Preview Round 2 - Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions Friday, 26th March GMHBA 6.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as changes go I don't know how we expected kids who played under 10 games to perform ok on Saturday when most of our star players were missing.

Fullarton wasn't that bad. He got a bit overawed when we were getting towelled up.

I'm not sure Fullarton is suited to the role he's playing now. Seems pretty clueless in marking and tucking contests. Good below his knees and in traffic but there are other options.

With the new rule change it looks to me that leg speed and quick ball movement are going to be game changers this year,and both GC and Sydney have used it to great effect against us already. Watching the Swans just killing us through the centre corridor and into the forward 50 really showed up our lack of pace in the midfield and defence. I don’t know if we have the players to turn this around but hopefully the coaches can come up with some answers quickly.

If you can move the ball fast then harder for a wall so more scoring. So far we seen teams who use the rule well do well.
Not sure a slow defence with Lester, Rich and Birchall with fast movement will suit.
Harris and Ah Chee not too fast as well.
Payne and Starc be the fastest of the defence.
Our mids not super fast as well. Prob why we tried Charlie and Bailey in there.

I'm not sure Fullarton is suited to the role he's playing now. Seems pretty clueless in marking and tucking contests. Good below his knees and in traffic but there are other options.
Maybe. I don't think it's Ballenden.

I'm not reading anything conclusive into what was his third game. His rucking efforts were poor on this occasion though. Seemed a little lost out there. It's a big ask when you're his size and fourth in line in the forward line and don't have a lot of experience rucking.

Our midfield was not as good as we would have expected. I am being generous.
I had a look at TOG for the guys in the midfield compared to last years average
With the reduction of interchange to 75 i expected the TOG to be slightly higher especially for our more experienced players.
Oscar's TOG for 2020 was a mixture of 1st & 2nd ruck so it should have defiantly increased this year
I have said previously that Oscar needed to get TPG to a minimum of 85%. Elite rucks like Gawn & Grundy are 90% plus
Neale had an interrupted preseason so expected his TOG to drop a little but that should mean Lyons, Zorko & co. should have taken up the difference
Sharp is included but Stef from 2020 of course is not
I expect Neale will get back to normal TOG in the next 3 weeks
McCluggage had the most TOG but only 1.32% more than 2020 average, and put in a below par game so that did not help either

Edit: Reduced game time in 2019 as Dalions mentioned
So added 2019 for Neale, Zorko, Lyons & Robbo
Oscar/McCarthy different role. McCluggage & Berry in 3rd year and Baily 2nd so not mentioned

Player
Round One TOG %
Average % TOG 2020
Oscar
80​
Neale
84​
92.26 (88.79% in 2019)
Zorko
82​
80.29 (83.33% in 2019)
McCarthy
82​
Sharp
81​
N/A
Lyons
80​
83.53 (79.83% in 2019)
Berry
78​
Bailey
76​
Robinson
73​
79.32 (81.3% in 2019)
McCluggage
86 (R1)
84.68 (Aver 2020)

Last edited:
I was able to secure 6 tickets. I'm taking three Geelong supporters and 2 neutrals with me unfortunately.
Meanwhile i have 10 lions membership holders who miss out, I mean good luck to you but this is exactly why the system is ****ed

Meanwhile i have 10 lions membership holders who miss out, I mean good luck to you but this is exactly why the system is f’ed

Each Victorian member was able to secure 6 tickets pending availability. I waited in the queue for 30 mins prior and got access at 10:01am. I didn't realise there was a queue system setup beforehand, so if that improved my access to tickets that was just dumb luck.

What time did you try to get on and get tickets?

Our midfield was not as good as we would have expected. I am being generous.
I had a look at TOG for the guys in the midfield compared to last years average
With the reduction of interchange to 75 i expected the TOG to be slightly higher especially for our more experienced players.
Oscar's TOG for 2020 was a mixture of 1st & 2nd ruck so it should have defiantly increased this year
I have said previously that Oscar needed to get TPG to a minimum of 85%. Elite rucks like Gawn & Grundy are 90% plus
Neale had an interrupted preseason so expected his TOG to drop a little but that should mean Lyons, Zorko & co. should have taken up the difference
Sharp is included but Stef from 2020 of course is not
I expect Neale will get back to normal TOG in the next 3 weeks
McCluggage had the most TOG but only 1.32% more than 2020 average, and put in a below par game so that did not help either

Player
Round One TOG %
Average % TOG 2020
Oscar
80​
Neale
84​
Zorko
82​
McCarthy
82​
Sharp
81​
N/A
Lyons
80​
Berry
78​
Bailey
76​
Robinson
73​
McCluggage
86 (R1)
84.68 (Aver 2020)
Average percentage of time on ground might be down a bit but I am sure the average minutes on ground is up.

Each Victorian member was able to secure 6 tickets pending availability. I waited in the queue for 30 mins prior and got access at 10:01am. I didn't realise there was a queue system setup beforehand, so if that improved my access to tickets that was just dumb luck.

