Preview Round 2 - Adelaide v Port Adelaide @ AO Saturday 13/6 @ 7pm

How pumped are you for Saturday night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep scratching my head with the. constant demands for McHenry to be picked for next weeks showdown with now Betts Are Off wanting him to play in the middle .
It is good to want these high draft picks to be given a go , but they have to earn it. and unfortunately Ned hasn't even got close to earning a spot in AFL team and had his chance in pre season games to do so and body struggling to handle mens football currently.
Jones also hasn't really done enough to get picked in team and in the middle but has shown more and hope given a chance next game.
Don't know what other posters think but personally with no SANFL etc was hoping AFL would go to extra on bench to 26 for years and us in particular to give more players a game and create more opportunities for young ones.

Keep scratching my head with the. constant demands for McHenry to be picked for next weeks showdown with now Betts Are Off wanting him to play in the middle .
It is good to want these high draft picks to be given a go , but they have to earn it. and unfortunately Ned hasn't even got close to earning a spot in AFL team and had his chance in pre season games to do so and body struggling to handle mens football currently.
Jones also hasn't really done enough to get picked in team and in the middle but has shown more and hope given a chance next game.
Don't know what other posters think but personally with no SANFL etc was hoping AFL would go to extra on bench to 26 for years and us in particular to give more players a game and create more opportunities for young ones.
I wasn't demanding he play, just saying I want to seem him play. Which is not too insane a request for a 2nd year 1st round draft pick IMO.

Regarding where he plays though I think you are off. For me there is absolutely no problem with giving young, highly touted midfielders runs through the midfield to get them acclimatized to the level. I firmly believe that the reason our Midfield is so bereft of battle tested options right now is our last coaching staff straight up refused to give those young mid's runs through the midfield. And now we still don't really have any idea what we have in "midfielders" like Milera or Smith who are already on their 2nd contract. Let alone Gooch, Poholke, Jones & Ned.

Picking our young mids as FP's is essentially fast tracking them to whipping boy status and I for one would be thrilled to see us finally show some faith in our years 2-4 players.

Now is absolutely the perfect time to play these players. Everyone is on a clean slate. Nobody has 'earned' a spot or not. No SANFL form, or even AFL form for anybody on our list.
Nobody has done enough in 2020, and nobody has locked down their spot. The pre-season games and Round 1 mean about 9/10ths of jack squat when it comes to the rest of the season.

McHenry, McAdam, Jones, Fog, Hamill, Butts, Sholl, McPherson etc - they all should be playing minimum 1, ideally 3-4 of the first month of football being back.

It is the only way we will know if they are any good with no SANFL this year for them.

But hey, if we want to pick players that 'earn' it based on things like professionalism and performance on the training track, then wouldn't it be great if we had 44 David Mackays?

I wasn't demanding he play, just saying I want to seem him play. Which is not too insane a request for a 2nd year 1st round draft pick IMO.

Regarding where he plays though I think you are off. For me there is absolutely no problem with giving young, highly touted midfielders runs through the midfield to get them acclimatized to the level. I firmly believe that the reason our Midfield is so bereft of battle tested options right now is our last coaching staff straight up refused to give those young mid's runs through the midfield. And now we still don't really have any idea what we have in "midfielders" like Milera or Smith who are already on their 2nd contract. Let alone Gooch, Poholke, Jones & Ned.

Picking our young mids as FP's is essentially fast tracking them to whipping boy status and I for one would be thrilled to see us finally show some faith in our years 2-4 players.

Yeah, absolutely correct.

We've traditionally backed in a "right of passage" type process of developing our midfielders. Most get sent forward and struggle, others start back, do well and never end up getting trialed through the midfield.

I also worry that so many of our young players are forced to "bide their time" in the SANFL for so long, that they actually develop into SANFL players, rather than AFL players. There's a clear difference between the competitions, in terms of style, game plans and what works/brings success. Our players end up adapting to the wrong type of football and whilst they become solid players, they struggle to take the next step as their taught the wrong habits early.

