Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what thread it was in, but I was backing Waterman (as I always do, I reckon we’re such a better team when he plays) and copped a bit from people bagging him and saying he’ll never make it. Hopefully yesterdays game showed them that he’s a solid player, and given a sustained run in the 22, he’ll produce more good than bad. Seems to be well liked within the team, and always puts in good effort. Like I said, he seems like he’s always good for a few goals a game in a short period of time, did it again on the weekend. Had a great quarter and continued to work all day. Could’ve kicked 6 easily. His ruck work was ok too, he’s never going to win heaps of taps but we seemed to do better out of the middle when he was in there compared to Williams, who just jumps at his opponent and hardly ever gets his hands on the ball.
Careful mate! I like him too but feel you might have beDazzled him for this week!

Pardon the intrusion, but I thought Jayden Hunt was great for you guys yesterday. I think he will shine out on the wing at Optus oval. Funnily enough his pick up for you guys could be similar to what Ed Langdon (good runner, questionable disposal) was for us. We never really played him as a winger but he looked a natural out there.

Keen to see if Rotham can adapt to the new game style and not play within himself. If he can do provide some dash from defence, we can easily move Hung on to a wing

Pardon the intrusion, but I thought Jayden Hunt was great for you guys yesterday. I think he will shine out on the wing at Optus oval. Funnily enough his pick up for you guys could be similar to what Ed Langdon (good runner, questionable disposal) was for us. We never really played him as a winger but he looked a natural out there.
I have been really surprised by him. I wasn't very excited when we picked him up as his disposal had always looked a bit average when he played for you guys. However, he is smashing it by being able to play outside and break the lines with speed.

I think he was the victim of Ed Langdon coming to you. Ed is obviously the better wing, so it pushed Jayden out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of specific things I really loved
-Waterman leads straight at the ball carrier always, makes him such a dangerous prospect when we move the ball quickly
  • Ryan benefits enormously from the chaos of quick movement because he's the smartest and most skilful forward out there almost always. His vision when there's space to be found is out of this world
  • The clear directive to forward handball and move quick couldn't be missed by even the most obstinate observers

Waterman’s best position is leading out from the goal square - he regularly kicks bags in the WAFL playing that role.

Unfortunately for him at AFL level he’s behind Allen and Darling in the pecking order so that role is not there for him. And if it was, he’s a bit undersized for an AFL full forward

He was used well on the weekend coming out of the square with Taylor dealing with Allen

As for the handballing forward, that also stood out in the WAFL game with good success

What did we give Wallsy?

A wooden spoon

Waterman has capacity to get separation from his defender, something Oscar, Jack and even JK struggled to do.

As a different ‘option’ he has a place in fwd line.

Now needs to back it up game after game after game. Can go missing. It’s up,to him - the door is ajar.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He gets the third best defender and we managed to recognise that properly on the weekend to take advantage of it, something we haven’t always done as he’s played more of a flanker role

Needs to maintain that form now as you say.

Hunt has impressed since he arrived. Looked good at HB but was better on the wing where his straight line speed is suited better.

His willingness to chase has also been important

As others have said, the decision to recruit wasn’t necessarily a popular one here but I think it’s fair to day he’s changed most peoples mind

The club targeted him last year as someone that saw as gettable who could fit in with what we wanted to do. It’s proven to be a wise move

Bit of talk about the change from the North game to the GWS game

Did the game plan change? It certainly looked different. The common denominator through the preseason games and R1 was our inability to even break even on contested ball. Something that was rectified against the giants and we played the way journos were saying we were in intraclub match sims as a result

So I don’t think the plan changed but our ability to win contested possession enabled the plan to work better

There were a couple of tweaks in personnel that helped. Jones to half back with a license to run was a big factor - he’s quick and also somewhat erratic which creates chaos going forward and disrupted the giants zone. Whilst Hunt has speed he runs In straighter lines so isn’t as disruptive - playing him on a wing suits him better. So that change worked

