Preview Round 2 - Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions Friday, 26th March GMHBA 6.20pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I do agree with that and I am being a bit facetious about why Ely hasnt been selected. But at the same time I have been critical for a couple of years now that we havent rotated our players (Yes there is no point in rotating after week 1) or given some kids a good run in their preferred position (seeing Keays or even Mayes going back a while). We seem to have a huge amount of loyalty in selection, and I think its almost to the point of detrimental to the long term development of the team.
I agree, I have been saying the same thing. We need to look to both the immediate and the future and when a 50/50 selection call give youth a chance, and not just one or two games

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You're not making the top 4 if you're 0-3. You're making it really hard if you're 0-2. That's not me speaking, that's the History of the competition talking.
The table is basically set after 6/8 rounds with teams going to make finals and those not with some minor exceptions. Another ‘history of the competition’. Just something to keep an eye on.

Are we talking about Birchall or Robison? I think the general concenus here is that they are both out of form. Sharp is also too green. I also don't like the idea of us taking out a player who actually has pace. We need speed, and we're a slower team this week than we were last week.
I wouldn’t say that at all.
Tom Berry has some speed and also has some endurance. His running throughout the pre-season surprised me a little actually.
Was pushing his brother at one point early in the pre-season.
I don’t mind the selection because we were lacking forward pressure against Sydney. And that is what he does best.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
:jjamie15
The table is basically set after 6/8 rounds with teams going to make finals and those not with some minor exceptions. Another ‘history of the competition’. Just something to keep an eye on.
[/QUOTE]
Another good point. Also, if we're somehow 2-4 after 6 games, there is this unattainable pressure that will persist for the rest of the season. It will be: if we drop 1 game, we're out. There is a reason why the top 4 is always set by the end of 6-8 rounds, because those teams can afford to lose a game or 2 before the finals.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wouldn’t say that at all.
Tom Berry has some speed and also has some endurance. His running throughout the pre-season surprised me a little actually.
Was pushing his brother at one point early in the pre-season.
I don’t mind the selection because we were lacking forward pressure against Sydney. And that is what he does best.

The problem is, we are lacking defensive pressure as well. And Fagan didn't change that at all. Why change the forward pressure, but ignore another (equally important problem?)

The problem is, we are lacking defensive pressure as well. And Fagan didn't change that at all. Why change the forward pressure, but ignore another (equally important problem?)
If the pressure is up further up the ground, the defenders will not look so bad.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the pressure is up further up the ground, the defenders will not look so bad.
Like I said, it's a fine line drawn here. And there is a lot at risk. I hope it goes well this weekend, because it will be extremely hard to come back from here if we lose.

Like I said, it's a fine line drawn here. And there is a lot at risk. I hope it goes well this weekend, because it will be extremely hard to come back from here if we lose.
Everyone just needs to play their role.
That’s all.
Because they didn’t last week.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree, I have been saying the same thing. We need to look to both the immediate and the future and when a 50/50 selection call give youth a chance, and not just one or two games

We need a catchy slogan something like..

All we are saying
is give youf a chance

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
lack of speed in defence is a worry with Rohan as well.
I would of thought one of Birchall, Lester or AhChee would go for someone with speed.
Can understand T Berry for Coleman.
Although we still too slow back 6-7.
Interesting as well no Adams on the plane.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Must say I'm disappointed with the team selection. I think last week showed we need to be faster tracking back, and yet Tom Berry for Coleman is largely a wash in terms of speed. Birchall should have been dropped and Robbo has to be on thin ice at the moment. And I definitely think we need to see what Ely can do at the top level. Not sure what more that bloke has to do to get a game.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't mind the change, t berry for kiddy. Both have speed but tom is a better tackler and harder at the ball. If Answerth hadn't got suspended for 2 games after playing aspley I think he would have come into the team. Ely unlucky, thought he may have come in for sharp, they may want to get more game time into him (only played half a game last week then left to be an emergency). They must see some real potential in sharp. Good to see prior in as emergency and will be interesting to see who they pick as the injury sub. Reckon we will see a real attitude change this week and no better chance of a win at the cattery with, Dangerfield, Duncan and Cameron not playing.

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have a few head winds this season. 1. New rules which have made our last year game plan null in void.
2. A month shorter preseason which makes a big difference when considered on a % basis of a normal preseason.
3. Injuries to Cam Rayner and Darcy Gardiner. Previous seasons we have not really had any early season injuries.
4. A much harder draw because we were prelim finalists last year.
5. We have lost some depth (hinge, Martin, skinner, Eagles). All of whom played AFL football last year. Martin is better than just depth too.

Given the above I have realistic expectations for our 2021 season.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Right you are, he makes it to the emergencies.

If we lose, Fagan had better pull the trigger on a switchup. There's no room for loyalty when you're 0-2.
I'm confident we can turn it around tomorrow night but yer.... not necessarily a loss but another lack of intensity performance like against the Swans and I think Fages will swing the axe big time, 4-5 changes.

Only thing I can think of is need someone with experience and a level head down there given it'll be a parochial Geelong crowd. That's all I have.

I was going to expand on that and post his record down in Geelong. Turns out I get to post another crazier stat...

This is Grant Birchall's first ever game at Kardinia Park.

I was going to expand on that and post his record down in Geelong. Turns out I get to post another crazier stat...

This is Grant Birchall's first ever game at Kardinia Park.
It both makes sense and is completely amazing

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The problem is our season is practically on the line here. 0-2 is almost impossible to come back from. He's hedging his bets on a lot of players who shouldn't be there and if it backfires, then what? I love Fagan as much as the next person, but he's afraid to make big changes. I don't think he's ever done it as he usually sticks to his guns. I don't mind this, but you can't keep players in who are out of form. I hope it works out this weekend, but if we lose, he should face some of the blame for being too static with his selections.
Mate you need to have a listen to what Malcolm Blight had to say today on SEN. He said you learn far more from a loss in round 1 as you do a win. Round 2 is worth 4 points just like round one is. They went 0-4 one year and still won the flag! We need a month of footy first before we start to make big decisions. A lot of these boys have got it done for the last two years. Give them a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back