Now is the perfect time to play these players. Everyone is on a clean slate. No SANFL form, or even AFL form for anybody on our list.
Nobody has done enough in 2020, and nobody has locked down their spot. The pre-season games and Round 1 mean about 9/10ths of jack squat when it comes to the rest of the season.

McHenry, McAdam, Jones, Fog, Hamill, Butts, Sholl, McPherson etc - they all should be playing minimum 1, ideally 3-4 of the first month of football being back.

It is the only way we will know if they are any good with no SANFL this year for them.

But hey, if we want to pick players that 'earn' it based on things like professionalism and performance on the training track, then wouldn't it be great if we had 44 David Mackays?
Exactly, we'll never find the ceiling of these young players if we don't even let them in the front door. And like you mentioned, has there or will there ever been a more perfect time to do put this experience into this group of players?

This season may as well be called the AFL 'blood your kids' lightning carnival!

I also worry that so many of our young players are forced to "bide their time" in the SANFL for so long, that they actually develop into SANFL players, rather than AFL players. There's a clear difference between the competitions, in terms of style, game plans and what works/brings success. Our players end up adapting to the wrong type of football and whilst they become solid players, they struggle to take the next step as their taught the wrong habits early.

Grigg/Wigg/Poholke syndrome. Those are just off the top of my head too.

Exactly, we'll never find the ceiling of these young players if we don't even let them in the front door. And like you mentioned, has there or will there ever been a more perfect time to do put this experience into this group of players?

This season may as well be called the AFL 'blood your kids' lightning carnival!
With talk like that we will be punished for 'not tanking'

Yeah, absolutely correct.

We've traditionally backed in a "right of passage" type process of developing our midfielders. Most get sent forward and struggle, others start back, do well and never end up getting trialed through the midfield.

Yep, I think the SANFL is great for teaching young defenders how to read the play coming at them. But can negatively impact young mids internal game speed. Which is only really seen when you put them in the AFL side...

Especially as a FP against a AFL quality defender, who 9 times out of 10 should shred a young mid playing out of position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Temperature checks are a very crude measure of infection.
It doesn't pick up asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic carriers of the virus, it doesn't even pick up mildly symptomatic cases who have taken paracetamol which reduces fever.
I walked to work today.

I felt quite warm when I got there, but it's a cold day. My test with the temperature gun on my cold forehead skin was 26.8 degrees.

I am officially dead.

The good news is that if I did have 4 degree temperature spike due to being deliriously sick with coronovirus, I'd have been approaching the normal range.

I'd say Wigg didn't really carve it up in the SANFL like Grigg and Polholke have done, but your point is a good one.

But I think that’s half the issue, these young players are effectively forced to “carve it up” at SANFL level, before they even get a look in at senior level... on a half forward flank... then get dropped because they don’t dominate straight away...

We need to work harder at giving these guys opportunities earlier.

Now is absolutely the perfect time to play these players. Everyone is on a clean slate. Nobody has 'earned' a spot or not. No SANFL form, or even AFL form for anybody on our list.

I completely agree.

If this is going to be another year where the club sticks to the tried and true and looks for excuses to keep young players out of the side then the club may as well just give it away.

This season is the most probably the perfect time to go on all in on youth, with zero crowds and a big asterisk over the year it's most probably the ideal season for the club to tank and get a top 3 pick without it really hurting the club.

I think if you're looking like a top 6 side, especially towards the end of the season, lock the team down, play the senior players, sure.

When deciding to play some kids to give them a taste or see how they go when thrown in the deep end...

Are we a top 4-6 side? Will playing a couple kids instead of average senior players mean missing finals? Probably not so give them a shot...

