Review Round 2: Collingwood 36-36 Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

i was listening to the radio today and it seems everyone wasn't impressed with last nights game. It seems that all the media hipster types are regular punters, are regular smart arses and are regular critics of the style of footy these days. Hasn't anyone told these style gurus that the guys playing the sport have been training alone for a couple of months and then had a few inhouse practice games?

Dont get me wrong. There are many aspects of 80/90s footy that I liked. The defensive strategies used today have stifled a lot of the spectacular aspects of the sport. I support the rule changes that are trying to wind the clock back a bit. However, this continual trendy nose in the air bashing of the game is giving me the sheets. So go and watch your NBA crap, which involves 60 minutes of boring dunking followed by a couple of minutes excitement at the end... or to the soccer where you can spend hours and hours watching nothing but little short passes and sweet luck anything else... or NRL which produces 3 good games every year called state of origin. I'm just sick of em.
The way I see it. Superior endurance has effectively made the ground smaller, enabling defensive flooding to be too effective. Stuff the silly little rule changes and move to 16 a side.

I'm flogging a dead horse... not Good Horse of course but anyway, it pissed me off no end that the AFL in all its infinite wisdom declared it a mark. I know it wasn't and will take it to my grave. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm flogging a dead horse... not Good Horse of course but anyway, it pissed me off no end that the AFL in all its infinite wisdom declared it a mark. I know it wasn't and will take it to my grave. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
The administration of this game are anti Collingwood. Always have been. The facts don’t lie.

The administration of this game are anti Collingwood. Always have been. The facts don’t lie.

I've been a member of the BF family since 2011 and have so far complained about the umpires maybe once in all that time but yesterday's officiating took the cake. Woeful umpiring.

The game was still ours to lose and we almost did by missing very "gettable" shots early on... deja vu? :)

I've been a member of the BF family since 2011 and have so far complained about the umpires maybe once in all that time but yesterday's officiating took the cake. Woeful umpiring.

The game was still ours to lose and we almost did by missing very "gettable" shots early on... deja vu? :)
The umpires made a gross mistake with the goal line decision. The initial call of point needed no checking. When it was checked the evidence was not sufficient to overturn the initial decision. Yet they did.

What is far worse is for the AFL to back the decision. Never forget that we, as one of the oldest and most successful sides, did not get a single representative in the AFL Team of the Century.

One things for sure, our defence is the best in the league. We may not have the biggest names back there, but they play their roles perfectly and defend fiercely.

We’ve conceded just 394 points in our last 8 matches, at an average of 49.25 a game. The highest score against us in that time was just 65 points.

The crazy thing is that Stephenson was left out by choice. And even Cox was listed as omitted.

Not sure to read too much into that with Cox when it was confirmed his body wasn’t 100% and better suited to a scratch match. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing him again soon enough.

One things for sure, our defence is the best in the league. We may not have the biggest names back there, but they play their roles perfectly and defend fiercely.

We’ve conceded just 394 points in our last 8 matches, at an average of 49.25 a game. The highest score against us in that time was just 65 points.
Our defensive unit is incredible. They kept us in that game last night;

Maynard, Roughead, Howe, Moore, Crisp etc. are a wonderful group.

Finally someone has explained it to the simpletons! Bravo
Here's the still image of the decision. The other angle shows the boundary umpire was peering around the back of the post, however his head isn't visible in this image as it's in the blindspot that those drawings highlighted.

1591999838860.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't too fused with the Higgins decision, but these drawings show an issue with the camera placement

Where they have the Camera's makes it almost Pointless to have them

Collingwood have drawn with the reigning premiers Richmond, despite leading by 4 goals during the first half (including Quarter Time) and had the last roll of the dice within the final seconds to secure victory, which did not eventuate. The Woods were able to create contests and scoring opportunities across half-forward in the first quarter by maintaining possession effectively. That style of play would dry up constantly in the second half when the Tigers were able to take intercept marks at will whenever the Pies surged forward from stoppages or defence on transition. The desire to not concede goals by both sides became more notable the longer the game went, especially in the clinches at the death.

Collingwood were able to make gains in disposals by +52 (333 - 281), kicks by +9 (186 - 177), handballs were won by +43 (147 - 104), while contested possessions were won by +10 (129 - 119), and uncontested possessions had a differential of +36 (199 - 163). Additional gains were made from Uncontested Marks by +5 (69 - 64), Contested Marks were won by +2 (12 - 10), Marks Inside 50 had a differential of +2 (6 - 4), while hit-outs were won convincingly by +13 (37 - 24), and centre clearances were commandingly won by the Woods for the majority of the evening by +5 (9 - 4). Richmond were able to negate two focal points of Collingwood's plan by controlling forward entries and winning stoppage clearances. Clearances were in favour of the Tigers by +2 (32 - 30), stoppage clearances by +7 (28 - 21), tackles by +41 (70 -29), intercept possessions were won by +1 (67 - 66) +1 for Tackles Inside 50 (6 - 5) and Inside 50's had a differential of +12 (44 - 32).

