Round 2 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

The Tigers have scored 4 goals across 8 quarters(7 at the time of posting), they weren't suddenly scoring 3 to win in the last. I do wonder if less players on the field and slightly, slightly smaller boundaries might make the threat of scoring higher at any given moment and thus a bit more exciting.
Yes they had 4 scoring shots for the whole of last week's match (at 50% accuracy), and then managed 5 scoring shots in the last quarter today.

They already play 16-a-side. Need not wonder about ground size, I posted the numbers in the Round 1 thread. Data to date suggests bigger scores on bigger grounds if anything.

Anyone know what the pitch invaders sign said?

I still have faith we beat Collingwood from here in a grand final.

Had Freo top 2 in the conference before the season and they still seem likely - West Coast are streets behind and will take time to get anything to gel by the looks of things.

Always enjoy watching Bowers, but gee wouldn't you like to see more of Roux dominating up forward...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had Freo top 2 in the conference before the season and they still seem likely - West Coast are streets behind and will take time to get anything to gel by the looks of things.

Always enjoy watching Bowers, but gee wouldn't you like to see more of Roux dominating up forward...

Im just excited to even have a forward line!

Houghton was even better than last week, and Duffy quieter. So could see rotation of the top guns up forward. Hopefully Roux keeps on improving. Such a talent!

That was impressive by the Dockers. Apart from Bowers and O'Sullivan no real standouts. Just a disciplined, well drilled team effort. I have to say Ebony Antonio showed a bit today. She has been ordinary the last year or two. Bulked up too much in my sublime, uncontestable view.
And as an aside, does Ruby Roux like herself too much?

Reckon there's gonna be a fair few reprimands if not weeks handed out by the MRO for Freo and the Eagles unfortunately.

It's been a peculiar stats day, this last match was way down there for total combined disposals, and no team has kicked 60 (or even 50) points off 159 disposals until now (and at a quick glance, looks like it was the third-fewest possessions by a winning team in AFLW history).

If the Dockers can maintain that pressure and continue to get an even spread of contributors against the better teams, best believe they're headed to a grand final. Seems like a very demanding style on the players though so if they knock off Collingwood next week to go 3-0, might the following three weeks (StK, Bris, WB) be somewhat managed to avoid a repeat of 2019's burnout?

I have to say Ebony Antonio showed a bit today. She has been ordinary the last year or two. Bulked up too much in my sublime, uncontestable view.
That's weird to me, seems to be chipping in casually at the moment (which is fine while they're smashing teams) whereas I thought her AA exclusion last year was an outrage.

Freo for the AFLW Flag & Roux to win a AFLW B&F in 2-3 seasons. Gun

My 5 yr ols daughter had a great day and got a signed footy from one of the girls after the game as well! (#27 - Chantelle Perera)

That’s what it’s all about - the future.

Reckon there's gonna be a fair few reprimands if not weeks handed out by the MRO for Freo and the Eagles unfortunately.

It's been a peculiar stats day, this last match was way down there for total combined disposals, and no team has kicked 60 (or even 50) points off 159 disposals until now (and at a quick glance, looks like it was the third-fewest possessions by a winning team in AFLW history).

If the Dockers can maintain that pressure and continue to get an even spread of contributors against the better teams, best believe they're headed to a grand final. Seems like a very demanding style on the players though so if they knock off Collingwood next week to go 3-0, might the following three weeks (StK, Bris, WB) be somewhat managed to avoid a repeat of 2019's burnout?

That's weird to me, seems to be chipping in casually at the moment (which is fine while they're smashing teams) whereas I thought her AA exclusion last year was an outrage.
I am not sure about that. I loved her (in fact my favourite in that Melb-Foots all stars game at the MCG when she mopped up across half-back) but she has gone off the boil. If Ebony gets back to her best the Dockers will go close to taking the flag.

Decent game. Eagles will be fine once they gel. Good effort by both sides - difference was in the polish

I think the eagles will be a tough side in WA and struggle away in year 1. A few years of getting the number 1 Young WA talents will improve them very fast and no doubt they will work hard to get some good expats and talented mature agents across to Perth to speed up the process.

