Preview Round 2: Freo vs Essendon (5:10PM Saturday)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tucker was virtually non-existent vs. Port. Not unforeseen, but the lad just needs to find more of it.

And he was poor in 2 of our 3 praccies, which is why I called his omission a few days ago. Not happy about it, but dominating for Peel for a few weeks will hopefully prove beneficial in the long run. Would rather Tucker get the axe over Banfield or Brayshaw anyway.

Our team from Rnd23 that got within 15pts at Eithad.

Hughes
- Hamling - Collins
Weller
- Johnson - Ryan
S Hill - Neale - B Hill
Sutcliffe - Tabs - Crozier
Ballas - Kersten - Suban

Griff - Fyfe - Mundy

Bennell - Cox - Sherro - Tucker

Some pretty big In's:

Ryan - Hamling - Johnson
Wilson - APearce - Blakely
S Hill - Neale - B Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Matera
Crowden
- Tabs - Ballas

Sandi - Fyfe - Mundy

Brayshaw - Cerra - Langdon - Banfield

Our team from Rnd23 that got within 15pts at Eithad.

Hughes
- Hamling - Collins
Weller
- Johnson - Ryan
S Hill - Neale - B Hill
Sutcliffe - Tabs - Crozier
Ballas - Kersten - Suban

Griff - Fyfe - Mundy

Bennell - Cox - Sherro - Tucker

Some pretty big In's:

Ryan - Hamling - Johnson
Wilson - APearce - Blakely
S Hill - Neale - B Hill
Walters - McCarthy - Matera
Crowden
- Tabs - Ballas

Sandi - Fyfe - Mundy

Brayshaw - Cerra - Langdon - Banfield
That's great to see. This weekend's squad looks stronger.

Tucker really needs to be able to play different roles if he wants a spot atm. At the moment I can see him only on a wing. Doesn't seem to have the defensive edge or marking ability to play up forward. He could play off half back maybe but he hasn't really been tried there so you got to say RTB doesn't rate him there.

That leaves the wing and to make it there he needs to find plenty of the ball. At the moment he hasn't shown he's capable of finding the ball enough. I was excited by preseason reports that he was looking good and I was hoping the extra fitness would help him find more ball.

Hopefully at Peel he plays inside and gains confidence winning his own ball. He's mentioned he needs to improve contested ball and at Peel is probably the best place for that. He should rack up 35+ touches and hopefully will force his way back in. The wing is a tough gig tho with the Hills, Langdon and the kids getting eased into AFL playing there.

Tucker is clean inside and outside the contest. We need players like Tucker reaching their potential and hopefully this run at Peel helps him improve the areas that need development. Still think he's capable of breaking out this year if things go to plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tucker really needs to be able to play different roles if he wants a spot atm. At the moment I can see him only on a wing. Doesn't seem to have the defensive edge or marking ability to play up forward. He could play off half back maybe but he hasn't really been tried there so you got to say RTB doesn't rate him there.

That leaves the wing and to make it there he needs to find plenty of the ball. At the moment he hasn't shown he's capable of finding the ball enough. I was excited by preseason reports that he was looking good and I was hoping the extra fitness would help him find more ball.

Hopefully at Peel he plays inside and gains confidence winning his own ball. He's mentioned he needs to improve contested ball and at Peel is probably the best place for that. He should rack up 35+ touches and hopefully will force his way back in. The wing is a tough gig tho with the Hills, Langdon and the kids getting eased into AFL playing there.

Tucker is clean inside and outside the contest. We need players like Tucker reaching their potential and hopefully this run at Peel helps him improve the areas that need development. Still think he's capable of breaking out this year if things go to plan.

You make some great points

He was always regarded as a hbf

I believe he will become a goid player when he finds himself a spot in one of his best suited positions

We have a good record against Essendon, especially at home....prior to Round 23 last year we'd knocked them off 4 out of that last 5 times.

