Autopsy Round 2, 2023: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't imagine Lenny as a senior coach tbh, maybe not Enright either. Even Harvs seems to have found his niche as a great senior assistant. I guess they can always surprise but having had a bunch of nearly men as senior coaches, I feel like there's a pretty high bar for the next one. After all, they'll be coming in to succeed a quadruple premiership coach!
Reckon Enright & Hayes are shoe ins for senior gigs eventually

Great = Win, scrappy in patches. 2nd quarter allowed them back in. Desperate to get either Members or Max back in. Just to provide another target.

s**t = Losing another experienced player to injury. And one that we can't afford.
Still very much prone to bombing the ball in. Need to lower the eyes a bit more.

Inexcusable = the filthy campaigner who thought it was ok to shout racist crap at JUH. If that's a member of St Kilda they can hand back the card and not think about trying to join again. That s**t ain't on!

This week is the biggest Hoodoo of all.
A match we are expected to do well in. And the spotlight on us due to 150th. Milestone and special games have been our downfall.

I think they are doing their jobs as best they can, small forwards rely on their talks, with a makeshift forward line, they are no hope when they are caught one out in the forward line.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
They are probably hanging out for the return of King, Hayes, even Membrey ( not so tall) more so than we are.

Great = Win, scrappy in patches. 2nd quarter allowed them back in. Desperate to get either Members or Max back in. Just to provide another target.

s**t = Losing another experienced player to injury. And one that we can't afford.
Still very much prone to bombing the ball in. Need to lower the eyes a bit more.

Inexcusable = the filthy campaigner who thought it was ok to shout racist crap at JUH. If that's a member of St Kilda they can hand back the card and not think about trying to join again. That s**t ain't on!

This week is the biggest Hoodoo of all.
A match we are expected to do well in. And the spotlight on us due to 150th. Milestone and special games have been our downfall.

Agree with all of that. If Ross can get a beat up Saints over our bogie team in a huge marquee match, he’ll be hard to not worship. This is the type of match we never turn up for. Nervous but confident, we seem a flint hard side at the moment.

Just watching some pr0n

xtbWoVc.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised at how easily our players got knocked off the ball and generally pushed around. For all our faults, physicality was never one of them.

I don't know if Cordy will stay in the team when your injury list lessens, but he's a mongrel campaigner who gives it out & gives his all. He's a deceptively accurate kick despite his awkward action. He was out premiership & finals series half forward, though he barely played that role afterwards. He became a whipping boy on our board due to brain fades, he never enjoyed the zonal defence system and was caught in no man's land too many times.

I love him dearly & wish him all the best .
In his post game interview he mentions that he was praying he’d be selected for this game.
He knows that he’s on the periphery and consequently will give his all - which can only be beneficial for us.
He also did mention that he’s only 26, so I’m glad we gave him a chance rather than another Frawley type again.
If nothing else, he’ll be good for Sandy.
But I believe he’ll play his guts out every chance he gets.

With any luck he’ll turn out to be a Mason Wood-like pickup for us.

In his post game interview he mentions that he was praying he’d be selected for this game.
He knows that he’s on the periphery and consequently will give his all - which can only be beneficial for us.
He also did mention that he’s only 26, so I’m glad we gave him a chance rather than another Frawley type again.

I thought he spoke really well in that post-match interview. Would like to keep him around based on what I've seen so far.

Not sure there was a master plan that anyone has stuck to to be honest. Let's not pretend we are a masterful organisation just because we fell on our feet. We are going to have to be a very strategy driven set up because we don't have a huge talent pool like Carlton do. We changed tack when Owens and Windy fell in our lap, otherwise we might have still been buying up old battlers to try to fill the holes.
Gringo, the only aspect of your post that I disagree with is: "we don't have a huge talent pool like Carlton do." It looks like we do. Early days I know, but the evidence of 2 games suggests the talent that we've got, with many yet to be seen at AFL level, will be developed due to the coaching and essential requirements (effort/ commitment) to get into the team.

Probably all recent premiership teams had a fair list of players who couldn't crack their starting list on the big day, but would have played their role if given the opportunity. That's exactly what we need our squad to be later this season.

Next season's recruits are already easily identified. A medium sized Rioli and a smaller one. That's all, two Riolis.

Gringo, the only aspect of your post that I disagree with is: "we don't have a huge talent pool like Carlton do." It looks like we do. Early days I know, but the evidence of 2 games suggests the talent that we've got, with many yet to be seen at AFL level, will be developed due to the coaching and essential requirements (effort/ commitment) to get into the team.

Probably all recent premiership teams had a fair list of players who couldn't crack their starting list on the big day, but would have played their role if given the opportunity. That's exactly what we need our squad to be later this season.

Next season's recruits are already easily identified. A medium sized Rioli and a smaller one. That's all, two Riolis.

Huge pool of unrealised potential perhaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised at how easily our players got knocked off the ball and generally pushed around. For all our faults, physicality was never one of them.

I don't know if Cordy will stay in the team when your injury list lessens, but he's a mongrel campaigner who gives it out & gives his all. He's a deceptively accurate kick despite his awkward action. He was out premiership & finals series half forward, though he barely played that role afterwards. He became a whipping boy on our board due to brain fades, he never enjoyed the zonal defence system and was caught in no man's land too many times.

I love him dearly & wish him all the best .
Won you a flag by kneeing Callan Ward in the head in the PF, well thats what my Bulldog loving family tells me anyway :)

With any luck he’ll turn out to be a Mason Wood-like pickup for us.
It'll be interesting to see what difference the saints fittness regime will make to him.
Having now actually seen him in 2 games l think he was a very savvy pick up by Gags ans should give cause for a few to eat their words.

Chuck in Stocker, Hammer, and it was a pretty productive off season the flew completely under the radar.

It'll be interesting to see what difference the saints fittness regime will make to him.
Having now actually seen him in 2 games l think he was a very savvy pick up by Gags ans should give cause for a few to eat their words.

Chuck in Stocker, Hammer, and it was a pretty productive off season the flew completely under the radar.

I'm not sold on him still but he's been a very serviceable- in the last game particularly. He could be a Rossy special type of role playing foot soldier
and have long career at the Saints still. I'm kind of hoping that we find some higher ceiling talls but you'd hate to not have him at the moment.

Mason Wood had 4-5 perfect kicks out of D50 to release the pressure valve on Saturday night. Those kicks were pin point. Makes you realise how important a precise kick in defence is. NWM, Webster, Sinclair, Battle all great field kicks.

I'm not sold on him still but he's been a very serviceable- in the last game particularly. He could be a Rossy special type of role playing foot soldier
and have long career at the Saints still. I'm kind of hoping that we find some higher ceiling talls but you'd hate to not have him at the moment.
I wasn't suggesting he'll be anything more than a GOP, only that better fittness might get a bit more out of him. I really like that he's got some campaigner about him and knows where to be, making up for average ability with some smarts. He may not be best 22 but he makes the list stronger and flies the flag.

One more thing on the Pou I loved how each goal highlighted a different feature of his game/craft.
1. Showed his cat like reflexes and balance. His ability get up like he did and just find the ball was special.

2. The left foot snap from 40 was pure class. Just clean and finnese.

3. This was the one that said it all. Another ripper contested mark. Not since BJ have we had someone with the confidence to go back and slot a kick from 55 like that. Just a freak.

And we havnt even seen him on the ball yet. He’s the type of guy who will draw people to saints games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back