Preview Round 2 Lions at Home v Dockers Away (well 73klm away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Game Day: Gabba Saturday 13th June 2020 at 1.45pm AEST

Dockers v Lions

1590479601896.png
1590479627096.png

The Brisbane Lions were set to play the Fremantle Dockers in round 11 at Optus stadium.
But alas the world is in a strange place at present, so we get to play Fremantle instead of North in round 2.

This game was originally scheduled in WA.
We would have been up against a hostile crowd (before corona virus) and this game would have been penciled in by coaches as a danger game.
Any game played across the country is a danger game as was evident by our heartbreaking 1 point loss to the Dockers at Optus Stadium last year.
The previous 2 years we traveled to WA for this game. We now have a home game, and one we must win to get back on track in 2020.

After a lackluster effort against the Hawks in round 1 the boys need to come out firing and not let the Dockers into the game right from the first bounce.
A good start in the shortened quarters format will be important.

The next four games are also at the Gabba and I believe we must win 3 of them to stay in finals contention in this short but fair (sort of) corona virus draw of 2020.

At the time of writing this review there was no injury list available for either team on the AFL site.
I am going to assume (wrongly) that the players named in round 1 for each team will most likely front up again. I expect the vast majority will.

With no recent game form to go on, a review of both teams round 1 performance may provide some insight to this game.

Fremantle v Essendon

In round 1 the Dockers under new coach Justin Longmuir failed to peg back the fast starting Essendon by 6 points.

One of the Dockers problems over the years with Ross Lyon in charge was their inability to post a big score. Once again they only kicked 8 goals at Marvel stadium.

Rory Lobb had a good game marking everything that came his way and kicked 2 goals while pinch hitting in the ruck.
Three goals came from first gamer Sam Sturt, with single goals to Walters, Colyer & Taberner.

Bret Bewley in his 8th appearance played his best game to date. He had 20 disposals and 8 marks also had a game high 498 meters gained.
Ex Lion James Aish also playing his first game for the Dockers but was quiet with only 12 disposals.

Lions v Hawthorn

In my opinion the round 1 Lions v Hawks encounter lacked intensity compared to the Dockers v Essendon game. Hopefully this is rectified come round 2.

Looking at the team stats it was fairly even overall except the final scores.

Hawthorn did have a healthy margin in these three stats - hit outs 33 to 22, uncontested possession 172 to 159, free kicks 20 to 15.
Also, the Lions only used 73 of 90 interchange.

Stefan Martin injured his PCL during the 3rd quarter and did not return. Charlie Cameron’s day ended early in the last quarter with a toe injury.

Deven Robertson made his debut when Grant Birchall withdrew with hamstring tightness.
Hawthorn had no injuries for the game.

Maybe we can put the loss down to all these things combined.

At three quarter time we only trailed by 13 points but had 14 scoring shots to their 12 so still in the game at this stage.
The Hawks kicked 4 goals 4 to our 2 goals 1 to run away with a comfortable 28 point win.

And then the season unraveled for everyone.
At half time Gil McLachlan announced to the AFL community the season was on hold due to corona virus.
According to both clubs no players were informed of this decision.

Should both teams go in unchanged (but unlikely) the breakup will look something like below. The Lions figures include Deven Robertson in for Grant Birchall

Below figures taken from footywire. I rechecked the game average of 58.7 for the Dockers and that is what they have indicated.
So a very young team for the Dockers that day

[TD valign="top"] Lions [/TD][TD valign="top"] Average Attributes [/TD][TD valign="top"] Dockers [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]188.1 cm[/TD][TD valign="top"]Height[/TD][TD valign="top"]188.0 cm[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]88.6 kg[/TD][TD valign="top"]Weight[/TD][TD valign="top"]88.8 kg[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]24 yrs. 10 months[/TD][TD valign="top"]Age[/TD][TD valign="top"]24 yrs. 0 MThs[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Total Players BY Games [/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]87.8[/TD][TD valign="top"]Games Average[/TD][TD valign="top"] 58.7 [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7[/TD][TD valign="top"]Less than 50[/TD][TD valign="top"] 11 [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]6[/TD][TD valign="top"]50-99[/TD][TD valign="top"]8[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]4[/TD][TD valign="top"]100-149[/TD][TD valign="top"] 1 [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5[/TD][TD valign="top"]150+[/TD][TD valign="top"] 2 [/TD]

Fremantle will go into this game with Darcy their main ruck and Lobb mostly forward.
I expect the Lions to play Martin (if fit) and another forward/ruck, possibly McInerney over Ballenden and Archie Smith.
What are people’s thoughts on playing one or two rucks?