What time did you try to get on and get tickets?
Maybe 5 past 10

Also missed out on tickets which is disappointing. It is frustrating to hear that non lions members will be in the bay allocated to lions members, but when members are allocated 6 tickets that’s bound to happen. A more appropriate setup would see more tickets available specifically to members to ensure there is at least some Brisbane Lions fans at away games.

Maybe 5 past 10

Unfortunately you needed to get in right on 10:00am (or before) to give yourself the best chance of securing these tickets as they were bound to be snapped up almost instantly.

Admittedly, I thought it was strange that we had the opportunity to snap up 6. But it is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the new rule change it looks to me that leg speed and quick ball movement are going to be game changers this year,and both GC and Sydney have used it to great effect against us already. Watching the Swans just killing us through the centre corridor and into the forward 50 really showed up our lack of pace in the midfield and defence. I don’t know if we have the players to turn this around but hopefully the coaches can come up with some answers quickly.
If you can move the ball fast then harder for a wall so more scoring. So far we seen teams who use the rule well do well.
Not sure a slow defence with Lester, Rich and Birchall with fast movement will suit.
Harris and Ah Chee not too fast as well.
Payne and Starc be the fastest of the defence.
Our mids not super fast as well. Prob why we tried Charlie and Bailey in there.
Sounds like we really need Madden in our backline, since speed is his strength. Prior has some pace on him too.

Dont take my post as having a go at you, certainly not the case

Not at all mate, I think I agree that the allocation should have been more limited to Vic Lions members - I wasn't even required to enter my member number (just the code provided by the club in their latest email).

Apparently the AFL is pushing for larger crowd capacities so hopefully you won't be impacted for the rest of the season.

No luck for me. got a friend to go on for me using my barcode at 10am to get me one ticket as work commitments meant I couldn’t do it and no luck for me. I wonder what our allocation was? Did lions members get a specific area together? I hope the Lions supporters who got tickets have a great night. I was really looking forward to seeing the game even if I was by myself and surrounded by cats supporters - so a bit p...ed off.

I do wish the Melbourne office did a little bit of emailing to let us know the ins and outs of things are - I get more info re Brisbane games than Melbourne.

Last year after the Richmond game at metricon there was a big deal about us being the worst team for defending coast to coast. From that game - to the end of the year, pretty sure we became the best cooridore defense team in the league? We adjust in this area.

The whole leg speed thing is true - however, it is 90% attitudinal. We have the ability to defend between the arcs, we did it last year. The new rules help the attacking team slightly, but I'd hope and expect us to be much better in this area againts the cats.

The pressure rating was deplorable - ramp that up 30% and things change instantly.

Nothing's ever over at 0-2.

It's only over if we keep playing like last night.
Statistics say it will all but be over. Trust me, I hope it's not, but this game is do or die for the season. You lose this and you're going into a big primetime game against Collingwood 0-2 and with no confidence.

Fullerton got 8 disposals with 6 being effective. McStay had many games last year with less effective disposals or similar. The resting ruck, Stef and Oscar, also had games where they rarely got the ball. We cannot have two of our forwards that, week in week, out do not contribute.

I want to win a premiership so I want another dangerous forward. I want two more dangerous forwards. Fullerton can improve, given his age. Balladen, also, might surprise us all. McStay is, in my opinion, a step back to mediocracy and three years ago that's where we were.

Cannot get into the Geelong match unless I pay 340 for my wife and I to get into the Lion Hunters but I remember 1998 at Geelong when Acker came of age and we had a wonderful win. A great day was had by the Derrinalphil household standing on the wing.

Let's hope for the same.

Fullerton got 8 disposals with 6 being effective. McStay had many games last year with less effective disposals or similar. The resting ruck, Stef and Oscar, also had games where they rarely got the ball. We cannot have two of our forwards that, week in week, out do not contribute.

I want to win a premiership so I want another dangerous forward. I want two more dangerous forwards. Fullerton can improve, given his age. Balladen, also, might surprise us all. McStay is, in my opinion, a step back to mediocracy and three years ago that's where we were.

Cannot get into the Geelong match unless I pay 340 for my wife and I to get into the Lion Hunters but I remember 1998 at Geelong when Acker came of age and we had a wonderful win. A great day was had by the Derrinalphil household standing on the wing.

Let's hope for the same.

If you want possessions we could bring back Bradd Dalziell.

Statistics say it will all but be over. Trust me, I hope it's not, but this game is do or die for the season. You lose this and you're going into a big primetime game against Collingwood 0-2 and with no confidence.

I think it's just that probability of a poor team starting 0-2 is higher than a good team starting 0-2.

Still realistic to think both us and Geelong will play finals this year.

Managed to get 3 tickets and got into the queue at 9:45.

Really, really hope we turn up for this one.

Team changes -Sharp out, Ely smith in; Fullarton out, Matho/answerth in. Go smaller up forward and get some more run in the team.

If Noah is fit, he plays and Ah Chee rotates forward, otherwise play matho to increase mid rotations and rest a mid forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back