Carlton (1-0) v C'wood (1-0)
Sun 16 Feb, 3.10pm AEDT
Ikon Park, Carlton North VIC
7mate (Melb, Syd, Perth, Bris)

Adelaide (0-1) v St Kilda (0-1)
Sun 16 Feb, 4.40pm ACDT
Hisense Stadium, Richmond SA
7mate (Adel)

As usual, in addition to the free-to-air coverage listed above: all games are broadcast live on Foxtel and Kayo, and free to stream via the AFLW app, the AFL app, the AFLW website, the AFL website, the Telstra TV AFLW app and god knows what else.

Can't wait for the Derby.

Oooh yes, you going? It'll be a heli of an event.

Injury news

Oooh yes, you going?
Me and my footballing daughters are going and we are getting very excited. :D

Expecting a drubbing from Freo (my pick for the flag) but you never know!

Dogs v Melbourne looks a tough pick

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Me and my footballing daughters are going and we are getting very excited. :D

Expecting a drubbing from Freo (my pick for the flag) but you never know!
Freo are experts at both losing when they shouldn't and winning when they shouldn't (as evidenced by beating 4 of the 6 top teams last year whilst also losing to 4 of the bottom 5 teams last season in AFL). Crossing fingers that only applies to the men's team but nothing would surprise me with the club I support.

Either way I hope WC and Freo fans are there en masse, get behind WA women's footy and give the record a nudge.

Freo are experts at both losing when they shouldn't and winning when they shouldn't (as evidenced by beating 4 of the 6 top teams last year whilst also losing to 4 of the bottom 5 teams last season in AFL). Crossing fingers that only applies to the men's team but nothing would surprise me with the club I support.
Ahh man, you've got it all covered buddy. Make no mistake, team is very balanced and has some hardened bodies.

Either way I hope WC and Freo fans are there en masse, get behind WA women's footy and give the record a nudge.

Absolutely!

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Oooh yes, you going? It'll be a heli of an event.

Injury news

Got work in Melbourne. Legit fly home the day after.

Will still make sure I'm front of the TV though.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City

If we're judging off the mens team though you'd bet on a Freo win.

How many genuine derby upsets have there been? Maybe one in early 2007, but the others (like WC in late 2015) have come when one team is better form then the other and just hadn't been recognized for that before the game.

Freo are the better team right now, and if both teams go as hard as the game warrants you'd expect Freo to come out on top.

There might be some leftovers of annoying weather from last weekend, with thunderstorms in Footscray and nagging rain in Launceston, but overall it should be much better conditions. Suns coach David Lake, unwittingly describing the whole first round, probably said it best in his post-match presser: "you could analyse the hell out of that and not learn very much".

Consequently I'll hold back from adjusting pre-existing suspicions about each team for another week or so.

My tips
After a round one performance that some are calling AFLW's best haul of seven since Brooke Lochland skated into our hearts, I'm expecting to come crashing back down to earth this week:
Melb by 30 pts
NM by 12 pts
Rich by 18 pts
Frem by 24 pts
Geel by 6 pts
Coll by 1 pt
Adel by 50 pts

With Wuetschner out, it reminds me: Nicole Livingstone, on the Women's Footy show last Sunday, said something like "I wasn't aware of Jess' situation". There are articles here and here and here (and I could post more) from before the lightning strike that explicitly state Woosh works overnight shifts after training sessions and games. I know Nicole's role as AFLW spokesperson has a misleadingly fancy title, but it's still hard to believe she could be as oblivious as she claims to be.

On to tonight's game, it will be interesting to see how much homework Nathan Burke has done on the Demons. I do recall him commentating on them back in 2017, so that's something. But Mick Stinear's loose defenders cakewalking across the narrow Whitten Oval wings/flanks is also ingrained in my memory. The outcome could heavily rely on how somebody like Libby Birch is counteracted. And yes, there will be no love lost between Birch and her ex-Bulldog mates on this most sacred day of Valentine's--down a shot every time you hear such an allusion during the broadcast.

Sundays Teams:

Sunday, February 16
Geelong v Brisbane, GMHBA Stadium, 1.10pm AEDT

GEELONG

B:
M.Brown 19 M.McMahon 24
HB: M.Keryk 45 M.Hickey - C 18 D.Taylor 28
C: S.Van De Heuvel 27 R.Cranston 30 N.Morrison 9
HF: J.Crockett-Grills 6 M.Maguire 7 R.Garing 12
F: P.McWilliams 23 J.Ivey 5
Foll: A.O'Connor 14 R.Webster 21 O.Purcell 16
I/C: A.McDonald 3 D.Higgins 2 G.Rankin 10 G.Clarke 17 R.Caris 1
Emerg: R.Goring 44 M.Boyd 26

In: R.Caris
Out: R.Goring

BRISBANE

B:
N.Grider 10 S.Campbell 20
HB: R.Lugg 11 K.Lutkins 13 C.Svarc 25
C: E.Zielke - C 8 B.Koenen 3 S.Webb 4
HF: L.Arnell 16 J.Tawhiao-Wardlaw 30 S.Conway 12
F: D.Davidson 14 G.Bodey 15
Foll: J.Keeffe 27 A.Anderson 18 E.Bates 1
I/C: I.Dawes 17 M.Moloney 28 G.Collingwood 7 O.O'Dwyer 9 L.Postlethwaite 6
Emerg: J.Zanchetta 2 J.Ellenger 5

