Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Good run for a half ...
Fast movement into the forward line is great - second quarter vey impressive.
Brilliant for team morale and positivity.

It was well done - the game plan is obviously changing and we have some pace and run to allow it to. JJ and Hunt add to Kelly, Ryan and others.
The replay was enjoyable ...

Good to see you acknowledge some positives this week and enjoyed the game.

I know we haven't argued about a certain "mature plodder who has reached his ceiling" lately, but just for old times sake, can I get a comment from you on his 4 goal, 16 disposal, 8 hit out, 8 mark, 2 tackle effort yesterday?

Yeah that’s a big nah from me too.

The intent to go corridor and play on quickly was evident from the start of the North game and then we got punched in the mouth in Q2 and had to get back under any semblance of control again. Could barely control the footy for long stretches and finally got our hands back on the wheel in the second half.

You only need to see Jack Darling’s game in Round 1 to see how much they wanted to go corridor when we actually got our hands on the footy. Or the Oscar Allen first quarter goal born from Duggan running from behind for three possessions in the same chain. It’s all in Alesana’s clips in that review thread if you want to see.

The best this week looked much better than the best of the North game but the thought that they changed the season’s plan after SEN got some shots in is laughable. The first quarter of this game looked very similar to the first quarter of the North game. The second quarters were worlds apart and the best we’ve seen West Coast play in years. The structure wasn’t impacted by Garry Lyon.

There’s that interesting drafting again. Just Gary Lyon, was it? Are you that guy?

Otherwise, and as far as the dedication to a different style of play is concerned, you’re not saying much different to me. NM game was suck it and see, and a quick retreat to the old style. GWS game was: let it rip (possibly because we could). We won’t know until the next few weeks whether the caution and hesitancy will return when the going gets tough, or whether there really is a resolve to adopt the free flow style.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't believe we paid Mitchell all that coaching money to smash the gatorade bottles over when this whole time we could've just forced the coaches to listen to Kane Cornes when they sleep at night. Sport psychology has come a long way.

You don’t think the media and high profile commentators don’t live rent free in coaches’ heads?

There’s that interesting drafting again. Just Gary Lyon, was it? Are you that guy?

Otherwise, and as far as the dedication to a different style of play is concerned, you’re not saying much different to me. NM game was suck it and see, and a quick retreat to the old style. GWS game was: let it rip (possibly because we could). We won’t know until the next few weeks whether the caution and hesitancy will return when the going gets tough, or whether there really is a resolve to adopt the free flow style.

You inferred in your earlier post that the Coach and club caved to outside pressure.
Are you a WC supporter? BECAUSE YOU SHOULD KNOW.....our club never listens or buckles to outside pressure.

You inferred in your earlier post that the Coach and club caved to outside pressure.
Are you a WC supporter? BECAUSE YOU SHOULD KNOW.....our club never listens or buckles to outside pressure.

I know they like to push the line that they don't hear outside noise, but while the boys were on the beers getting GF tattoos at Naitanius house in 2018 a few of the players did track down Robert Walls mobile number and leave him a voice message about his wild wooden spoon call.

I know they like to push the line that they don't hear outside noise, but while the boys were on the beers getting GF tattoos at Naitanius house in 2018 a few of the players did track down Robert Walls mobile number and leave him a voice message about his wild wooden spoon call.
True story???

You don’t think the media and high profile commentators don’t live rent free in coaches’ heads?

I don't think anyone in Australia with half a brain cell, whatever industry, looks for constructive feedback in the outrage-generating "high profile commentator" category tbh

Yeah that’s a big nah from me too.

The intent to go corridor and play on quickly was evident from the start of the North game and then we got punched in the mouth in Q2 and had to get back under any semblance of control again. Could barely control the footy for long stretches and finally got our hands back on the wheel in the second half.

You only need to see Jack Darling’s game in Round 1 to see how much they wanted to go corridor when we actually got our hands on the footy. Or the Oscar Allen first quarter goal born from Duggan running from behind for three possessions in the same chain. It’s all in Alesana’s clips in that review thread if you want to see.

The best this week looked much better than the best of the North game but the thought that they changed the season’s plan after SEN got some shots in is laughable. The first quarter of this game looked very similar to the first quarter of the North game. The second quarters were worlds apart and the best we’ve seen West Coast play in years. The structure wasn’t impacted by Garry Lyon.
The main limiting factor with new game plans is do you have the players to actually do what you are trying to do? if you want to go fast off the HB line and through the corridor, do you have that pace and line breaking run from the half back line? Do you have the players with the skill to hit a moving target in the corridor (knowing that if you go for it and miss the target you are probably costing yourself a shot at goal for the opposition)? Do you have the players with the fitness level to run and spread and create multiple options in the corridor when you win the ball?

It is not like there a big mystery of what to do with fast and attacking game plans, it is whether you are capable of executing it. Because if you go for it and keep missing by having ball carriers run down or missing targets and having turnovers in the corridor when all your players have already run forward and spread out then you can cop a real belting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.. yeah. What are we? 11?

You don’t think coaches, clubs, organisations, businesses, even governments don’t have their hands forced by bad publicity? Really?

I think most organisations couldn't give 2 shits about public opinion when they have a long term plan/vision they want to implement.

Everyone knows all is forgiven when positive results are delivered, after all.

I don't think anyone in Australia with half a brain cell, whatever industry, looks for constructive feedback in the outrage-generating "high profile commentator" category tbh

That’s not what I said. I said they live there rent free, irrespective of how many brain cells one has. If you’ve ever been the subject of undeserved (or, I suppose, deserved) adverse publicity, you will know what I mean. Such publicity, fair or unfair, can be relentless and anxiety provoking.

Question for the group: should Suma get a premiership medal if he keeps writing s**t about us and we turn that negative energy into a flag?

Tough love from the school of hard knocks. He should be the only one to get a premiership medal in this scenario IMO.

Couple of specific things I really loved
-Waterman leads straight at the ball carrier always, makes him such a dangerous prospect when we move the ball quickly.

Waterman has capacity to get separation from his defender, something Oscar, Jack and even JK struggled to do.

As a different ‘option’ he has a place in fwd line.

Now needs to back it up game after game after game. Can go missing. It’s up,to him - the door is ajar.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Waterman has capacity to get separation from his defender, something Oscar, Jack and even JK struggled to do.

As a different ‘option’ he has a place in fwd line.

Now needs to back it up game after game after game. Can go missing. It’s up,to him - the door is ajar.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
No disrespect to Waterman but the likes of Jack/Jk/Oscar tend to cop the best opposition defenders and opposition defence as unit tend to show them a lot of respect. That said when we were good JK/JD were able to find plenty of separation as they had elite tanks on em. At the end of the day, quick and precise ball movement will favour the fowards

Waterman now has more of a role that suited to him but he has to see himself as a Jamie cripps type work horse and be willing to be unrewarded some weeks so the main two KPF’s can be a focal target. On the flip side(just like jamie) he’ll have weeks where he absolutely dominates

That’s not what I said. I said they live there rent free, irrespective of how many brain cells one has. If you’ve ever been the subject of undeserved (or, I suppose, deserved) adverse publicity, you will know what I mean. Such publicity, fair or unfair, can be relentless and anxiety provoking.

We've been copping pretty relentless media criticism for a good while now, trying to find some correlation between our first win in ages and media pressure is a tough ask I reckon.

And have I copped it before? Mate, you should hear how my wife talks about me in public. Brutal.

Yep. Told by several players. Call was made in a jovial nature but they had obviously been paying attention to the opinion during the season.

Think that was Tom Morris, he and Schoey had a good laugh about it later on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back