AFL Toast Round 2: Brisbane 84 Defeated by Essendon 111

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it is a structural change so we don't have to use our best forward in the ruck.

The third small forward is the player to leave out. It's not going to be Langford or Gleeson.

Yeh because its been working so poorly. I honestly cant believe people.

Finally we have a coach with 2 cents who understands the importance of speed in this game and that big man can be beaten by the modern day zones and become void once the footy hits the deck.

Daniher is offering great importance not only forward but adds something else with his short stints in the ruck. He has had to ruck against Vickery, Close and Casboult this week who all play the exact same role.

Yeh because its been working so poorly. I honestly cant believe people.

Finally we have a coach with 2 cents who understands the importance of speed in this game and that big man can be beaten by the modern day zones and become void once the footy hits the deck.

Daniher is offering great importance not only forward but adds something else with his short stints in the ruck. He has had to ruck against Vickery, Close and Casboult this week who all play the exact same role.

What you and everyone else is doing is assuming that it is working because of the third small forward when in reality there is nothing to back that up.

Go through the last two games and call up all of the times Green and Howlett have been there to do some magical thing that is beyond someone with the ability of McKernan or Stewart.

I'll tell you right now you'll be lucky to find three examples.

In a structural sense, the reason that our forward line is functioning is primarily a function of improved ball movement and a team-wide emphasis on two-way running (which facilitates the improved ball movement). Funnily enough, the moment the two way running stops, as was the case in the second quarter of round 1 and third quarter of round 2, it all falls apart.

It also helps that we've got the best young key and small forwards in the game now being complimented by the class of Walla and the brute power of Hooker.

What you and everyone else is doing is assuming that it is working because of the third small forward when in reality there is nothing to back that up.

Go through the last two games and call up all of the times Green and Howlett have been there to do some magical thing that is beyond someone with the ability of McKernan or Stewart.

In a structural sense, the reason that our forward line is functioning is primarily a function of improved ball movement and a team-wide emphasis on two-way running (which facilitates the improved ball movement). Funnily enough, the moment the two way running stops, as was the case in the second quarter of round 1 and third quarter of round 2, it all falls apart.

It also helps that we've got the best young key and small forwards in the game now being complimented by the class of Walla and the brute power of Hooker.

Id suggest people are assuming its working because the coaching staff appear to not want to change it and are continually bringing in smalls to fill that position instead of talls.

Mckernan has shown he is the height of useless when played majority forward, Stewart cant put on the pressure that Green or Howlett/Begley etc can and they cant run through the midfield.

The magical thing that the smalls have is pace, can run through the midfield and the ability to apply pressure and two way run. If the big guys aren't being selected its because they aren't doing it.

I defer to their expertise on how to best run a structure that works.

From what i saw of Green and Howlett they were very serviceable. Green was quite good opening game and ive watched only the early parts of the brisbane game but saw plenty of Howlett aswell. Dont forget the pressure they're are applying with Walls/Fanta and Colyer in the fwd 50. As soon as we have ever got speed into our side we've looked 10x better as a team. Speed of ball movement and pressure have been great.

Im not sure what part of the 2 way running you think is falling down in those quarters? defensively or offensively. But i certainly know which is the first to go and why teams like the Pies with this 'Awesome midfield' are struggling because they all run one way and thats forward not back. So defensive running is the first thing to always go players can never be too defensively minded. I dont understand how that impacts us in an attacking way up forward.

Id structurally keep everything the same as we look quite good right now and until that changes dont fix it. I dont mind a 3rd tall forward type dont get me wrong but we dont need another lumbering ~198-200cm player. Francis could be that man, Langford could play even more forward or Laverde can provide a bit of both when he returns albeit alot later in the season.

You need to remember we're rotating both Heppell and Watson deep forward for decent periods of time aswell and neither are quick giving them to apply the pressure like a Howlett or Green can. Plus both are decent sizes as is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back