Preview Round 2 - Geelong v North, 1:10pm Sunday 2 April @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Smith doesn't play and Stanley stays number 1 for now then I can't see Smith being kept out for long. Surely he'll murder all before him at VFL level?

They were handy last year, no doubt. The ruck position was far less of a liability for us than it had been in the recent past.

However, I simply believe the team could be better without both of them in it every week.

As I recall, we had one game without the combo last year (where we comfortably defeated a supposed 'contender' in Adelaide) and now we have Sunday's heartening effort against a team we have generally struggled against. Small sample size, I know, but two performances that have won acclaim on here which were achieved without both rucks in play.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure my desire to see how we would go over a few games with only one of them in the team is unlikely to transpire, unless serious injury intervenes. The MC seems sold on using both whenever they possibly can.
I know I'm pretty friendless in this view, but there wasn't much about Sandilands' dominance that I liked. Stanley battled well enough but I have no doubt we would have done better had Smith been there.

Nope.
We now see how much extra zip we have over the ground by not having to play three rucks.
It was very evident in the JLT series as well.

I'd even argue we would have beaten Hawthorn on our own terms in last years final had there been no Smith and he was replaced with a small.

We just cannot play three rucks anymore and it's ridiculous it's taken how many years already to figure it out?
Even then, we still have supporters wanting what ultimately failed for us last year.

You expect Narkle to be selected this year? Similar to Gregson?
Wouldn't be 100% surprised. They need to play a like for like - and have shown they're prepared to play debutants. Narkle will run and carry and has great finishing. And knows where the goals are.

I know I'm pretty friendless in this view, but there wasn't much about Sandilands' dominance that I liked. Stanley battled well enough but I have no doubt we would have done better had Smith been there.
I'm with you. Smith means we have another dangerous tall who kicks goals in smith rolling forward. And Stanley has elite agility and pace. Blicavs barely took a ball up on the weekend. Reading this forum makes me realise how little people
Actually watch it understand footy. Blicavs played a tagging midfield role - and he was amazing. Fyfe had almost no huge impact on the game. And when Fyfe is on his whole team stand taller. Blicavs job on him can not be underestimated. And because that was his role, we saw Hawkins competing in the ruck when it went forward.

Smith most likely plays.

Nope.
We now see how much extra zip we have over the ground by not having to play three rucks.
It was very evident in the JLT series as well.

I'd even argue we would have beaten Hawthorn on our own terms in last years final had there been no Smith and he was replaced with a small.

We just cannot play three rucks anymore and it's ridiculous it's taken how many years already to figure it out?
Even then, we still have supporters wanting what ultimately failed for us last year.
Ultimately failed? They played off for a grand final spot bobby. Yes they didn't win a flag but they were better than 14 other sides and had the best record against the top 8out of anyone. This is a Donald trump style truth you're trying to peddle here.

Wouldn't be 100% surprised. They need to play a like for like - and have shown they're prepared to play debutants. Narkle will run and carry and has great finishing. And knows where the goals are.

Iv only seen him inu18's so cant really comment but plenty seem to like him. Nothing wrong with debutants , if they can add to the side forget the name and just look at what they can bring. Whats his running like , they usually are very conscious of a players tank before selection.

No to Smith. He needs to earn his spot and didn't do that during the JLT.

None of the last three premiers - Hawthorn, Sydney, Western Bulldogs - have placed too much of an emphasis on rucks. The Dogs won a flag with Jordan Roughead (a KPP) as their starting ruck.

For all the dominance of Naitanui, Goldstein and Sandilands, none of them have led their teams to premierships.

We looked far more balanced with Stanley and Blicavs on Sunday, and our midfield was excellent in constantly sharking Sandilands' taps.

I'm sure Smith will play plenty of AFL this year, and I do like him, but he needs to earn it.

We won something like 16 games last year with Smith and Stanley playing together. I think there's a real mythology developing around how they fare for us.
It think we might see a bit more of a horses for courses selection with them this year, which I dont mind, but that said, I expect to see plenty of games with both of them there.

And that really rings true IMO based on Stanely's work around the ground. He was pushing hard forward and back to be involved in the play.
He's such a confidence player that with his head in the right space, he might actually feel more comfortable up forward and we might... maybe.. somehow..finally see him rip a game apart and kick a bag.

Especially if the ball is coming into F 50 like it did V Freo - fast , flat and directed to those leading to space. Stanley is quick and lanky and there arent too many that can defend him when he's running at the ball carrier.

Go Catters

Don't disagree with that, in relation to being 'more competitive' in the ruck. Giving Rhys more of a chop-out clearly would have helped.

The question is then the balance around probably being more competitive in the ruck but potentially less mobile around the ground.

You see the balance of those factors is best served for us with an improved ruck effort. I see the advantages of increased flexibility and pace across the team as being more compelling than a better break-even at the ruck contest. It's a matter of opinion and I can see the benefits and flaws of both approaches.

And I do acknowledge that the club may be vitally concerned with not 'breaking' either of them through over-use. Hence the desire to share the load every week.