I think the eagles will be a tough side in WA and struggle away in year 1. A few years of getting the number 1 Young WA talents will improve them very fast and no doubt they will work hard to get some good expats and talented mature agents across to Perth to speed up the process.
Got a feeling that they will get Randall next year, which will be a massive signing.

They could poach another 2-3 dockers as well and West Coast next year will be a lot more competitive.

Chelsea Randall is reportedly on a two-year contract fwiw so if the Eagles want her, which of course they do, it'll be no sooner than the 2022 season.

Just saw the scuffle from the Derby. What was the Freo girl thinking? Did she think she could get a free kick after the siren?

It was great to see how animated the Eagles player was. I feel the competition is lacking true rivalries and characters at the moment. All the players have the same “happy to be there” attitude and it makes for a really sterile environment.

There’s a mantle for the first AFLW villain waiting to be taken. We’ve got the hero in Daisy Pearce but we need a counterpart to get people passionate about these games.

It’d be the best way to get people invested in the game while the skills aren’t where they need to be.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that mantle has already been taken by Katie Brennan, the captain of your club's AFLW team. Quite strange given the league's 3 or 4 dirtiest players are far more deserving of scorn but go relatively unnoticed.

And Daisy seems to be highly polarising at best, the media attention she gets clouds a lot of people's judgment.

Perhaps you would've enjoyed the game on Friday night. There was clearly a lot of feeling whenever Birch, number 9 for Melbourne, was tackled (crunched might be more accurate) by her former teammates.

Chelsea Randall is reportedly on a two-year contract fwiw so if the Eagles want her, which of course they do, it'll be no sooner than the 2022 season.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that mantle has already been taken by Katie Brennan, the captain of your club's AFLW team. Quite strange given the league's 3 or 4 dirtiest players are far more deserving of scorn but go relatively unnoticed.

And Daisy seems to be highly polarising at best, the media attention she gets clouds a lot of people's judgment.

Perhaps you would've enjoyed the game on Friday night. There was clearly a lot of feeling whenever Birch, number 9 for Melbourne, was tackled (crunched might be more accurate) by her former teammates.

Yeah, I’d agree with you that Katie Brennan probably is the closest thing we have to a villain but that’s still very tame. She’s more of a byproduct of expansion and the fact her team will be poor this year doesn’t really help the cause in stirring up fans.

I did catch some of the Friday night game and the tackling was good, just needs to be more of it.

I guess this stems from my main point of view that the women’s game shouldn’t try to exactly copy the men’s game. Just because Richmond and Carlton have a rivalry in the men’s comp, why should the women care about that? At the moment there seems to be faux-rivalries instead of the media playing into the personalities of these players and making their own authentic rivalries. Just because the men are stiff robots doesn’t mean the women need to be.

Yeah, I’d agree with you that Katie Brennan probably is the closest thing we have to a villain but that’s still very tame. She’s more of a byproduct of expansion and the fact her team will be poor this year doesn’t really help the cause in stirring up fans.

I did catch some of the Friday night game and the tackling was good, just needs to be more of it.

I guess this stems from my main point of view that the women’s game shouldn’t try to exactly copy the men’s game. Just because Richmond and Carlton have a rivalry in the men’s comp, why should the women care about that? At the moment there seems to be faux-rivalries instead of the media playing into the personalities of these players and making their own authentic rivalries. Just because the men are stiff robots doesn’t mean the women need to be.
Oh I'm confident expansion is a fraction of the reason behind so many people's hate-boner for Brennan though.

I don't recall a rivalry between the Richmond and Carlton women's teams being talked about. Having them play each other in R1 just made sense because the Tigers would draw a few people and the Blues had the ground to accommodate them (but it didn't need to be the very first game of the season imo).

Agree that the media can be pretty slow on the draw. For example, the captains exchanging pleasantries throughout yesterday's match in Tassie: none of the commentators even mentioned their history as VWFL team mates. Leigh Montagna at least noted Emma Kearney is infamously "chatty" on the field, Bec Goddard might've been an understandably unaware "interstater" in that instance, so that leaves Kelli can't-tell-s**t-from-shinola Underwood to pick up the slack... good luck!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back