Our back line is becoming a solid unit and should hold Fremantle to another low score.
Containing Walters could be the key.
Rory Lobb played well in round one but he had a first gamer on him most of the day.

Our forward line need to find a way to score more consistently and not solely rely on a team effort that worked so well in 2019.
Opposition coaches will have done their homework.
This could be a chance for someone like Ballenden to get the gig over Oscar.
Whoever gets the forward/ruck role needs to consistently kick goals to hold that spot. If not, we may very well run with an extra mid.

On paper we have a better midfield then the Dockers.
However Fyfe is one on the best midfielders in the completion and we can’t afford to have him dominate.
One player needs to have a run with role on Fyfe.
Jarred Lyons has played this role on a few players in the past but I think we need a big bodied mid to take on the role.

I am going way out on a limb and suggest Cam Ellis-Yolmen to get the job.
Hopefully Cam has taken his wake up message from Fagan before round 1 seriously.
Jarrod Berry is another who could take this role.
Please voice your opinion I can take it, I think.

1590480002826.png
1590480040949.png
1590480072911.png

Key players for the Dockers if they play. List in no particular order- Darcy-Lobb-Fyfe -McCarthy-Mundy-Walters

Which young player might get a game for the Lions - Ah Chee-Ballenden-Coleman-Cox-Payne-Robertson-Skinner-Starcevich or a bolter

So predicatively I believe the Lions will be too good at home and win by 20+ points.
Hopefully they get off to a good start and stay well in front the whole game.

So what does the Lions Big Footy community think?

Last edited:

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Game Day: Gabba Saturday 13th June 2020 at 1.45pm AEST

Dockers v Lions

View attachment 881802View attachment 881803

The Brisbane Lions were set to play the Fremantle Dockers in round 11 at Optus stadium.
But alas the world is in a strange place at present, so we get to play Fremantle instead of North in round 2.

This game was originally scheduled in WA.
We would have been up against a hostile crowd (before corona virus) and this game would have been penciled in by coaches as a danger game.
Any game played across the country is a danger game as was evident by our heartbreaking 1 point loss to the Dockers at Optus Stadium last year.
The previous 2 years we traveled to WA for this game. We now have a home game, and one we must win to get back on track in 2020.

After a lackluster effort against the Hawks in round 1 the boys need to come out firing and not let the Dockers into the game right from the first bounce.
A good start in the shortened quarters format will be important.

The next four games are also at the Gabba and I believe we must win 3 of them to stay in finals contention in this short but fair (sort of) corona virus draw of 2020.

At the time of writing this review there was no injury list available for either team on the AFL site.
I am going to assume (wrongly) that the players named in round 1 for each team will most likely front up again. I expect the vast majority will.

With no recent game form to go on, a review of both teams round 1 performance may provide some insight to this game.

Fremantle v Essendon

In round 1 the Dockers under new coach Justin Longmuir failed to peg back the fast starting Essendon by 6 points.

One of the Dockers problems over the years with Ross Lyon in charge was their inability to post a big score. Once again they only kicked 8 goals at Marvel stadium.

Rory Lobb had a good game marking everything that came his way and kicked 2 goals while pinch hitting in the ruck.
Three goals came from first gamer Sam Sturt, with single goals to Walters, Colyer & Taberner.

Bret Bewley in his 8th appearance played his best game to date. He had 20 disposals and 8 marks also had a game high 498 meters gained.
Ex Lion James Aish also playing his first game for the Dockers but was quiet with only 12 disposals.

Lions v Hawthorn

In my opinion the round 1 Lions v Hawks encounter lacked intensity compared to the Dockers v Essendon game. Hopefully this is rectified come round 2.

Looking at the team stats it was fairly even overall except the final scores.

Hawthorn did have a healthy margin in these three stats - hit outs 33 to 22, uncontested possession 172 to 159, free kicks 20 to 15.
Also, the Lions only used 73 of 90 interchange.

Stefan Martin injured his PCL during the 3rd quarter and did not return. Charlie Cameron’s day ended early in the last quarter with a toe injury.

Deven Robertson made his debut when Grant Birchall withdrew with hamstring tightness.
Hawthorn had no injuries for the game.

Maybe we can put the loss down to all these things combined.

At three quarter time we only trailed by 13 points but had 14 scoring shots to their 12 so still in the game at this stage.
The Hawks kicked 4 goals 4 to our 2 goals 1 to run away with a comfortable 28 point win.

And then the season unraveled for everyone.
At half time Gil McLachlan announced to the AFL community the season was on hold due to corona virus.
According to both clubs no players were informed of this decision.

