Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT: Reeves, Bramble, Kosi, Frost
IN: Nash, Lynch, Ramsden, Scrimshaw, DGB

Someone reverts to sub, potentially Maginness. Until Reeves can find another string to his bow, he shouldn't be gifted games on account of his height. Feel Lynch adds a bit more.
Kosi can build confidence at BH. Reward Ramma and get some senior games into him. If Morrison is fit, should be considered.

A rich flogging coming up.

OUTS:
  • Bramble
  • Kosi
  • Frost
  • Reeves

INS:
  • Scrimshaw
  • Lynch
  • DGB
  • Nash

CJ or Impey the sub. Nash to start the game.

Lynch/Meek to sit in the square and provide an actual target when not rucking.

Scrimshaw to replace Bramble. Whatever "run" we were supposed to see from Bramble never happened. He looked unsure, was second to the ball, didn't defend his man and made some questionable decisions with ball in hand, when he wasn't kicking it 15m to someone in space.

DGB for Frost. If we are going to he pounded then I'd rather it be DGB learning on the job and making mistakes then Frost, who is on the back-end of his career.

captain-planet.gif

more heart required

For everyone posting about multiple changes I highly doubt that Sam is going to be so reckless after trying to instill confidence and belief in the group over summer.

1-2 changes max.

Hardwick has to stay fwd. We can cover him down back, it will open up a spot for DGB/Scrim. Also with Day, i'm not sure he's suited to the midfield, at least not yet. Part of me just wants us to lock Day and Scrimshaw in as our HBFs for the next decade. That's their best positions.
OUT- Kosi, Maginness, Wingard (prob injured), Frost
IN - Butler, Brockman, DGB, Scrimshaw

If I were on the match committee, I would want to have a conversation about Rucks. The non rucking ruckman was completely unsighted practically all match. They may as well have been on the bench (and may have been). Sadly, Noodle wasn't much more visible when rucking. I may well still select the same, but I'd want to talk about it a bit first.

Other changes. Taking the longer term view, it might be counter productive to a young list's confidence and development to come over all Gimli son of Gloin after just one bad loss. Replace the injuries but give the healthy the opportunity, trust and support to try and lift themselves in response. Besides, VFL is till practicing and hasn't started for reals yet.

tom hiddleston loki GIF

Last edited:
For everyone posting about multiple changes I highly doubt that Sam is going to be so reckless after trying to instill confidence and belief in the group over summer.

1-2 changes max.

Mitchell said he won't gift games. He can't be rewarding some or these players with another game after their deplorable performances.

It's not reckless to drop players for playing poorly, or does the confidence and belief only matter for the first 22 selected? What if some of the guys play really well for Box Hill.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell said he won't gift games. He can't be rewarding some or these players with another game after their deplorable performances.

It's not reckless to drop players for playing poorly, or does the condifence and belief only matter for the first 22 selected? What if some of the guys play really well for Box Hill.
Of course he can.

No players develop if you just drop them every time they miss the mark. You’d have a revolving door of players who lose all belief and confidence that the coach will back them in.

Well if Scrimmers can't force his way into the side next week after that performance my only assumption is that he ran over Sam's cat on his way to training in the offseason!
Scrim didn’t have a great day at Box Hill today.

If I were on the match committee, I would want to have a conversation about Rucks. The non rucking ruckman was completely unsighted practically all match. They may as well have been on the bench (and may have been). Sadly, Noodle wasn't much more visible when rucking. I may well still select the same, but I'd want to talk about it a bit first.

Other changes. Taking the longer term view, it might be counter productive to a young list's confidence and development to come over all Gimli son of Gloin after just one bad loss. Replace the injuries but give the healthy the opportunity, trust and support to try and lift themselves in response. Besides, VFL is till practicing and hasn't started for reals yet.

tom hiddleston loki GIF

Reeves gives us nothing around the ground.

Meek didn't offer much either, but at least he's big and he's much more mobile than Reeves. He has the physical tools to have an impact around the ground.

Reeves just doesn't have the mobility. He can't chase or tackle, he might as well be a lamppost when the ball hits the deck when he's deep forward.

At least Lynch is mobile and a physical battler too.

Reeves gives us nothing around the ground.

Meek didn't offer much either, but at least he's big and he's much more mobile than Reeves. He has the physical tools to have an impact around the ground.

Reeves just doesn't have the mobility. He can't chase or tackle, he might as well be a lamppost when the ball hits the deck when he's deep forward.

At least Lynch is mobile and a physical battler too.
Our rucks are a worry TBH.

I was expecting a bit more from Meeks than what he has shown so far (early days of course). Reeves as you say can’t impact on general play at all.

I watched Gawn dominate last night and thought it’s unrealistic to expect that level of performance but if we could get the next rung down (say a prime Nankvervis) that would be good. But Reeves and Meeks are miles away from giving us a Nank the Tank kind of impact.

Those two rucks in the same side will never work. It was blatantly obvious (to me anyway) in the last practise match.
Frost isn't going to be dropped.
Greene I'm afraid doesn't look up to the level and I'm surprised he isn't getting a mention with all the other likely suspects.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Zero X factor in our forward line today.
Brockman brings that, need to get games into him.
Not sure Moore plays that poorly again. Our tall stocks are the worst in the competition, I wouldn’t mind seeing the mosquito fleet next week on a small ground
Brockman in
Kosi out

For two ruckman to work you need them to compliment each other, both Meek and Reeves are solely ruckman.
They both really offer next to nothing up forward and neither take marks around the ground.

But here in lies the problem, Ramsden is not ready and we don’t have anyone else who can play the forward/ruck role.
So I think we are stuck with it for most the season.

It would work better if we had two AFL quality tall forwards as the resting ruck would get the third best tall defender, as it is right now they are getting the best/second best defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back