VFL Game Day Round 2: Casey vs Essendon, Casey Fields, Saturday 02/04/2022 @ 3:05 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobbs - very solid game. Would have given him an A but he was a bit scrappy by footy. Really smart player , wins it in close but has outside work rate.
Bryan - did well. Rucked most of the game against Daw who is a solid man mountain. Got better as the game went on. Was an even contest with Daw.
Baldwin had a quiet day. Got crunched in a big marking collision late.
Lord - quiet day at half back.
BZT - good game. Found a bit of the footy and seems to have got out of the habit of trying to mark all the time.
Reid - played limited time. Only saw him a few times in the second quarter. Ddid not notice him in the second half.
Eyre - had a few marking chances forward but did not stick them.
McDonagh - leg was off target. Struggled a bit. Ddi hit the middle of the ground twice on kick in.
Brand - did a few things in defense but generally quite
Voss - started rally well but went out of the game. Played half forward. Did enough to like it.
McBride - played second ruck. competed well. Did enough to keep you interested.
Walla - was clearly short of a run but managed a few highlights and had a decent game
Waterman - played a lot of midfield and kicked a couple of goals when forward. Just not quite there as a midfielder yet. Could be a forward option next week.
Hird - tries hard and his skills are okay but he is just vanilla and not overly quick. Not a good combination for a small bloke.

Atley was good. Did what you need from your VFL captain.
Fejo was not really sightted after punching a Casey player in the neck.
Joel Fitzgerald was decent as the 23rd player. Plenty of touches.

Hobbs - very solid game. Would have given him an A but he was a bit scrappy by footy. Really smart player , wins it in close but has outside work rate.
Bryan - did well. Rucked most of the game against Daw who is a solid man mountain. Got better as the game went on. Was an even contest with Daw.
BZT - good game. Found a bit of the footy and seems to have got out of the habit of trying to mark all the time.
Reid - played limited time. Only saw him a few times in the second quarter. Ddid not notice him in the second half.
McDonagh - leg was off target. Struggled a bit. Ddi hit the middle of the ground twice on kick in.
Voss - started rally well but went out of the game. Played half forward. Did enough to like it.
Walla - was clearly short of a run but managed a few highlights and had a decent game
Waterman - played a lot of midfield and kicked a couple of goals when forward. Just not quite there as a midfielder yet. Could be a forward option next week.
Hird - tries hard and his skills are okay but he is just vanilla and not overly quick. Not a good combination for a small bloke.

hmmm ... sounds like some solid performances but nothing to hang your hat on for a seniors call up next week?

hmmm ... sounds like some solid performances but nothing to hang your hat on for a seniors call up next week?
Was one of those even types of games with both sides having strong periods.

Hobbs is literally our only midfield depth.

So probably only Hobbs and BZT could come in and play a role at AFL level at this stage. Nothing much else out there.

Bryan was ok'ish but is still so thin that he'd get slaughtered at AFL level.

Voss was ok, has a crack, something there to like about this bloke. Hopefully he can build and get his hands on it a bit at this level.

Lord - where do you start. A mile off it.

Tippa - how many weeks to get fit. It'd be a miracle if he could play AFL in 6 weeks.

Hobbs looks like a natural mid …Ant is on the money, he wins it inside but good outside workrate as well. Disposal was sloppy at times but it was windy conditions which may have been a factor.

Waterman should be close as a forward - he has craft and he’s money from set shots. We need both those things right now.

I like Voss. Great rig but more importantly he is a powerful mover and looks very balanced. A bit of Cripps in his body shape and movements. Has all the physical attributes and the aggression of an AFL player.

Tippa is miles away from playing AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players that stood out to me watching the live stream (I think i watched Qtrs 1, 3 and 4 in the end):
Hobbs: He's pretty much exactly as he was described to be. He could definitely be playing AFL if we chose to but otherwise he's getting great experience getting big midfield minutes in the VFL (which he probably wouldn't get in AFL right now).
Tippa: Still got all the silky skills. I was surprised he played a full game since I thought the plan was for him to only do a half - I guess he was feeling good enough to continue. There's no doubt that he comes back into our team when fit. I'd think he'd still play another game or 2 in the VFL but who knows. Its tough because even at his current fitness he's probably more dangerous than Wanganeen/Smith. Shame he missed the shot after the siren but it was on the edge for his distance and he was probably knackered at that point too.
Bryan: Promising game in the VFL against an AFL level opponent. Did his chances no harm. The only thing that's against him is he's showing form in the ruck but you feel like he won't get picked til he does something up forward.
Voss: Intriguing prospect - his size stands out and he does use it to his advantage to take some marks around the ground. He does have that physical edge. He is also quite rough around the edges. I'm not exactly sure what his role would be at AFL level yet. Utility???

On the topic of how many midfielders we've got developing. I don't think its as clear cut as our current midfield is not old and we've got guys like Perkins and Caldwell (still playing a fair bit forward right now), McGrath (squeezed into the backline before injuries) in the AFL. So there aren't really slots without a number of injuries. Even with Merrett out we didn't bring in Hobbs right away and if we didn't have injuries to half our forward line I have no doubt Perkins would get the gig before Hobbs. So it doesn't seem to be that dire when you consider how many guys we've got in our best 22 that are being squeezed out of the midfield already.

This line sounds exactly like it came out of a game in the SFA match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back