Preview Round 2, GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday 1st April, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Hopper as a player and the different dynamic he brings to the midfield group but at the minute his decision making when he has the ball is really lacking. Dont think NEAFL is the answer because he will just waltz around with no pressure on and rack up touches. He probably needs a good month of seniors and really work on hitting targets. 53% DE is not gonna cut it at senior level.

I like Hopper as a player and the different dynamic he brings to the midfield group but at the minute his decision making when he has the ball is really lacking. Dont think NEAFL is the answer because he will just waltz around with no pressure on and rack up touches. He probably needs a good month of seniors and really work on hitting targets. 53% DE is not gonna cut it at senior level.
Hopper needs to have faith in his first options. Too often be second guessed himself into trouble and clangered a handball.

Riley Stuart's top five....I am ROFL..."bin juice"...

3. Ablett first-half shocker

This might be the first time the words "Gary Ablett" and "awful" have appeared in the same sentence. Let's be clear: We're talking about a two-time premiership hero who normally has leather poisoning. But the Suns skipper stunk it up in the first half at Spotless Stadium. This was a stench more unbearable than raw sewage. Think bin juice, grandpa's slippers, wet dog – the works. He didn't touch the footy until late in the first term. Midway through the second, he had two touches. One of them was a handball that didn't hit a target. A late flurry saw him reach eight by the long break.

Great game by the team, ended up a blowout but Suns did surge in that second quarter and GWS dropped its guard, so the good thing was that the boys picked up their efforts and got back into stride. Shiel & Ward were tremendous in the contest, Kelly showed great touch all around the park, but the best two aspects for mine were the entries into the F50 showed much better variation & nouse, and the defence looked a lot more solid (although the latter may have been more due to the opposition). Still, a much better effort across the park today, and the result and percentage came with it. Excellent win by the team.

Yep opposition boards and the main board having a crack at the fact that no one wants to cone watch the premiership favourites. Just as i expected

Im flagging it now that this is an issue

Big crowds for finals, 1 kick of a GF, massive boost in membership....... Hardly anyone turns up

1. Either our membership department dodge the numbers

Or

2. This is a problem. Because if not many people are going to the games while we are a chance at a flag, what hope do we have during a rough time

WHY DONT PEOPLE GO ???????

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great game by the team, ended up a blowout but Suns did surge in that second quarter and GWS dropped its guard, so the good thing was that the boys picked up their efforts and got back into stride. Shiel & Ward were tremendous in the contest, Kelly showed great touch all around the park, but the best two aspects for mine were the entries into the F50 showed much better variation & nouse, and the defence looked a lot more solid (although the latter may have been more due to the opposition). Still, a much better effort across the park today, and the result and percentage came with it. Excellent win by the team.
Without Patton too

We have shown we have plenty of avenues to goal

Yep opposition boards and the main board having a crack at the fact that no one wants to cone watch the premiership favourites. Just as i expected

Big crowds for finals, 1 kick of a GF, massive boost in membership....... Hardly anyone turns up

Or

2. This is a problem. Because if not many people are going to the games while we are a chance at a flag, what hope do we have during a rough time

I told you today we'd find out how many diehard supporters we've got. ;)

Or

Large numbers of a) 3 game members and b) Canberra members

If you only have three games to go to, are you using it on the Suns on a day it's difficult to get to the stadium, or are you using it on the Swans or the Pies or the tigers or basically anyone better than the suns?

Also, if you're going to trek up the highway from the national capital, the same question applies.

Don't forget the suns have even less members than we have and what they do have don't travel.

Bad crowd - yes.

Measure of long term outcomes? Not remotely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or

This early Spotless game has caught a few people out. Also, hardly any oppo supporters there. Add to that difficulty accessing the ground. Even Eels and Panthers on the tv.

Large numbers of a) 3 game members and b) Canberra members

If you only have three games to go to, are you using it on the Suns on a day it's difficult to get to the stadium, or are you using it on the Swans or the Pies or the tigers or basically anyone better than the suns?

Also, if you're going to trek up the highway from the national capital, the same question applies.

Don't forget the suns have even less members than we have and what they do have don't travel.

Bad crowd - yes.

Measure of long term outcomes? Not remotely.
Three game members was going to be my point too.

These new members aren't going to be taking out full season memberships based off our spike last year. They'll get the easiest one, three games, and then go to the good games. That was not today.

If we do well they come back the next year and the year after, and at some point in there they start transitioning to full season members and come to every game.

