Unofficial Preview Round 2, 2023: Swans v Hawks, SCG 1:10pm March 26th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Logan McDonald playing? If so, bring in DGB who apparently toweled him up in his draft year. Might be a confidence starter for the lad.

That's not true. The only current starting quality rucks that was not playing good football prior to turning 25 are Oscar McInerney and Marc Pittonet. I'm not sure that anyone here would be rating either as one of the best rucks in the league right now either (especially the latter).

The only gun ruck was Witts, but at this same age he was just about to have a breakout dominant season. I'd be amazing if Reeves replicates the effort and averages 13.3 touches, 2.6 marks, 3.6 tackles, 3.6 clearances and 37.9 hitouts.

Maybe Darcy Cameron too, however he is a much better athlete than Reeves and was also played as a KPF.

Every other quality rucks, and some average ones too - Darcy, Gawn, Goldy, Nic Nat, Hickey, Lycett, English, ROB, Grundy, Marshall, Stanley etc - had already had good to great seasons under their belts.
Your post doesn’t relate to my post 🤷‍♂️

He copped on here after last week, but he also had 18 touches at 100% disposal efficiency which is a rare stat in brown and gold in the past 5 years.
DE% is a flawed stat. Kick it over 40m to a contest and it is an effective kick if not marked.
Yet a kick from the half back line into space which bounces and allows the receiver to run into it is ineffective as it wasn't marked nor to a contest..
Example 2 is effective.
Remember Damon Greaves, he used to be 90-100% every game but every kick was from the back pocket, down the line to a contest.

DE% is a flawed stat. Kick it over 40m to a contest and it is an effective kick if not marked.
Yet a kick from the half back line into space which bounces and allows the receiver to run into it is ineffective as it wasn't marked nor to a contest..
Example 2 is effective.
Remember Damon Greaves, he used to be 90-100% every game but every kick was from the back pocket, down the line to a contest.
That's not correct. If we retain possession its effective, it doesnt have to be a mark.

You said many rucks are garbage prior to 25. My post specifically relates to that. The best rucks have all shown something prior to turning 25 bar the names I mentioned.
His argument is just that rucks develop later and there's no reason that Reeves can't continue to improve, even athletically, for the next 3-4 years. Not that Reeves' output is comparable to any of theirs.

while many of those names you listed had good seasons pre-25, the vast majority of them only become top-tier rucks post the age of 25, and many of them 27+

Plus if the metric is just showing something, Reeves has shown something. He's already a good tap ruckman above avg in most ruck-related stats.

As you say, he's very poor around the ground though and that is the area he will need to continue working on to make it as a ruckman going forward. If he could go at ~4 marks 3 tackles a game while winning majority of the hitouts, that would be a massive win for us going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reeves wouldn't obliterate the Sunday Church league.

Fingers crossed Meek plays a ripper

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Actually, those church leagues were pretty competitive. I’d hate to think what would happen to Noodle in the midst of battle between St Columb’s and the old West Hawthorn Presbyterians!

nobody gave us a chance in this one either

The two things I remember from that game where dukes tackling and the energy and intensity we brought to that game.

It was just after a poor showing against the suns and the bye. And we just hit them with everything. Need to do the same thing again this week if we want to win

Meek is as mobile, if not more. And should brain him in the hitouts. Bring him.
Ladhams had 20 disposals and 5 clearances last week.

Those are pretty decent numbers for a ruck.

Be great to see Meek turn it up a notch this Sunday and start to find a bit more of the footy / have an influence around the ground. That's what I imagined he was going to bring to the club when we drafted him TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back