Should both teams go in unchanged (but unlikely) the breakup will look something like below. The Lions figures include Deven Robertson in for Grant Birchall

Below figures taken from footywire. I rechecked the game average of 58.7 for the Dockers and that is what they have indicated.
So a very young team for the Dockers that day

[TD valign="top"] Lions [/TD][TD valign="top"] Average Attributes [/TD][TD valign="top"] Dockers [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]188.1 cm[/TD][TD valign="top"]Height[/TD][TD valign="top"]188.0 cm[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]88.6 kg[/TD][TD valign="top"]Weight[/TD][TD valign="top"]88.8 kg[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]24 yrs. 10 months[/TD][TD valign="top"]Age[/TD][TD valign="top"]24 yrs. 0 MThs[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"] Total Players BY Games [/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]87.8[/TD][TD valign="top"]Games Average[/TD][TD valign="top"] 58.7 [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7[/TD][TD valign="top"]Less than 50[/TD][TD valign="top"] 11 [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]6[/TD][TD valign="top"]50-99[/TD][TD valign="top"]8[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]4[/TD][TD valign="top"]100-149[/TD][TD valign="top"] 1 [/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5[/TD][TD valign="top"]150+[/TD][TD valign="top"] 2 [/TD]

Fremantle will go into this game with Darcy their main ruck and Lobb mostly forward.
I expect the Lions to play Martin (if fit) and another forward/ruck, possibly McInerney over Ballenden and Archie Smith.
What are people’s thoughts on playing one or two rucks?

Our back line is becoming a solid unit and should hold Fremantle to another low score.
Containing Walters could be the key.
Rory Lobb played well in round one but he had a first gamer on him most of the day.

Our forward line need to find a way to score more consistently and not solely rely on a team effort that worked so well in 2019.
Opposition coaches will have done their homework.
This could be a chance for someone like Ballenden to get the gig over Oscar.
Whoever gets the forward/ruck role needs to consistently kick goals to hold that spot. If not, we may very well run with an extra mid.

On paper we have a better midfield then the Dockers.
However Fyfe is one on the best midfielders in the completion and we can’t afford to have him dominate.
One player needs to have a run with role on Fyfe.
Jarred Lyons has played this role on a few players in the past but I think we need a big bodied mid to take on the role.

I am going way out on a limb and suggest Cam Ellis-Yolmen to get the job.
Hopefully Cam has taken his wake up message from Fagan before round 1 seriously.
Jarrod Berry is another who could take this role.
Please voice your opinion I can take it, I think.

View attachment 881806View attachment 881809View attachment 881810

Key players for the Dockers if they play. List in no particular order- Darcy-Lobb-Fyfe-S.Hill-McCarthy-Mundy-Walters

Which young player might get a game for the Lions - Ah Chee-Ballenden-Coleman-Cox-Payne-Robertson-Skinner-Starcevich or a bolter

So predicatively I believe the Lions will be too good at home and win by 20+ points.
Hopefully they get off to a good start and stay well in front the whole game.

So what does the Lions Big Footy community think?
Good post. I would like to see Ballenden as the back up ruck and play 3rd tall. I believe Payne must come in for Adams, as Dockers could play tall with Lobb forward and Taberner over 197cm. Without Payne, we seem a bit short even with Andrews to take Lobb, as Gardner is around 192. The following game Eagles could also play tall with ALLEN as the third tall forward, so blood Payne without any crowds and see what he has, although unfair after one game to judge. Just glad footy is returning

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good post. I would like to see Ballenden as the back up ruck and play 3rd tall. I believe Payne must come in for Adams, as Dockers could play tall with Lobb forward and Taberner over 197cm. Without Payne, we seem a bit short even with Andrews to take Lobb, as Gardner is around 192. The following game Eagles could also play tall with ALLEN as the third tall forward, so blood Payne without any crowds and see what he has, although unfair after one game to judge. Just glad footy is returning
I am happy for Ballenden to get a go over Oscar just to see what he brings to the team structure.
Payne (197cm/101kg)/Skinner (198cm/100kg) could replace Adams (192cm/93kg). i think Gardener can handle the second tall whoever that may be.
Freo likely talls - Lobb (206cm), Tabner (198cm) & possibly Cam McCarthy(192cm/92kg) who missed round 1.
Birchall will possibly return at the expense of someone else.
Regarding Eagles he is a category B rookie so can't play unless someone is placed on the long term injury list.

