Round 2 Discussion (dedicated to Hai_Newman)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon believes Christian Petracca has a long way to go to prove he’s worthy of the hype.
Petracca has played 65 games for the Demons, but is yet to take the next step and Lyon wants to see more.

“He’s had enough opportunity, he was targeted 14 times (against Geelong). Petracca was the primary inside 50 target on the weekend,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.
“He didn’t score. He’s got enormous work to do.

“I keep hearing people saying what a great player, what a great talent – he is not a great player. He is a great talent. He’s a mile off it.”

The Dees suffered an 80-point thrashing at the hands of Geelong on the weekend and former St Kilda star forward Nick Riewoldt believes his issue is at a fundamental level.

“I don’t see any craft in his game. What I mean is, when you’re a forward you’ve got someone playing on you consistently trying to stop you getting a kick,” Riewoldt said.

“Now if you’re fast and he’s fast, you’re essentially playing athletics. Defenders now are so good at being able to go with you step for step and getting in a fist.

“You have to try and create some separation for yourself somehow and this is where the craft comes in.
“There are so many ways to create that separation. You can try and get in behind the defender to make him turn his head and then come back at the ball.

“You can stand and push and give yourself a meter with a push-lead, I don’t see any of that from Christian Petracca. What I see is, he’s always been the bigger kid and he’s always been more talented and he’s going to beat you on talent.

“There is an opportunity for him to take his game to another level by implementing some forward craft into his game.”
Melbourne takes on Essendon on Friday night in a game between two winless teams, with the pressure mounting fast on both clubs.

Former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon believes Christian Petracca has a long way to go to prove he’s worthy of the hype.
Petracca has played 65 games for the Demons, but is yet to take the next step and Lyon wants to see more.

“He’s had enough opportunity, he was targeted 14 times (against Geelong). Petracca was the primary inside 50 target on the weekend,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.
“He didn’t score. He’s got enormous work to do.

“I keep hearing people saying what a great player, what a great talent – he is not a great player. He is a great talent. He’s a mile off it.”

The Dees suffered an 80-point thrashing at the hands of Geelong on the weekend and former St Kilda star forward Nick Riewoldt believes his issue is at a fundamental level.

“I don’t see any craft in his game. What I mean is, when you’re a forward you’ve got someone playing on you consistently trying to stop you getting a kick,” Riewoldt said.

“Now if you’re fast and he’s fast, you’re essentially playing athletics. Defenders now are so good at being able to go with you step for step and getting in a fist.

“You have to try and create some separation for yourself somehow and this is where the craft comes in.
“There are so many ways to create that separation. You can try and get in behind the defender to make him turn his head and then come back at the ball.

“You can stand and push and give yourself a meter with a push-lead, I don’t see any of that from Christian Petracca. What I see is, he’s always been the bigger kid and he’s always been more talented and he’s going to beat you on talent.

“There is an opportunity for him to take his game to another level by implementing some forward craft into his game.”
Melbourne takes on Essendon on Friday night in a game between two winless teams, with the pressure mounting fast on both clubs.

Petracca has always looked like he has "heavy legs" to me. He has size and power through the hips, but lacks genuine pace, stamina and is not a marking threat. He should be like a De Goey but right now he feels more like a Stuart Crameri.

Petracca has always looked like he has "heavy legs" to me. He has size and power through the hips, but lacks genuine pace, stamina and is not a marking threat. He should be like a De Goey but right now he feels more like a Stuart Crameri.
He just appears to have levelled off to a standard he's happy with ......Leigh Matthews had big thighs too, but he had the aggression Petracca lacks

You're right though ....De Goey has gone right past him

He wishes he was as good a crameri lol

Anyway why are we talking about shittrucca. He has no relevance here

He just appears to have levelled off to a standard he's happy with ......Leigh Matthews had big thighs too, but he had the aggression Petracca lacks

You're right though ....De Goey has gone right past him

De Goey has an explosive leap that Flattrack will never have. You can't teach vertical leap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca should have that "un-tackleable" tag Dusty had .....but he plays like an 80kg player

Size doesn't always equal genuine strength. The size that was an asset in Jnrs is his weakness now. He needs to either hit the weights hard and be a brick shithouse FP or lose weight and work on his endurance to be a Mid/HF. Right now he's neither and borderline best 22.

Size doesn't always equal genuine strength. The size that was an asset in Jnrs is his weakness now. He needs to either hit the weights hard and be a brick shithouse FP or lose weight and work on his endurance to be a Mid/HF. Right now he's neither and borderline best 22.

Trade u Parish for him lol.

so what your saying is he should be traded from my sc team?

Balta(And Garthwaite) had strong performances down back in Richmond’s VFL side over the weekend. Rance done for the season and Grimes out suspended this week opens the door for one, if not both, to return to Richmond’s line up this week

Im prob wrong but surely with JR out Balta plays fwd and pinch hits in the ruck now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back