Preview Round 2 - Geelong Cats v Brisbane Lions Friday, 26th March GMHBA 6.20pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is our season is practically on the line here. 0-2 is almost impossible to come back from. He's hedging his bets on a lot of players who shouldn't be there and if it backfires, then what? I love Fagan as much as the next person, but he's afraid to make big changes. I don't think he's ever done it as he usually sticks to his guns. I don't mind this, but you can't keep players in who are out of form. I hope it works out this weekend, but if we lose, he should face some of the blame for being too static with his selections.
Not really. The reason few teams make finals from 0-2 is that they're bad teams who would have also missed finals if they'd won a gimme in round 1.

Mate you need to have a listen to what Malcolm Blight had to say today on SEN. He said you learn far more from a loss in round 1 as you do a win. Round 2 is worth 4 points just like round one is. They went 0-4 one year and still won the flag! We need a month of footy first before we start to make big decisions. A lot of these boys have got it done for the last two years. Give them a chance
It is the way we lost, it was by far the worst performance I have seen since Fagan has arrived in my opinion. Good teams do not lose like that, good coaches also do not just drop 1 player after a loss like that. Not sure how Fagan can drop Coleman after that loss and keep the same backline and Midfield and expect different results.

If we do not win tomorrow we won't be making the 8, but at least Fagan has given our backline some experience playing with Birchall.

It is the way we lost, it was by far the worst performance I have seen since Fagan has arrived in my opinion. Good teams do not lose like that, good coaches also do not just drop 1 player after a loss like that. Not sure how Fagan can drop Coleman after that loss and keep the same backline and Midfield and expect different results.

If we do not win tomorrow we won't be making the 8, but at least Fagan has given our backline some experience playing with Birchall.
Round 8, 2001- Carlton 21-16-142 def Brisbane 9-14-68 by 74 points..... we all know what happened between then and late September 2003.

Geelong also didn't make any significant changes. Just dropped a couple of players who have rarely played for them anyway

Not surprised about the lack of changes but the one we did make was interesting.

Both Coleman and Berry bring good pressure but Berry is far superior in contested possessions and Coleman has far better skills.
Jackess I know you think I value disposals too much but I cannot remember Berry getting a disposal!!!!

I really thought Coleman would be the one to go. Been disappointed in his recent performances but he's a good young player with a future. Seems to have put on a little weight and dropped his speed the last few games he's played , particularly last week , or am I imagining it ?

Kardinia Park is an unusual oval where you have to scrounge out wins ,just stay in the contest , it's never really a free flowing game. And the wind can be tricky.

I don't see why we can't win it if we play well but it could be a gruesome watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was harsh to drop Coleman. Probably one of the better tacklers in our team and out of all the front running players in our team, why drop a kid instead of lots of the older guys who were really really poor. Kind of makes it look like they are throwing him under the bus for that performance. Also, pretty sure it was the midfielders who weren't doing the defensive running. Lastly, think we are in trouble with all of Rich, Lester and Birchall in the defense. All so slow and will struggle against the quicker forwards of Geelong especially Rohan. I want to see Madden in there, he certainly didn't look out of his class in the practice game

I wouldn’t say that at all.
Tom Berry has some speed and also has some endurance. His running throughout the pre-season surprised me a little actually.
Was pushing his brother at one point early in the pre-season.
I don’t mind the selection because we were lacking forward pressure against Sydney. And that is what he does best.

Bro your name change tripped me out.

Such a weak call at selection. I thought Coleman was one of our better players against Sydney.

Seems like match committee finds it easier to drop a kid who doesn't deserve it over a senior player who probably does.

I'm sure the majority of people would agree Robbo and Birchall would have been the logical omissions if they were a) looking for more pace and/or b) dropping the guys who underperformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back