I think you want to keep enough players in that early 20s age group in the side, enough of them so that when you get to that top 4 side consistently you've got a group of them who can go through that together, not be reliant on a group of players who will peak at the start of your time at the top (seeing us fall out of the 8)

Once they start talking about there being more to life than football, it's just a game, how much they love spending time away from the club... unless you're currently a top 5-10 player, it's time to move on as well. We want a young, super motivated side heading towards the start of an era, not be some nice, family club full of "loyal servants" who haven't achieved much.

Our problem is we could be 10th in the back half of the year and still think we're a bit of a chance to scrape in for the 8th position on percentage so lets take no risks.

How do we keep players if by the time they show anything they are out of contract, uncertain of their place and have clubs promising them game time. Sell the opportunity now.

Another example is with assistant coaches, want a really good and motivated one, they are probably working towards the goal of being a senior coach at a Melbourne club, that's ok, but show them that pathway exists through our club. The example shouldn't be come here and you get to spend 10 years as an assistant in Adelaide, that's ok for average coaches but the best don't want that.

If we actually encouraged our good assistants to move to clubs like Hawthorn/Richmond etc. after 3 or 4 years, apply for senior jobs and the like, I think we'd actually find it easier to attract good assistant coaches because they can see that pathway exists.

We'd probably look at that as having our best poached or whatever, a negative, prefer someone who wasn't ever going to be in demand but willing to do the job forever.

Now is definitely the time to take some risks and be less conservative.

Last edited:
I think if you're looking like a top 6 side, especially towards the end of the season, lock the team down, play the senior players, sure.

When deciding to play some kids to give them a taste or see how they go when thrown in the deep end...

Are we a top 4-6 side? Will playing a couple kids instead of average senior players mean missing finals? Probably not so give them a shot...

I think you want to keep enough players in that early 20s age group in the side, enough of them so that when you get to that top 4 side consistently you've got a group of them who can go through that together, not be reliant on a group of players who will peak at the start of your time at the top (seeing us fall out of the 8)

Once they start talking about there being more to life than football, it's just a game, how much they love spending time away from the club... unless you're currently a top 5-10 player, it's time to move on as well. We want a young, super motivated side heading towards the start of an era, not be some nice, family club full of "loyal servants" who haven't achieved much.

Our problem is we could be 10th in the back half of the year and still think we're a bit of a chance to scrape in for the 8th position on percentage so lets take no risks.

How do we keep players if by the time they show anything they are out of contract, uncertain of their place and have clubs promising them game time. Sell the opportunity now.

Another example is with assistant coaches, want a really good and motivated one, they are probably working towards the goal of being a senior coach at a Melbourne club, that's ok, but show them that pathway exists through our club. The example shouldn't be come here and you get to spend 10 years as an assistant in Adelaide, that's ok for average coaches but the best don't want that.

If we actually encouraged our good assistants to move to clubs like Hawthorn/Richmond etc. after 3 or 4 years, apply for senior jobs and the like, I think we'd actually find it easier to attract good assistant coaches because they can see that pathway exists.

We'd probably look at that as having our best poached or whatever, a negative, prefer someone who wasn't ever going to be in demand but willing to do the job forever.

Exactly. We've been playing average senior players in the past two years and haven't made finals. What on earth is there to lose? We are already 18mths behind in a rebuild.

Prime example of this was us trying to sneak into the 8 last year by picking Jacobs over ROB for Rd 23. Forgetting ROB was far better than Sauce last year anyway.

Yep keep playing the experienced blokes

We should be just jamming on Darcy Byrne Jones comments that he used to have sleepness nights worrying about Eddie and Charlie.
Every forward entry should go through his opponent.
let’s let him have a sleepless night after.

Lucky him, now he gets to have twice the amount of sleepless nights, because they play for two different clubs now.

David and Bryce good to go....

Football returns next week with Adelaide facing the Power at Adelaide Oval on Saturday, June 13.

Walker said fans may see a few new players lining up in the side.

“We’ll probably see a few changes, blood some new guys but also keep some experience,” he said.

Back