Round 2 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think so. The rushed is an illegal play so isn't worth anything.
Had a very quick look at the laws of the game and it doesn't specifically say do/don't pay a behind in that instance, so I'll take your word for it! I've never really thought about it before because it rarely happens and matters even less (but could be crucial today).

What is the rule in the AFLW? When Goldrick stuffed up in our first match against your mob, the commentators said she could have rushed it behind. I assumed it was because she was under pressure?
Yeah same deal as the men's rules in that case, ok as long as you're under immediate physical pressure.

Had a very quick look at the laws of the game and it doesn't specifically say do/don't pay a behind in that instance, so I'll take your word for it! I've never really thought about it before because it rarely happens and matters even less (but could be crucial today).

Yeah same deal as the men's rules in that case, ok as long as you're under immediate physical pressure.

Yeah the rules don't shed much light.

For an example, no point paid here

A few loose forwards at both 50 m zones. Maybe some fatigue setting in.

But another good quarter, and a tight, interesting contest.

Last edited:
Well at least we now know there's one matchup worse than Dayna Cox on Caitlin Greiser, and that would be wide open space on Caitlin Greiser.

Just assuming the Crows are going to run over the top here, based on absolutely nothing that has been shown today.

Heavy head knock there for Fitzpatrick. Hope she is OK.

Game paused after a few frantic moments. Result is still wide open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brave fight from the Saints, but the Crows just had too much class in the last 5 minutes. The score blew out, it doesn't really reflect how close Saints got to their first win.

Some experienced players who had relatively quiet games by their standards, such as Marinoff and Gum stood up and got a lot of work done in the last quarter. Hatchard of course was strong. But the pleasing thing for Crows fans was the form of their new players, with Gould a stand out.

Saints still look good. Patrikios looks amazing, but the team as a whole is playing a good style. They will get there with a bit more experience.

That was one heck of a round. A lot of great games this week, and the games that were a bit one sided at least saw some very slick play from Freemantle, North and the Dees. With Adelaide and North Melbourne bouncing back, and even the expansion newbies Gold Coast and St Kilda looking good, it looks like a wide open contest, and teams that win have to earn it with great football. Loving it!

Very entertaining game to finish the weekend, couldn't ask for more from the Saints apart from handling the dying minutes a bit better. The team Adelaide put on the park obviously shouldn't be getting pushed so deep, but they picked up a win without injuries so that's the two major boxes ticked right there. The rest can be worked on as the season progresses (although I suspect they're not gonna love playing Geelong next week, unless Phillips is back).

Tayla Harris has talent, but she'll never fulfil her potential playing 8 games a year and boxing for the rest. She needs to play a couple seasons of VFLW, in the cold wet Melbourne winter, and develop a few more strings to her bow.

With the pressure Carltons midfield was under yesterday, and the lack of movement from their forward line, she was never going to get many opportunities to fly for marks with the ball in front of her. As much as the "Useless" comment was probably a little bit OTT for a post match interview, it was pretty close to accurate on the day.

Goal of the Year nominees
Gee wiz who picks these...

...a lot of ones this weekend more deserving than McCarthy's at least. The goal Biddell kicked in the same game after the build-up by Newman, for instance. Maybe they can't nominate Adelaide players anymore because their supporters ruined it last week by robbing Cranston.

Attendance
67,020 spectators showed up over the weekend according to match reports on womens.afl, although the AFLW twitter account says 67,018...? Either way it set a new record for the league, and the 35k that turned up to the Derby was the second biggest crowd for a H&A game.

MRO
Paxman (Melb) offered a reprimand. Grieve (Frem) offered a reprimand. Gibson (WC), Rankin (Geel), Bonnici (Coll) and Jones (Adel) offered a reprimand. *oprah.jpg*Everybody gets a reprimand!

Ladder

Rising Star

AFLCA Champ - Leaderboard
20. Jaimee Lambert (COLL)
17. Kiara Bowers (FRE)
15. Jamie Stanton (GCFC)
12. Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
11. Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
Round 2 votes here

Mark of the Year
More strange choices. An easy win for Gum here one would think, would've been tough to go past Fitzpatrick's if it had been paid though.

Mark of the Year
More strange choices. An easy win for Gum here one would think, would've been tough to go past Fitzpatrick's if it had been paid though.
I preferred Sabrinas myself

I preferred Sabrinas myself
I reckon it demonstrated the kinda form she is(n't) in. Without exaggeration, she took seven carbon copies of those back in R1 2018, except cleaner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back