Waterman as 2nd ruck helped with mobility around the ground but most importantly it gave as a proper 3rd tall up forward. He’s far more effective in that role than either Jamieson or Williams. Also with a resting ruck Waterman gets squeezed to a flanker role where he’s less suited. So again that change worked

Jones moving to HB, opened a spot for SPS across HF who flourished with his best game for the club. His vision and disposal is also better than Jones so he’s better suited as a HF than JJ. So that move worked as well

Ultimately though the difference was contested ball - none of those changes work as effectively without us winning our own football at its source

That’s definitely an effort thing and across the ground the players looked more invested. Was that a response to the external criticism or the clubs own dissatisfaction internally from players and coaches with a performance they were openly unhappy with

It’s probably a bit of both, nobody likes being blasted and despite what’s said I have no doubt Simpson would have used it to provoke the playing group. But I think that would have just been stoking a fire that was already there before the external barbs started

So much of footy is played above the shoulders that any coach would sell his soul for the secret to unlocking that attitude week in week out

As Darling's sponsor I am duty bound to post about this particular highlight.
Let me paint you a play-by-play of the story.

8 minutes and 40 seconds to go before half time. West Coast up by two goals.
There's a second stoppage in a row in the forward pocket for West Coast.
View attachment 1641127
Darling is the nominated ruckman.
His direct opponent is Matt Flynn. A player 10cm taller than him and has approximately 7kg of additional weight.
None of this matters. Darling produces a definitive palm which the commentators immediately describe correctly as a "set play".
View attachment 1641129
Jamie Cripps is streaming deep into the pocket behind a nest of GWS midfielders and defenders.
Darling's deft knock clears this line and goes to turf.
View attachment 1641131
The ball bounces up obligingly to Cripps. He is corralled by Coniglio towards the boundary line.
But none of this matters. Channeling his small forward skills Cripps dribbles the ball allowing the bounces to open up the goal front for a devastating goal. View attachment 1641132

Another four goals follow for West Coast for the remainder of the quarter.
GWS never recover from this barrage.

Kudos to Cripps for his finishing skills.
But props have to go to Darling for executing such a perfect set play despite being a very part-time ruckman.
I believe that both of Darling's first two games have been solid while he has missed some chances.
However, his versatility to continually fight out of his weight class to give West Coast opportunities cannot be understated.

And there, children, is where we leave our picture story book with a valuable lesson - it doesn't matter if you're big or small, Jack is going to vanquish you all.

Tune in next week to see the exciting sequel featuring this muppet:
View attachment 1641134
And look who got a Goal of the Year nomination this week:

He won't win it this week though, the Daicos-Pendlebury duo goal is next level.

Did the game plan change? It certainly looked different. The common denominator through the preseason games and R1 was our inability to even break even on contested ball. Something that was rectified against the giants and we played the way journos were saying we were in intraclub match sims as a result

So I don’t think the plan changed but our ability to win contested possession enabled the plan to work better

There were a couple of tweaks in personnel that helped. Jones to half back with a license to run was a big factor - he’s quick and also somewhat erratic which creates chaos going forward and disrupted the giants zone. Whilst Hunt has speed he runs In straighter lines so isn’t as disruptive - playing him on a wing suits him better. So that change worked

Waterman as 2nd ruck helped with mobility around the ground but most importantly it gave as a proper 3rd tall up forward. He’s far more effective in that role than either Jamieson or Williams. Also with a resting ruck Waterman gets squeezed to a flanker role where he’s less suited. So again that change worked

Jones moving to HB, opened a spot for SPS across HF who flourished with his best game for the club. His vision and disposal is also better than Jones so he’s better suited as a HF than JJ. So that move worked as well

Ultimately though the difference was contested ball - none of those changes work as effectively without us winning our own football at its source

That’s definitely an effort thing and across the ground the players looked more invested. Was that a response to the external criticism or the clubs own dissatisfaction internally from players and coaches with a performance they were openly unhappy with

