Opinion Round 2 No Changes vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Collins. He is a good intercept mark. He is one that I think should come into calculations. For me, Griffen is slow and needs to go- had he have converted his 2 goals then he would have scraped a pass mark. He is a liability defensively and limited in attack. Suban, Pearce, Tucker, Langdon, Kersten and Weller are all within the players that are needing solid performances each week.

Pearce had disposal efficiency close to 80, with the most I50's than any player for us. Brad Hill is our ideal player for I50's, but he needs another player to step up and that should be Weller or Langdon, however their disposal efficiency was nearly 10% worse than Pearce's (Weller 5 I50's though).

This is where we are losing the match - when are these players going to genuinely compete and overtake someone like Pearce?
When will one of these players dispose around 80% efficiency, and lay more tackles than a Suban?
Who from the WAFL is going to make a genuine difference to our team, actually improve our team?

Sure bring in Crozier, Balic, Hughes, Collins, Taberner, Sheriden, Grey but logic and common sense says to me the players with a high clanger count on a consistent basis need to go out. So I think we need to see a few more games and make 1-3 changes per week. IMO, going on Sunday's performance we would drop Weller, Langdon, Griffen, Johnson, Tucker and Kersten. I think the most likely are Suban, Tucker, Griffen and not so likely Kersten.

I am not suggesting at all to drop Langdon, Weller and Tucker, I am saying they had poor games though, as did MJ.
Isnt it MJ and the leader are there to guide them .

Shook my head when Weller was one out in the goal square with Hawkins, how does that happen?
That was a result of Sutcliffe's hack kick out of d50, one of his 2 direct turn over goals. As well as poor team structure facilitated by a number of players either playing together for the first time or for the first time in along time i.e. Hamling, Johnson and Weller

The poster said Geelong had a mid sitting back in defence and because its a mid he doesn't count as the extra defender. I was pointing out it doesn't matter who i the extra defender is its still a 7 man defence.
Sounds about right. Still If our forward line is going to have Walters, McCarthy, Tabs, Griffen and 2 mids such as Langdon and Balic. That could work.

The poster said Geelong had a mid sitting back in defence and because its a mid he doesn't count as the extra defender. I was pointing out it doesn't matter who i the extra defender is its still a 7 man defence.
OK I accept that you see that extra mid as a 7 man defense.

If we're going to beat Port it will have to be a different way to last year against a better Port side playing on their home ground.
Brownlow votes in that game went: Barlow 3 Pavlich 2 Neale 1

There's 10 different players who played for us in that game to the side that played in Round 1 vs Geelong.

Crozier played well at half back flank, Clarke was the sole ruckman with 43 hit outs. Taberner was good up forward. Ballantyne and Mayne serviceable games - Tanner Smith started but was injured. Even Suban had 20 possessions. Sheridan and Collins also played.

Ibbotson, Fyfe, Sandilands, B Hill, McCarthy, Johnson, Hamling, Langdon, Griffin, Kersten the current ins from last year.

IN: Hughes, Crozier OUT: Dawson, Suban

If I where Ross:

Spurr - Collins - Johnson
Crozier - Hamling - Tucker
B.Hill - Fyfe - D.Pearce
Balic - McCarthy - Walters
Weller - Tabs - Kersten
Sandi - S.Hill - Neale
Hughes - Mundy - Ibbotson - Blakely

Out: Dawson, Sutcliffe, Langdon, Griffin, Suban

Tabs can pitch in the ruck when Sandi is off or resting forward, and hopefully that'll get him in the game if he plays like he usually does.

Balic to get Suban's spot as I feel like Balic can do everything Suban does minus the running into opposition players to try and get past them. Could also set up some short 20-30 meter kicks to forwards on the lead very nicely.

Moved Weller into the forward line because with Kersten and Tabs both forward their will be a few dropped marks that need crumbing.

Would like to see Tucker get more game time then he had vs Geelong (60% TOG i think).

Freo simply looked too slow on the weekend vs Geelong and if teams are going to be coping the Bulldog's fast style of play, then we need to get faster in order to put the same amount of pressure on them as we used to. Dawson played better then Johnson, but I feel Johnson is faster or just looks that way, which is why I dropped Dawson instead.

And hopefully McCarthy kicks 5 goals 1 this time instead of 1 goal 5.