Having said all that, less than 10k is still disappointing.

Or

:cool: I agree completely, but when I say that I get jumped on. What can we do except trust the club has it in hand long term, hopefully numero uno priority, and turn up.

Maybe has a bit to do with the herd/mob mentality. People watching on tv see the empty seats on TV because the camera shows nothing but the empty seats and not the other side, so they adopt the mentality that no one is going to the games so they themselves think it's not worth going to watch the game live with what looks like only a few thousand people at the game

Crowd of 8000 is disappointing but you have to see it in context.
NRL crowds this week of 7421 just next door at ANZ (admittedly in terrible conditions on Thursday night) and 12376 at Allianz (between 2 Sydney clubs performing well) and the All Conquering Wanderers Spotless crowds ranged from 7828 to 14232 with around 19000 members.
I don't think it seems so bad in that light. Opposition supporters in AFL areas have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to crowds in this city. The Swans have had a huge range of crowd sizes over their journey.
There will be big games, and low drawing games such as this one coming off a near 10 goal loss, against another club still building a supporter base.

Three game members was going to be my point too.

These new members aren't going to be taking out full season memberships based off our spike last year. They'll get the easiest one, three games, and then go to the good games. That was not today.

If we do well they come back the next year and the year after, and at some point in there they start transitioning to full season members and come to every game.

Having said all that, less than 10k is still disappointing.
It is

This is a serious worry. We have been around 6 years and we are not sustainable

We are premiership favourites god dammit. People should be jumping on this bandwagon like a west coast eagles player on a duck tackle !!!!

Im sorry but this is now a massive problem

I am also a member of another franchise, tbe western force. Who may not be around next year. As they dont get crowds. Albeit they have not been successful on the field.

Im sorry but even with three flags, without gate takings our club is not sustainable

We are president favourites and play the most exciting brand of AFL in years and 8000 people care

The future is bleak

It is

We are premiership favourites god dammit. People should be jumping on this bandwagon like a west coast eagles player on a duck tackle !!!!

I am also a member of another franchise, tbe western force. Who may not be around next year. As they dont get crowds. Albeit they have not been successful on the field.

Im sorry but even with three flags, without gate takings our club is not sustainable

We are president favourites and play the most exciting brand of AFL in years and 8000 people care

The future is bleak

Go to bed Simmofreo your drunk

Go to bed Simmofreo your drunk
:DMany a wise word said after a wee dram or two. I've used the bottle of rum and a spot under a redgum along the darling method to make important decisions. Doesn't work but at least the process is pleasant.

It is

The future is bleak

You are way over cooking things and its worth remembering that the bears/lions a team that started from scratch just like us didn't average more then 10,000-12,000 in their first 9 years and it wasn't until they made the finals for a couple years in a row that they truly started to cut thru the qld market.

Also while the vic media may of had us as fav not sure the average sydney afl follower saw it that way especially after the beating we took from the crows the other week.

Riley Stuart's top five....I am ROFL..."bin juice"...

3. Ablett first-half shocker

This might be the first time the words "Gary Ablett" and "awful" have appeared in the same sentence. Let's be clear: We're talking about a two-time premiership hero who normally has leather poisoning. But the Suns skipper stunk it up in the first half at Spotless Stadium. This was a stench more unbearable than raw sewage. Think bin juice, grandpa's slippers, wet dog – the works. He didn't touch the footy until late in the first term. Midway through the second, he had two touches. One of them was a handball that didn't hit a target. A late flurry saw him reach eight by the long break.
Gold Coast should have let him return to Geelong. He clearly doesn't want to be there. That was the worst game I've ever seen Ablett play. His body is supposed to be in good nick, so Suns' supporters rightfully would have expected a lot more output.

I have to say that it was nice to see us win in emphatic style. After the unexpected beating we received last week from the Crows, I was expecting some kind of response from the boys. Thankfully they obliged. To win by over 100 points is fantastic for our confidence and our percentage.

It must be said that while we have some concerns which still need ironing out, Gold Coast is in real trouble. They have MASSIVE concerns. I don't think Mr. Eade is the coach for them moving forward and expect him to get the arse before the season is out.

Next week we have another potentially tough match. While I don't rate North and expect Geelong to comfortably dispatch them, I think a desperate Kangaroos outfit staring down the barrel of a (potential) 0-3 start to 2017 will be desperate to win in their home away from home, Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back