In: G.Collingwood
Out: J.Wuetschner (managed)

Carlton v Collingwood, Ikon Park, 3.10pm AEDT

CARLTON

B:
G.Pound 6 C.Wilson 20
HB: K.Harrington - C 9 V.Laloifi 8 L.Brazzale 12
C: C.Dalton 15 G.Gee 19 J.Hosking 11
HF: N.Stevens 21 T.Harris 7 L.McEvoy 13
F: A.Downie 30 J.Doonan 26
Foll: B.Moody 16 G.Egan 1 M.Prespakis 4
I/C: S.Hosking 10 N.Plane 32 B.Walker 14 K.Loynes 2 D.Vescio 3
Emerg: J.Edwards 25 A.McKay 5

In: J.Hosking
Out: J.Van Dyk (injured)

COLLINGWOOD

B:
A.Porter 9 S.Livingstone 12
HB: L.Butler 23 A.Brazill 10 E.Fowler 15
C: S.Rowe 7 B.Bonnici 8 S.Chiocci - C 17
HF: C.Molloy 2 S.D'Arcy 4 S.Dargan 46
F: M.Cann 25 J.Allen 6
Foll: S.Layton 1 A.Sheridan 14 J.Lambert 13
I/C: S.Casey 22 K.Stratton 41 S.Alexander 24 J.Membrey 21 M.Shevlin 35 E.O'Dea 50
Emerg: E.Hynes 11 K.Stratton 41

In: E.O'Dea
Out: B.Davey (shin)

Adelaide v St Kilda, Hisense Stadium, 4.40pm ACDT

ADELAIDE

B:
D.Cox 31 C.Biddell 12
HB: A.Foley 3 S.Allan 39 M.Rajcic 32
C: S.Li 19 E.Marinoff 10 J.Mules 23
HF: E.Jones 2 C.Gum 5 R.Forth 27
F: D.Ponter 15 S.Thompson 14
Foll: J.Foley - C 24 A.Hatchard 33 N.Allen 8
I/C: C.Gould 1 A.Considine 16 M.Newman 17 N.Campbell 20 N.Gore 7
Emerg: M.McKinnon 21 J.Tabb 28

In: S.Li, C.Gould
Out: R.Martin (ineligible), J.Tabb

ST KILDA

B:
T.White 29 C.Fitzpatrick 24
HB: H.Priest 14 C.Phillips 35 T.Lucas-Rodd 18
C: D.Guttridge 5 J.Sedunary 10 M.McDonald 1
HF: N.Exon 15 K.McCarthy 9 C.Greiser 17
F: K.Shierlaw 12 G.Patrikios 21
Foll: R.Watt - C 7 O.Vesely 23 R.Dillon 25
I/C: A.Brown 2 C.Munn 13 N.Xenos 27 C.Whitfort 4 A.Drennan 8
Emerg: I.Shannon 11 P.Kelly 16

In: D.Guttridge, C.Munn, A.Drennan
Out: K.O'Neill, N.Von Bertouch (knee), E.Mackie

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
There might be some leftovers of annoying weather from last weekend, with thunderstorms in Footscray and nagging rain in Launceston, but overall it should be much better conditions. Suns coach David Lake, unwittingly describing the whole first round, probably said it best in his post-match presser: "you could analyse the hell out of that and not learn very much".

Consequently I'll hold back from adjusting pre-existing suspicions about each team for another week or so.

My tips
After a round one performance that some are calling AFLW's best haul of seven since Brooke Lochland skated into our hearts, I'm expecting to come crashing back down to earth this week:
Melb by 30 pts
NM by 12 pts
Rich by 18 pts
Frem by 24 pts
Geel by 6 pts
Coll by 1 pt
Adel by 50 pts

Wish I had your confidence about tonight's result! (Of course, I got a mere 6 from my first round...that Brisbane tip was genius). On the bright side, it is a good tough start for my Dees to get them straight into their best football.

Melbourne by 6
North Melbourne by 18
Gold Coast by 2
Fremantle by 30
Geelong by 6
Carlton by 18
Adelaide by 30

Davey and Wuetchner are big outs for their teams.

Last edited:
Shame about that Stynes-across-the-mark-esque error from the Irishwoman earlier.

Ground is at peak slickness, hopefully no more rain and the pace of the game can be sustained.

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Happy enough with that. Tough conditions, better start than last week.

Goldrick has a few things to learn still, has cost two pretty poor goals in two weeks, but I do love her running, so there is plenty of upside to our Irish import. Pearce has upped her involvement from last week (which was not poor, just not through the roof as it often is).

No surprise to see Blackburn fighting hard, she is a true warrior.

WibblingChicken

Debutant
Feb 8, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Frustrating half.

We looked dominant in many aspects, but a bad 50 m penalty error, and 6 missed shots and Bulldogs are 2 good minutes away from us.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Melbourne are pretty good - not sure they also need to get free kicks paid when the ball hits one of their players.

Stop paying soft free kicks every 30 seconds :( 25 free kicks in a half is ridiculous.

Dees should be 30 up, every time the Dogs go forward there are 2 or 3 Dees players sitting by themselves across half back.

Back