Round 2 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast and Richmond, the first two expansion teams to play each other in the AFLW given that the Cats and Roos didn't meet last year. So this could be... interesting, but I'm looking forward to it and really have no idea what to expect here.

Things a bitter sacked coach would say...

I'm not sure why Paul Groves is bothering. He always seemed like a great guy to me. This doesn't make him look better, put it that way. Nor does such a criticism match up with reports from back when Birch requested a trade that it was "the Club’s strong preference to retain [her]".

Disclaimer: I didn't see the tweet for myself so part of me will always wonder if the shitstirrer journalist misquoted or fabricated part or all of it. Can't wait for Lauren Wood's follow-up to the follow-up to the follow-up article about Darcy Vescio's thoughts on the CBA, with the headline reading "Players Agree AFLW Sucks"
Can't really blame Groves. Birch (or a better name is Bitch) was really disrespectful to the club she played in a flag with with. She bagged the club in her comments at half time and then had another swipe at them after the game. Fair enough she left, but you need to show some respect to your former teammates. Groves was just sticking up for himself.

Happy enough with that. Tough conditions, better start than last week.

Goldrick has a few things to learn still, has cost two pretty poor goals in two weeks, but I do love her running, so there is plenty of upside to our Irish import. Pearce has upped her involvement from last week (which was not poor, just not through the roof as it often is).

No surprise to see Blackburn fighting hard, she is a true warrior.
massive fan of hers. been my favourite player (outside of the perfection that is Tayla Harris' kicking action) in AFLW.

Well a pretty good start there, I was gonna point out the 1/4 time scoreline of 8-14 is what each team kicked last week for the whole match. But then comes the 50 on the siren to bring it level.

Can't really blame Groves. Birch (or a better name is Bitch) was really disrespectful to the club she played in a flag with with. She bagged the club in her comments at half time and then had another swipe at them after the game. Fair enough she left, but you need to show some respect to your former teammates. Groves was just sticking up for himself.
I don't think what Birch said was any more disrespectful than what Hannah Scott was quoted as saying in an article on the AFLW website two weeks ago though.

Stanton injury or Tigers goalless quarter, not sure which is the bigger concern.

Richmond clearly in front on total disposals (especially uncontested) and slightly ahead on I50s. Only two goals to show for it would be disappointing against an established team (albeit understandable), but against the Suns?

To follow up on the disposal count, the most for a whole game at AFLW level is 270 (Melbourne's 54-point win in R7 2017) and Richmond had 134 touches in the first half just gone.

To say Brancatisano needed to convert that last shot...

This is one of the reason the game lacks as a spectacle, it's easy to tell when it's game over. When teams score 2-5 goals for the match the Tigers are only down by 16 pts but are no hope going into the last. This is a common trend in most games, couple goals up and you may as well turn off.
That's a stretch, I'd rate Richmond's chances of a comeback here higher than the average men's team down 3 goals at 3QT. Suns will surely have the heavier legs in the 4th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To say Brancatisano needed to convert that last shot...

That's a stretch, I'd rate Richmond's chances of a comeback here higher than the average men's team down 3 goals at 3QT. Suns will surely have the heavier legs in the 4th.
Its an observation across multiple games (seasons to be fair). When the threat of scoring at any given play isn't high, the excitement of the contest and result is lacking.

The endeavour is good, but the result needs to be undecided for the game to be exciting.

Its an observation across multiple games (seasons to be fair). When the threat of scoring at any given play isn't high, the excitement of the contest and result is lacking.

The endeavour is good, but the result needs to be undecided for the game to be exciting.
Yes I agree, matches decided by three-quarter-time aren't exciting. But this one was clearly still alive well into the 4th and I honestly did find it exciting. You might've also observed Bernardi botched at least 3 goal chances in the last quarter that she'd usually capitalise on, might be harsh to say but she pretty much cost Richmond the game.

Yes I agree, matches decided by three-quarter-time aren't exciting. But this one was clearly still alive well into the 4th and I honestly did find it exciting. You might've also observed Bernardi botched at least 3 goal chances in the last quarter that she'd usually capitalise on, might be harsh to say but she pretty much cost Richmond the game.
The Tigers have scored 4 goals across 8 quarters(7 at the time of posting), they weren't suddenly scoring 3 to win in the last. I do wonder if less players on the field and slightly, slightly smaller boundaries might make the threat of scoring higher at any given moment and thus a bit more exciting.

Bowers doesn't mind a tackle. Dunno what the record is in AFLW for tackles per game but she must be some sort of chance.

Is their anywhere you can see the in game stats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back