If I where Ross:

Spurr - Collins - Johnson
Crozier - Hamling - Tucker
B.Hill - Fyfe - D.Pearce
Balic - McCarthy - Walters
Weller - Tabs - Kersten
Sandi - S.Hill - Neale
Hughes - Mundy - Ibbotson - Blakely

Out: Dawson, Sutcliffe, Langdon, Griffin, Suban

Tabs can pitch in the ruck when Sandi is off or resting forward, and hopefully that'll get him in the game if he plays like he usually does.

Balic to get Suban's spot as I feel like Balic can do everything Suban does minus the running into opposition players to try and get past them. Could also set up some short 20-30 meter kicks to forwards on the lead very nicely.

Moved Weller into the forward line because with Kersten and Tabs both forward their will be a few dropped marks that need crumbing.

Would like to see Tucker get more game time then he had vs Geelong (60% TOG i think).

Freo simply looked too slow on the weekend vs Geelong and if teams are going to be coping the Bulldog's fast style of play, then we need to get faster in order to put the same amount of pressure on them as we used to. Dawson played better then Johnson, but I feel Johnson is faster or just looks that way, which is why I dropped Dawson instead.

And hopefully McCarthy kicks 5 goals 1 this time instead of 1 goal 5.
Very good line up , hope Ross use this . Why langdon out just curious , rather Johnson / ibbo out .

Last years defense, sans Michael Johnson as the distributor, with Ibbotson and Weller leading the rebounds against the Bulldogs, was the best back line we've fielded for a while.
I'm sorry, but I can't swallow that rgauci. I was overseas for Pav's last game and just watched it on the weekend.

I have to say had the Bullies been even slightly motivated to win that game we would have been beaten. We were expecting to see a really good performance, but it was exactly the same as we saw on the weekend, with the difference being the toughness of DeBoer and the fact that we wanted to do it for Pav. The skills were still atrocious, the decision making was comical at times and I was thoroughly disappointed. Not with the result, so glad we sent Pav off with a win but with the overall skills and game plan.

Just a personal opinion, but if you watch it without the emotion associated with the day you might agree?

Can we stop asking for changes , let play this same line up until everything turn really bad. No point panic now , is not like Johnson and Dawson going to win a flag with freo , give them a good farewell like pav when season end .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This extra man at the back ( MJ) is so old school. Other team not afraid of the extra if they don't bomb their inside 50 . you can't intercepted it but only can spoil flat low kick.
Sorry to say this but Geelong played most of the game against us with a 5 man forward line and a 7 man defence . The deferent game plan that Geelong used was that their midfield ran harder both in attack and defence .

Interesting to hear Bond tonight on radio. Raised Balic, Taberner and Hughes as ones from Peel that might get a look in (Hase mentioned Logue and Darcy but they didn't rate a mention). Most enthusiasm was for Hughes; pointed comment on them being pleased with Taberner's workrate (what were they not pleased with?). Also mentioned Blakely as a player he felt had been developed really well (by Ross) which was interesting. Also talked as if Dawson was a player that would be picked based upon opponent ("Hawkins we felt was a good fit for him").

Interesting to hear Bond tonight on radio. Raised Balic, Taberner and Hughes as ones from Peel that might get a look in (Hase mentioned Logue and Darcy but they didn't rate a mention). Most enthusiasm was for Hughes; pointed comment on them being pleased with Taberner's workrate (what were they not pleased with?). Also mentioned Blakely as a player he felt had been developed really well (by Ross) which was interesting. Also talked as if Dawson was a player that would be picked based upon opponent ("Hawkins we felt was a good fit for him").

What no mention of croz ffs??

Hughes has been unimpressive at afl level so far.

Hughes will be deer in the headlight in AfL. Put croz in as HB.

This is how i would like to see freo line up against port

this line up would be loosing by 10 goals at half time and blow off the park by 15 to 18 goals by full time

Spurr. Collins. Crozier

Hughes. Hamling. Logue

Hill. fyfe Hill

Weller Tabener blakely

Langdon. McCarthy. Walters

Ruck

Sandilands
Neale
Mundy

Bench

Tucker
Balic
D. Pearce
Ibbotson

Personally I think mundy is becoming too slow as a mid but he stays in there for a bit of experience.

Collins may not be amazing but neither is Dawson youth over him

Hughes and logue make the defense inexperienced but ibbotson can come off the bench

Tabener is a better tall than kersten and can backup sandilands with his height when the ball is forward of center.

Balic deserves a go with his stats he has been averaging.

(what were they not pleased with?
JTL 1 against the Eagles I thought he was strangely indolent,from memory.Chaotic entry inside 50 wouldn't have helped but I remember thinking he lacked his usual energy and run.
Can we get a link for the interview??I never have any luck with 6PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back