Hoping the changes will galvanise belief back in the team. They need to respond but also find an avenue to goal that doesn't rely on solely bombing the ball in and trying to lock in with repeat entries. Teams with good rebound and strategic corridor movement have left us with big holes to plug - ala the Port game and when we're chasing them like shadows we usually crumble. Need to be strong mentally and get more physical/hungry/aggressive, but also smarter with ball in hand. Hit the scoreboard fast and often (easy to put into words I know!). 15 scoring shots for an entire game isn't good enough these days (unless they're all goals!).

Essendon are a strong team at the mo and looking to go deep in the Finals. They'd fancy themselves to finish in the top 6, so they'll be looking to kick us whilst we're down - we need to respond. Show some grit and mettle. The stadium should look amazing at night and the Purple might lift the team to perform. Some more debutants and an opportunity for guys like A.Pearce/Hamling/Wilson/Ryan to get more used to playing alongside each other as the team looks to improve across the park.

No predictions from me - just want the contest to be solid and see us kick more than 10 goals would be nice. A win, more than handy ;)

You make some great points

He was always regarded as a hbf

I believe he will become a goid player when he finds himself a spot in one of his best suited positions

He was actually a mid coming up through juniors. Was only played at HB during his last year of 18's because he was getting tagged out of the game in the midfield as he was considered one of the most damaging midfielders as a 16 and 17 yo.

Last time they played in Melbourne

Essendon INS: Michael Hurley, Cale Hooker, Adam Saad, Mitch Brown, Jake Stringer, Devon Smith, Matt Dea, Josh Green, Kyle Langford

Essendon Outs: Heath Hocking, Jayden Laverde, Mark Baguley, Martin Gleeson, James Kelly, Jobe Watson, Patrick Ambrose, Travis Colyer, David Myers

Fremantle INS: Nathan Wilson, Alex Pearce, Ed Langdon, Connor Blakely, Michael Walters, Cam McCarthy, Brandon Matera, Aaron Sandilands, Adam Cerra, Andrew Brayshaw, Mitchell Crowden, Bailey Bandfield

Fremantle OUTS: Jonothan Griffen, Lachie Weller, Hayden Crozier, Tom Sheriden, Sam Collins, Harley Bennell, Ethan Hughes, Darcy Tucker, Nick Suban, Brennan Cox, Cameron Sutcliff, Shane Kerstan

Great preview Rash but I'll disagree
we're coming to get you, as you will soon see.
Arriving in planes, cars maybe bus, by the end of the game you'll be sure sick of us.
We're coming to conquer, hand you a loss, driving the first nail. in the coffin of Ross.
So keep your hopes high as we warm up the pot, and hand out a belting, then we'll be off.

They have an average midfield. If our midfield can't dominate the contest in the middle then we need to restart the rebuild.

Just can't see where our goals are going to come from though.

Looking forward to seeing the 4 newbies. S Hill and Hamling back in the side is a big plus. Hopefully Fyfe - Neale - Mundy can put in a worthy performance.

They have an average midfield. If our midfield can't dominate the contest in the middle then we need to restart the rebuild.

Just can't see where our goals are going to come from though.

Looking forward to seeing the 4 newbies. S Hill and Hamling back in the side is a big plus. Hopefully Fyfe - Neale - Mundy can put in a worthy performance.
Our midfield is a proud group so I am betting (hoping?) that they bounce back. Winning stoppages should hopefully release some of these awesome kicks we now have to do their stuff.
One of the great things about some of the newer guys is that they haven't been programmed over the years to kick long to the hot spot so they might be a bit better at lowering their eyes and hitting a lead up player. If that happens then guys like Ballas might come in to the game a little more.

Great preview Rash but I'll disagree
we're coming to get you, as you will soon see.
Arriving in planes, cars maybe bus, by the end of the game you'll be sure sick of us.
We're coming to conquer, hand you a loss, driving the first nail. in the coffin of Ross.
So keep your hopes high as we warm up the pot, and hand out a belting, then we'll be off.

Good post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back