Autopsy Round 2 - Fremantle win over the Bombers by 16 (should’ve been more)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, not even close. Freo have a bunch of hugely talented youngsters coming through the system together. We have the building blocks of a sustained period of success. Our kids ain't goin' anywhere! Cry me a river...
But.. but...but... Liam Ryan kicked 3 goals against a team with a non existent midfield, and a non existent defense!

Fred you have been saying that since Harley arrived at the club over 2 years ago and all he has played is reduced minutes in 2 games at AFL Level and hasn't played at game yet this year at any level. :thumbsu::rolleyes:

You were saying silly things to other training watches that Freo have been giving Harleu jabs so he can train.

I find this bizare and laughable

Gaff .. pun?... anyway who's this Bradshaw guy you keep harping on about?... is he as good as that brayshaw kid we got?

Bloody autocorrect.

For mine I prefer Wilson. Agree that Duff was faultless but Wilson’s kicking is so aggressive. Duff would hit the target, Wilson creates the target.

I agree that he is a far more aggressive defender but you will need to also accept a much greater degree of miss kicks. They are just different.

But, the main point is you can't have too many good kicks in your backline and we are finally getting to that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamling and Pearce down back will account for the big marking forwards for us for a long time. Hopefully Logue develops into a Johnson replacement, and maybe Kersten being groomed as another 3rd tall depth player? Cox perhaps as KPD backup?

I think the Essendon coaching staff didn’t respect us. Zac Merrett didn’t know Banfields name in an interview post match. Imagine being a coaching panel and not having your players aware of their opposition. Mind you it says as much about Merrett as it does the coaching panel. I would think you do some forward scouting; Banfield a tagger all of 2017 at Claremont. Defensive half forward in JLT. Not a surprise he was thrown a challenge.

Duffield and Roger were good, but heath black around 05/06 was awesome off the half back line.

I do believe Wilson has the ability and surprisingly enough THE PASSION for the game to be better than all three.
I can’t let that one go past the keeper.
Black had a long kick, but he turned it over WAY more than Hayden (equal best back pocket I’ve seen with Rod Barrett - shows my age) & Duffield who was the most precise kick I’ve seen at Freo.
Back to the game & I reckon Pearce’s game has been understated a tad as he took the opposition’s best forward & dominated him, allowing Hamling to take the 2nd best tall forward, which took a lot of pressure of him, unlike last year, & he too blossomed.
Another point about the backline, was the impressive defensive work by Wilson, who has been lauded for his attack, but some of his defensive work was inspired.

For those who have spent a lot of time bickering or bemoaning we're going backwards - last year we had at this stage kicked a combined 18 goals in 2 losses. This year we have kicked 25 in 1 win, 1 loss. Last year Port kicked 22 goals on us. Even though we played pretty dog poops, we still 'restricted' it to just 16 this year (I know, I know - a loss is still a loss, etc..).

This time last year no Freo player had kicked multiple goals in any of the 2 games/losses. Taberner did not play. He already has 5, with 4 being kicked on Sat night. Sat night we had 4 multiple goal kickers - with Cerra (on debut!), Mundy and Langdon complimenting Tabs excellent effort.

Langdon has kicked 3 goals in his 2 games. Last year he only had the 1 at this stage.....there's a definite upside occurring and although we still will have some inconsistencies, we already look capable of scoring more and from more sources than we were showing 12 months ago. Ball movement is getting cleaner, a bit more adventurous and the pressure is getting better; the midfield has youth and grunt in it again and the ability to move the ball quicker through the defense to midfield and up forward is starting to show promising signs and already materialising.

Probably should have posted this in the Ross The Boss thread where all the mayhem seems to have ensued since Round 1, but it's clear just from goals alone that we're improving as season 2018 unfolds. I'm enjoying the challenge the club faces and I think season 2018 will hold some surprises, probably more than the last 2 seasons combined. Bring on the GC and let's play with that ferocity and intent and get the crowd going again!

Have a great day everyone :)

I used to call what Duffield did the fighter pilot role. The ability to take the most difficult, high risk strategy and execute with pinpoint precision. His kicking was inspired and made us a far better team. He did lack a little in his defensive efforts at times & was sometimes perceived as a bit soft which is where Wilson has him covered. Wilson is hard as a cats head and daring. I loved when he ran around MacDonald Tippasomething.

For those who have spent a lot of time bickering or bemoaning we're going backwards - last year we had at this stage kicked a combined 18 goals in 2 losses. This year we have kicked 25 in 1 win, 1 loss. Last year Port kicked 22 goals on us. Even though we played pretty dog poops, we still 'restricted' it to just 16 this year (I know, I know - a loss is still a loss, etc..).
those bemoaning said going backwards were doing so after Rd 1 when we had similarly uninspired team selection as last year.
last year we had the same team selected for Rd 2 while his year change was made after only 1 round with inspired results.
it seems blindingly obvious what the way forward is.

those bemoaning said going backwards were doing so after Rd 1 when we had similarly uninspired team selection as last year.
last year we had the same team selected for Rd 2 while his year change was made after only 1 round with inspired results.
it seems blindingly obvious what the way forward is.

Yes - although I think the fact that our leaders (which were identical from R1 to R2) stepped up against lesser opposition can't be excluded from the analysis. The impact of this on the bottom half of the playing squad is profound.

That said, I hope DP and Sutcliffe remain at Peel until the inevitable happens at the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back