Opinion Round 2 No Changes vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it you didn't actually watch the game yesterday?
He was terrific.

Agreed BUT we don't want guys who beat their opponent do we? We want younger players and rebounders because who needs to stop an opponent when we can run the ball out!

Similar calls for Dawson to be dropped for Sam Collins infuriate me, Collins would've had 6 kicked on him by Hawkins yesterday. If Alex Pearce is fit then Dawson doesn't play but he is a decent stopper, no he isnt McPharlin but he does his job.

You can't just play young guys and expect they'll be better because they're getting a game. Look at Tabs he has had ample chances but isn't an AFL player.

There is a balance needed in the situation we're in but we need a few competitive guys (Zac d, Ibbo) to ensure we don't lose by 90 points each week.

Some young guys haven't taken their chances in the past - Sheridan, Crozier the chief culprits, they've played finals, they've had their chances.

Kersten was also s**t in the pre season sims. Been s**t since he arrived. Anthony cringe worthy.
I honestly don't think tab is the solution . except playing an extra mid and one less ruck. Let fyfe be full forward he will not be as effective like Taylor playing forwars but drag attention away from tab and cam Mac and drop griffin for tab.

I want Balic in. Preferably for Suban. I'd give everyone else another game or swap Grif/Kersten for Tabs. However we may see a completely unchanged line up.

On Kersten, all he looks like to me is a Mayne sized Taberner. I never rated him at Geelong, pick 65 was the right value and were finding that out now, I'd rather Tabs play because every now and then he at least clunks the odd mark and takes a taller defender despite being a dud. A small can play on Kersten.

On Kersten, all he looks like to me is a Mayne sized Taberner. I never rated him at Geelong, pick 65 was the right value and were finding that out now, I'd rather Tabs play because every now and then he at least clunks the odd mark and takes a taller defender despite being a dud. A small can play on Kersten.

I think Kersten would be a great third/fourth tall but he's got the same problem that Mayne has which is because of our disfunctional forwarline he's now our second forward.

I think Kersten would be a great third/fourth tall but he's got the same problem that Mayne has which is because of our disfunctional forwarline he's now our second forward.
^^ this.

We need Tabs/Apeness at FF, then we have McCarthy and Kersten as the other talls. Kersten is a very accurate kick but he's not going to contest many kick and hope balls in the 50. He'll make sound decisions in that 40-70m range from goal but he can't be the focus.

I really don't understand the MJ love , kebab in pre season ,not getting any younger and worse of all injury prone. Who need experience to allow direct opposition two easy goal .

Completely agree with this. From his turnovers alone it resulted in 4 goals to Geelong. Time for him to go rest in Greener Pastures of Retirement, has been slow for a while and we actually look a better team without him in it.

Dawson was a whole lot better than Johnson was last night but Zac's problem is he is always made the scapegoat.

Time to bring in Collins and see his development.

Completely agree with this. From his turnovers alone it resulted in 4 goals to Geelong. Time for him to go rest in Greener Pastures of Retirement, has been slow for a while and we actually look a better team without him in it.

Dawson was a whole lot better than Johnson was last night but Zac's problem is he is always made the scapegoat.

Time to bring in Collins and see his development.
If zac is 22 years old , I will definitely keep him playing , he is definitely not playing that bad as people make up for.

^^ this.

We need Tabs/Apeness at FF, then we have McCarthy and Kersten as the other talls. Kersten is a very accurate kick but he's not going to contest many kick and hope balls in the 50. He'll make sound decisions in that 40-70m range from goal but he can't be the focus.

No doubt he is a great kick but he dropped at least 2 absolute sitters on the weekend which could have had him on the score board. Agree delivery was shite though but could of held those easy enough.

