VFL Game Day Round 2: 35 point win over the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Could probably lump everyone into 4 buckets.

The readymade AFL bodies (Ambrose, Waterman and Cutler) all had big impacts, Waterman probably should have had at least 4 and will be a handful at VFL level in the dry. Ambrose is a battleaxe and it would not surprise me at all if he comes in to play the role Hooker is playing in the ones if he gets hurt. I didn't notice Cutler in the first half but his kicking use was a level above and could have had a really big day if he was a bit more selfish and kicked straight.

Developing talls (Bryan, Eyre, Brand, McBride) they all move really fluently and don't lumber about which is nice, the latter 3 had nice moments and touches at times and Bryan is obviously a little further along and was the dominant player on the park through 2 and a half quarters but faded a little bit.

Tackers (Hird, Johnson, Cahill) I don't think the end game with Cahill is permanent on baller but his involvement over the course of the game was nice and he kinda just naturally finds it, kicking penetration and core strength so he can stick and break tackles will be his challenges. Didn't think much of Johnson's game but he chucks himself in and tackles strongly and has the type of stocky frame that shorter mids need to be successful. Hird was probably the most pleasing of the 3, has a nice, long peg on him and never panics, hopefully the other parts of his game catch up.

VFL listers: Tynan and Younan are probably the only bankable guns but McLarty and Baker did some really nice things and could potentially be MSD candidates

The readymade AFL bodies (Ambrose, Waterman and Cutler) all had big impacts, Waterman probably should have had at least 4 and will be a handful at VFL level in the dry. Ambrose is a battleaxe and it would not surprise me at all if he comes in to play the role Hooker is playing in the ones if he gets hurt. I didn't notice Cutler in the first half but his kicking use was a level above and could have had a really big day if he was a bit more selfish and kicked straight.

Developing talls (Bryan, Eyre, Brand, McBride) they all move really fluently and don't lumber about which is nice, the latter 3 had nice moments and touches at times and Bryan is obviously a little further along and was the dominant player on the park through 2 and a half quarters but faded a little bit.

Tackers (Hird, Johnson, Cahill) I don't think the end game with Cahill is permanent on baller but his involvement over the course of the game was nice and he kinda just naturally finds it, kicking penetration and core strength so he can stick and break tackles will be his challenges. Didn't think much of Johnson's game but he chucks himself in and tackles strongly and has the type of stocky frame that shorter mids need to be successful. Hird was probably the most pleasing of the 3, has a nice, long peg on him and never panics, hopefully the other parts of his game catch up.

VFL listers: Tynan and Younan are probably the only bankable guns but McLarty and Baker did some really nice things and could potentially be MSD candidates
Harrold, Dunkley, Smithson and Atley makes a solid enough VFL core with the above if we have a relatively fit AFL list.

Harrold, Dunkley, Smithson and Atley makes a solid enough VFL core with the above if we have a relatively fit AFL list.

Could well be because it's been a while since I've seen them go around and the change has been quite significant, just doesn't feel as strong, perhaps that's due to the AFL contingent though

Could well be because it's been a while since I've seen them go around and the change has been quite significant, just doesn't feel as strong, perhaps that's due to the AFL contingent though
Our core in 2019 had A Heppell, Aylett, Hocking, Lazarro and Bowman for comparison, along with Tynan and Younan. McLarty is currently better than Bowman as a KPP comparison, Heppell and Atley are pretty similar, Harrold isn't as good as Aylett but I'd take Dunkley, Smithson and Baker over Hocking and Lazarro.

I think our depth is definitely weaker though. And our AFL contingent is as well.

Apparently they didn’t assess it as a trip, which is weird because if it’s not a trip it’s basically a slide tackle which you’d think would be misconduct and therefore worse?

This is what has always bothered me. Our VFL ‘club’ tends to emphasise more on winning games than actually develop our AFL players.

Is Cahil going to play on ball at AFL level? Doubt it. Why is he playing on ball at the lower level? It’s stupid man management.

I understand it’s a fine balancing act (winning games/player development) but the club needs to do better. These small mids doing what they do at VFL level ultimately comes down to our lack of big (AFL) bodied mids. Atley, Dunkley, Harold are ok VFL listed but shouldn’t be our first choice mids.

Anyways, good win but still need work to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back