It’s probably a bit of both, nobody likes being blasted and despite what’s said I have no doubt Simpson would have used it to provoke the playing group. But I think that would have just been stoking a fire that was already there before the external barbs started

So much of footy is played above the shoulders that any coach would sell his soul for the secret to unlocking that attitude week in week out
Wasn't at the game but one thing I thought was interesting, on the broadcast one of the commentators (and I'm loathe to give him any credit but I think it was Dermott) mentioned that we seemed to be running Shuey off the back of the centre square at CBD and he would run straight through towards the contest in the middle as soon as the ball was bounced. Sounds to me to be a bit like the spitter tactic that we used to use before 6/6/6 came in, except Shuey obviously was leaving a man wide open behind him so it's a fair bit riskier.

Would also be great if he stopped calling for it when he'll receive it for a right-sided disposal. He should know his limits, if he does not have a right boot then don't call for it. Instead he tries to run in a circle to get onto his left loses space and time at best or at worst panics and does a 3 metre kick across the ground like he did yesterday.

Sorry for the guy but right now he's just not up to it. Time comes for us all, but it feels like it's rolled over the top of him, reversed back and gone over him one more time for good measure.
Drives me ******* mad. It's not even occasionally that he does it either. It's like 80% of his handball receives are on the wrong side.

Drives me ******* mad. It's not even occasionally that he does it either. It's like 80% of his handball receives are on the wrong side.
What happened to Priddis sadly is happening to him. It’s sad cause two years ago he looked like a shoe in for 300. Love him but his time to go has come now.

I agree with so much of this I feel like I don't need to type it out and it's easier to just quote you. The Jones role is hugely important and whilst he was amazing on the weekend I think to challenge for a premiership we need a player with the best parts of his game but with significantly better kicking in the role long term.

The hard thing I think people are going to find going through the next few rounds is until we get Yeo, Culley and Nicnat back and into that centre square we are almost certainly going to get dominated through the middle and people will be up in arms as we get dominated and struggle to get the ball out of the back half.

But when we do get dominated through the middle and we do get locked in the back half we aren't going to look great and people are going to bitch and moan about the forwards when there is really nothing they can do other than getting sucked up and then us getting stopped in the middle of the ground.

Sound like the second half of 2021 and all of 2022 anyone? This game plan change has been worked on and partially implemented at times since the bye in 2021. It is going to take development of the squad, some more quality players, time and experience for it to all gel and work. While these are the key points I also want people to look deeper at the changes the club is making in regards to the game plan and it's not just a chaos ball copy. It is still about good skills by hand, foot and marking but with more run, carry and pace from behind with lowering of the eyes to put the ball to the advantage of forwards with a key being on winning the ball. I actually think it's a game plan that can have sustained AFL success and is a lot less reliant upon a dominant forward line if we can get the stoppage setups right and keep player buy in I'd actually like to see it in full flow in 2026 onwards as I believe it could achieve dynasty like success. The club is just missing so many of the key players (at least half not on the list yet) and the development of the ones we have for it to come to fruition. I stand by that with good recruiting and development we will have a genuine premiership window from 2027-2030 or so.

I then think the hardest part of the equation is I don't think everyday supporters have the patience to wait it out and see if through to fruition as they have become so used to sustained success and playing finals football. I would hate nothing more than the impatience of the supporter base to pull this short only to then have us become an almost side like so many others who get close to but either never genuinely challenge for a premiership or have a genuine premiership window with the build. This will take years longer than it has in the past even absolutely nailing the next couple of drafts.

The club needs almost all the key pieces via the draft one the list by the end of 2025 then we can look at trading in and free agency for the final pieces in the years that follow.

Lastly just a quick shout out to two of the blokes I always seem to need to have the back of on here in Snake Waterman and Jamie Cripps. I'd also like to point out Waterman doesn't get separation due to athleticism in comparison to our other forwards as that is outright and completely wrong. He gets separation due to high footy IQ and forward craft because he is actually nowhere athletically near the best on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back