Dawson was fine. He was typical Dawson - not great but fairly solid. The reason we should consider changing him is we run the risk of heading into 2018 without him and Johnson and us left with Alex Pearce who may not play much, if at all this season, Collins and Hamling (that is incredibly inexperienced and Collins and Hamling desperately need to play together to get a feel for each other imo). Hamling and Weller might be the only two defenders we played yesterday that are still on our list and in the mix in a couple of years. I agree with others who have said we need balance but we don't when we play 5-6 old and slow defenders. Yes we might lose by even more. But we supposedly played our most experienced team yesterday and got pumped by 40 - what are we risking by playing some younger defenders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did Sutcliffe do so poorly for him to get dropped?
He had one turnover that led to a goal against and people are focussing on that. I personally thought he was pretty solid apart from that. He went @ 90.5% DE, 21 disposals, (so he had 2 ineffective disposals in the game), 6 marks, 385 metres gained, 2 r50s. Can't see him not keeping his spot.

May sound crazy but we do actually have a player who is competitive as a 2nd ruck and is arguably as good a forward as he is a defender - Zac Dawson.

If we dropped Griffin we could move Dawson to FF and play another running defender in his place in the backline - which in my opinion was too tall last night.
I was going to post along these lines. We need some meaningful tall grunt inside forward 50, he can ruck a bit, and we have a tall defender in Collins showing form at WAFL. Could be worth a try.

Kersten was terrible and I expect him to be, but Taberner should never play for the club again. It's a tough situation. Maybe playing those two and McCarthy would be interesting, maybe with one copping the third defender they could actually go okay and kick more than one or two flakey goals.

Kersten was terrible and I expect him to be, but Taberner should never play for the club again. It's a tough situation. Maybe playing those two and McCarthy would be interesting, maybe with one copping the third defender they could actually go okay and kick more than one or two flakey goals.
Don't mind to experimental it at all but griffin got to be out so is Mj.

Johnson was a major issue last night. He looks miles off. Needs to find his touch again.
+
I think our backline had one to many talls. We need a quicker backline.

Out: Johnson
In: Crozier

Back in Ibbo as the 3rd tall to work with Dawson and Hamling.

Spurr - Dawson - Hamling
Crozier - Ibbotson - Sutty
+ Weller working between the hbf/wing.

Out: Suban because he is a s**t truck and went missing after he kicked his goal.
In: Balic because we should reward 3 good games at Peel.

From Ross' presser I think Kersten will get another crack.

Crozier - Collins - Ibbotson
Hughes - Hamling - Johnson
Hill - Neale - Hill
Walters - Fyfe - Blakely
Weller - McCarthy - Kersten

R: Griffin - Langdon - Mundy
I/C: Balic - new - new - new

Crozier last chance saloon. Give Kersten another game. I don't like MJ really but he went okay, seemed to put his head over the ball and show some semblance of attack on the ball. Blakely was really good as a half-forward. McCarthy's first half was a little lacklustre but he got much much better as the game finished off. Langdon is usually someone I don't rate but I thought he got amongst it... had a bad kick, did a dumb thing or two, but mostly seems to be getting more touches. Hughes I like, Hamling needs time to realise wtf he's actually supposed to be doing... Ibbo was decent, Collins is a good player. Keep Logue primed for a home game in round three. Uh. Thought Stephen Hill did some good things but him getting done ball because he literally would rather that than kick with his right proves he will eternally be a headache.

I think Johnson should be phased out this year, Dawson should have been phased out well and truly by the start of last season – good teams replace middling deadwood like him with no second thought... the Hawks trade out their two best midfielders to be proactive, the Cats do similar things... Dawson has never been as good as some of the players they ditched, even the worst ones, yet here we are.

Also, Sandi... see you later mate. I think he's overrated. Doesn't do enough these days. Why does he jump so early? Why does he always handball it off? Frustrating.

Last edited:
Why has the club not continued with Crozier across half back/back pocket?! He was a revelation last season filling Duffields role with aplomb before getting injured. Would have thought with the Ballas injury it could have pushed Weller forward allowing Crozier to fill the void in the back line.
Absolutely spot on , not sure why RTB is so blind side on this problem.

Don't mind to experimental it at all but griffin got to be out so is Mj.
Dropping Johnson will make us worse, he and Sandilands are our two most experienced players and we are a better team with them in it then out of it, Johnson had a crap game but if we're dropping players because of one bad performance then we better send 3 quarters of the team to Peel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back