more run. Can provide a forward target when not rucking. GWS aren’t running with a monster second ruck so if Waterman can compete like Greenwood did then we’re not conceding much

SPS for Exxon - O’Neill didn’t take his chance so Samo gets his after a strong preseason. Forward pressure was apparently a strong point in his WAFL game so hopefully he can bring the same intensity on Sunday. Not a game changing selection but nice to have form rewarded

Hewett for Petch as sub - good way to introduce Hewett to AFL. Petch gets a full game in the WAFL after a quiet quarter and a half as sub. Hopefully he gets a run in the AFL for a full game soon as I still have faith he has something to offer

There’s a few others who’ve kept their spots who’ll need to improve on last week if they are to stay in the seniors

I was big on him early.

I was wrong. Can’t see him lasting the season

The frustrating part is he looks to have been doing all the right things in his physical preparation. Has put on size, kept lean and clearly has the discipline required at the level.

Just can't seem to get the football level where it needs to be or the system is suffocating that part of his development.

XON relies too much on the ball coming to his vicinity, doesn't have the elite work rate or knowhow to find more ball. Too often he is trailing 5 meters off where he should be. When the ball is nearby he is ok, even his tackling has improved a lot, but his transitioning and positing is not currently up to it on a consistent basis.

I am no fan of XON. He kind of deserves to be dropped for that terrible game he had last weekend. And i personally don't think he will make it. On the other hand one of the things i hope we achieve this year is to be in a position to make a clear definitive call on players like XON, Waterman, Petrucelle, Williams, SPS etc by the end of this year. I would like to see them all play like 10 games or more this season and if they can't improve or show clear evidence of why they are worth continuing to invest in then we can move on from them and feel content that we fully explored the issue and are confident with the call. It would be a bummer if some of them only get 5 games or less and we are sitting here saying "If we gave them a clear run at it with some games strung together to show something, instead of being in and out, could they show something".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we play guys out of position a lot.

Give the guys a shot in their drafted spots. Seems simple.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are talking about 18 year olds. Daicos and Sheezel played half back flank to start with in the AFL but did not play their in the years running up to the draft.

Players have to get used to the pace and physicality of the AFL before they can attempt to be midfielders

If X doesn't make it (and unfortunately I've seen almost nothing to suggest he will) it's a bit dire for us. He's another from our relatively recent attempts to draft a decent mid that's failed.

It's in all of our interests to hope he somehow turns it around overnight

I'm happy with those changes. Shows that if you play poorly then a guy who chops it up in the 2nds is ready to take your spot.

I think we were pretty generous with Chesser but I can accept the club trying to back him in for his development. If he has a similar game then I guess he'll go next week.

If X doesn't make it (and unfortunately I've seen almost nothing to suggest he will) it's a bit dire for us. He's another from our relatively recent attempts to draft a decent mid that's failed.

I hope he comes good, but tbf he was pick 28. Can't be arsed checking but I bet more of those don't make it than do.

how many cracks does SPS get? History says he has one good game then 6 crap ones....Had his one good game last week in a wafl pre-season.

god i hope to be proven wrong
In his defense I don't think he was utilized enough in positions that suit him last year. I'd be happy to see him attend the centre bounces then move to the forward half. Plonking him in the backline again is just going to set him up to fail imo

Per

Perusing through the 2018 AFL draft, i am not too down on the club for the draft pick wasted on him. There are virtually no players that were left available at that pick we took him with that have gone on to do anything. Outside of the top 10 it was a pretty thin draft.

I still say I would have gone Clark as the back up Ruck. Either way, we're losing the centre bounce with Waterman or Clark.
We got destryed in clearances, Clark would be way better in this area, as well as tackling. They're both very good aerobically, Waterman with more forward nous, Clark stronger at boundary throw ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back