Scott Pendlebury (31 disposals @ 68%, 417 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 16 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50's & 2 Rebound 50's) was Collingwood's most polished performer and hit targets at will in very dewy conditions. Pendlebury always buys himself and his team extra seconds to make the correct decisions.

Steele Sidebottom (27 disposals @ 63%, 396 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 2 marks, 2 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50's & 1 goal) dominated early in the first half before dropping off in the second half. Very damaging player when he is on fire.

Josh Daicos (24 disposals @ 88%, 326 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50's & 5 Rebound 50's) thrived on the wing and did not look out of place once. Could become an established AFL player by the end of the season.

Taylor Adams (21 disposals @ 86%, 353 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 7 handballs, 6 marks, 5 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 5 score involvements, 8 clearances, 4 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50's & 1 goal) roved Brodie Grundy's taps brilliantly and was the most likely midfielder to pump the ball forward from clearances.

Brodie Grundy (15 disposals @ 67%, 182 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 33 hit-outs, 7 kicks, 8 handpasses, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50's) started slowly but built progressively over the course of the game. Rarely gets beaten in ruck contests, and it was on full display again.

Brayden Maynard (23 disposals @ 87%, 524 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50's & 4 Rebound 50's) demonstrated his strengths with his booming left foot and accurate kicking game when opting for shorter kicks to release teammates.

Jack Crisp (20 disposals @ 85%, 379 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 8 handballs, 10 marks, 2 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50's) complimented Maynard with his marking and transition game.

Jeremy Howe (20 disposals @ 80%, 364 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50's) put on an aerial masterclass, while providing decent territory on transition to neutralise Richmond's dominance.

Tom Phillips (20 disposals @ 60%, 209 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 7 handballs, 7 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 4 score involvements, 2 Rebound 50's & 2 goals) was Collingwood's only player with multiple goals. Played well as a half-forward flanker to impact the scoreboard, yet he had two chances that he would've loved to have converted into goals. Could have had 4 goals to his name. Learn to take every chance in front of goal, Flipper!

Jordan De Goey (17 disposals @ 29%, 266 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 7 handballs, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements & 2 clearances) looked lively and threatening, but his execution to kick goals went missing at the wrong time. Kick a drop punt instead of a checkside (banana) when you're in the corridor, Jordan.

Darcy Cameron (13 disposals @ 62%, 133 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 4 hit-outs, 7 kicks, 6 handballs, 8 marks, 3 Contested Marks & 2 score involvements) had a commendable debut for the club by providing a marking option and contest at every opportunity. There could be a future for you with the Woods, Darcy.

Collingwood's next game will be on June 20 against St.Kilda at the MCG. Creating more contests and crumbs across half-forward shall lead to greater opportunities to score more goals. Work on that during the week at training, then execute that plan against the Saints on game day to collect the points.

I am surprised to see how many possessions Crisp got. I thought his game was pretty poor. He was unaccountable and probably all the uncontested possies suggest this to an extent. He is usually great.

I am surprised to see how many possessions Crisp got. I thought his game was pretty poor. He was unaccountable and probably all the uncontested possies suggest this to an extent. He is usually great.
Have you given a thought that his usual play style is so at variance with Friday night - this performance you so revile?

Do you imagine he could possibly be playing to instructions?

Positives:

We blitzed them in the first quarter: shorter quarters mean there's less time for comebacks and we are fast starters.

We got two points in a game where Richmond killed us for strength over three quarters.

Cameron completely surprised me, I was expecting another Jesse White but he's not bad. Looked clueless after taking a mark a couple of times (in fact he handballed 3 times IIRC) but he took them and by the end was kicking well.

Daicos and the Browns showed more than ever.

As mentioned our defence is a real terror for the opposition, we have a great mix of strength, speed and judgement. Even little Noble had ripping patches of play.

I think Bucks had a couple of gameplans: the short game in the first slaughtered them, although it broke down in the second it was still looking a chance for us to score. In the second we seemed to go more chaos ball and while its not a bad plan they beat us for strength

Negatives:

In the second half hey let us get to the ball and trashed us.

Poor staying power, in the last two years we have surprised sides with comebacks and short blitzes to stay in games (eg final quarter of the 2018 GF). We did not look like it and got a few scoring shots from individual efforts and tired rebounds only. Hopefully its just mental rustiness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back