In the end, I don't think having the two of them out there every week is ideal. But I do accept that the club appears to see it as the best solution we can muster from our current resources.

And, in the absence of a Sandi, Goldy or Gawn in the hoops (coincidentally, the first three rucks we will face this season), it is certainly possible that we are best off proceeding just as we are.

Don't disagree with that, in relation to being 'more competitive' in the ruck. Giving Rhys more of a chop-out clearly would have helped.

The question is then the balance around probably being more competitive in the ruck but potentially less mobile around the ground.

You see the balance of those factors is best served for us with an improved ruck effort. I see the advantages of increased flexibility and pace across the team as being more compelling than a better break-even at the ruck contest. It's a matter of opinion and I can see the benefits and flaws of both approaches.

And I do acknowledge that the club may be vitally concerned with not 'breaking' either of them through over-use. Hence the desire to share the load every week.

In the end, I don't think having the two of them out there every week is ideal. But I do accept that the club appears to see it as the best solution we can muster from our current resources.

And, in the absence of a Sandi, Goldy or Gawn in the hoops (coincidentally, the first three rucks we will face this season), it is certainly possible that we are best off proceeding just as we are.
I should say my preference for Smith and Stanley is accompanied by a preference to use them resting in the forward line instead of Taylor. I don't think we lose any mobility with that swap and probably gain mobility in the case of Stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should say my preference for Smith and Stanley is accompanied by a preference to use them resting in the forward line instead of Taylor. I don't think we lose any mobility with that swap and probably gain mobility in the case of Stanley.

I'd still take Harry over either of them in the forward line.

I think they don't demand as much attention from the opposition due to their more limited marking prowess.

Rhys shows lots of potential at times with his contested marking but I don't think he's been at all consistent for us in that area.

I'd still take Harry over either of them in the forward line.

I think they don't demand as much attention from the opposition due to their more limited marking prowess.

Rhys shows lots of potential at times with his contested marking but I don't think he's been at all consistent for us in that area.
In current form Stanley's marking is infinitely better than Harry's.

Smiths marking around the ground is subpar. Was really obvious how poor he was in the JLT series. I also have queries about his hardness for the contest, yes I'm aware of his game against Mumford but I don't really rate him as a ruckman, just plays as an extra mid and tackles which is nice for a big guy.

Id actually like to see Smith ruck, Hawk at CHF and Stanley in the square with space in front of him. Hawk must be honoured with the #1KPD following him up the ground, Stanley with some confidence leading at the ball carrier and the little ones at his feet...

Its all about that space and ball movement.

GO Catters

You expect Narkle to be selected this year? Similar to Gregson?

Not sure whether this question was directed to me?

I think Narkle is well down the list of debutantes and would only come in if our injury status was appalling. I reckon he's more likely to have a year in the VFL building up his tank.

Parfitt, Stewart (both done), Gardner, Z.Guthrie and possibly Parsons are the only ones I can possibly seeing debuting. Gardner being the one I'm particularly interested in watching.

Hypothetical idea here: Taylor out: Smith in

Try Blitz in the floating role Taylor had on Sunday, blitz could do that, just create contests in the 50 and an occasional chip out in defence, then Smith and Stanley rotate through the ruck, that doesn't leave us too tall

In current form Stanley's marking is infinitely better than Harry's.

Really?;)

Anyway, hopefully Rhys does start to develop a pattern of consistency with his contested marking.

I don't really think he's done that in his time with us so far.

And still hopeful that Harry might come good as well. At least with him you can be certain that he'll leave no stone unturned in his quest to return to better form.

No to Smith. He needs to earn his spot and didn't do that during the JLT.

None of the last three premiers - Hawthorn, Sydney, Western Bulldogs - have placed too much of an emphasis on rucks. The Dogs won a flag with Jordan Roughead (a KPP) as their starting ruck.

For all the dominance of Naitanui, Goldstein and Sandilands, none of them have led their teams to premierships.

We looked far more balanced with Stanley and Blicavs on Sunday, and our midfield was excellent in constantly sharking Sandilands' taps.

I'm sure Smith will play plenty of AFL this year, and I do like him, but he needs to earn it.

Could of been a tad harsh on Nat, Goldy, Sandiland's wouldnt say its their fault they haven't won a flag team game

Hypothetical idea here: Taylor out: Smith in

Try Blitz in the floating role Taylor had on Sunday, blitz could do that, just create contests in the 50 and an occasional chip out in defence, then Smith and Stanley rotate through the ruck, that doesn't leave us too tall
If Smith is recalled then Taylor is only player who should make way. Whilst I don't agree with the inclusion of Smith as I think the Stanley/Blicavs combo worked well, I can live with Stanley up forward with Blicavs partnering Smith in the ruck.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Black debuts for the club against his former side but that's a little unlikely unless Taylor is omitted too.

Yep, doubt we'll be that good next time round against them with the same ruck set up. Sandilands still smashed us - it was just that their mids were off on the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back