On another matter amazingly the AFL is yet to decide on possible increases to the interchange.
Leave the same or increase by 1 or 2. Decision before round 2 so that may open up a few places.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could potentially have 3 come in with Adams out and two possibly added to the interchange. Payne, Birchall, Ah Chee, CEY, Lester, Cox, Ely Smith, Skinner all in the mix you'd think.
This would give clubs some flexibility to try out some players if introduced.
The coaches are driving the increase to the interchange stating "player welfare" as the main reason.
The AFL may give in but going on round 1 figures it would be hard to add more players if coaches are not using most of the quota.
The average interchanges for round 1 was 76 of 90. So 14 short and that includes the 'kick the goal and come off rubbish"

The highest was Sydney with 87 they won the game by 3 points.
The lowest was Nth Melbourne with only 50, they also won narrowly by 2 points.
So it will be interesting to see if the AFL come to the party.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't see us not playing Birchall if he's 100%.

I wonder how close Ely Smith is. If they go with extra interchange at least it will give us a chance to have a look at a couple of new guys.
Agree Birchall plays if ready.

I just wish the Lions would let the members & fans know who is injured and who is training well among the younger players.
Any other information about the training would also be reasonable to expect
Maybe things have been mentioned on facebook/twitter which i don't have or podcasts which i usually miss unless someone on this site mentions it is interesting

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree. AFL clubs really need to do a bit more in generating interest at a time when budgets are going to be slashed . The days of behind closed doors ,one week at a time mightn't cut it in the new world. The competition has changed irrevocably even for those who don't know it.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
GC’s social media team are p!ssing all over ours at the moment. Actually I’m not sure if we actually have one at the moment.

Daily videos of their guys at training, or messages to the fans etc.

Most of our stories are generated from rehashing snippets from the current weeks Roar Deal podcast.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
GC’s social media team are p!ssing all over ours at the moment. Actually I’m not sure if we actually have one at the moment.

Most of our stories are generated from rehashing snippets from the current weeks Roar Deal podcast.
It's a bit disappointing . Like to hear more about how some of the guys pressing for selection are going.

Hopefully we'll crank up in the next week or so.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't see us not playing Birchall if he's 100%.

I wonder how close Ely Smith is. If they go with extra interchange at least it will give us a chance to have a look at a couple of new guys.
I think Skinner should come into contention now that Adams is out particularly due to Freo's tall forward line.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Skinner should come into contention now that Adams is out particularly due to Freo's tall forward line.
He is a chance, but played forward all last year in NEAFL, and before COVID 19 shut down was playing forward in the match sims this year. I am a fan of Sam especially overcoming 3 ACL's. However just my opinion Payne is arguably the better athlete and has extended with the club until "at least 2021" probably means there is an option for 2022, and Sam is on the Rookie list, so the club arguably sees Payne as the long term option. But happy if a few of the young guys get a chance in this unusual season, I see Skinner as more a forward option. I think we can afford to blood a young player almost weekly except when playing against the gun sides like Richmond, Pies, Giants, Eagles. Worth getting some exposure and experience into them. I don't think we would loose a game against some of the weaker teams because one or two of the young guys eg Payne/Skinner/ Ely Simith/ Ballenden etc are on the field.

He is a chance, but played forward all last year in NEAFL, and before COVID 19 shut down was playing forward in the match sims this year. I am a fan of Sam especially overcoming 3 ACL's. However just my opinion Payne is arguably the better athlete and has extended with the club until "at least 2021" probably means there is an option for 2022, and Sam is on the Rookie list, so the club arguably sees Payne as the long term option. But happy if a few of the young guys get a chance in this unusual season, I see Skinner as more a forward option. I think we can afford to blood a young player almost weekly except when playing against the gun sides like Richmond, Pies, Giants, Eagles. Worth getting some exposure and experience into them. I don't think we would loose a game against some of the weaker teams because one or two of the young guys eg Payne/Skinner/ Ely Simith/ Ballenden etc are on the field.
In the Roar Deal Podcast this week, Damian Austin mentioned that we would likely play what we consider our best 22 on a weekly basis.
so the chances of us playing young players for exposure and experience is unlikely.
If there are injuries or bad form from Senior players is their best chance.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the Roar Deal Podcast this week, Damian Austin mentioned that we would likely play what we consider our best 22 on a weekly basis.
so the chances of us playing young players for exposure and experience is unlikely.
Is understandable, but picking one of our young guns each week against the weaker teams is not going to cost us a game, especially if coming off the bench, provides some much needed exposure for future months/years. With no crowds this is an opportunity, but can also understand the best 22 approach

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is understandable, but picking one of our young guns each week against the weaker teams is not going to cost us a game, especially if coming off the bench, provides some much needed exposure for future months/years. With no crowds this is an opportunity, but can also understand the best 22 approach

Yep signalling to the team that we're playing a "weaker team" and should win even if not playing at our best is a horrible idea.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Do you know if Michael Whiting is a casualty of AFL cutbacks as he usually covers us and the Suns.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep signalling to the team that we're playing a "weaker team" and should win even if not playing at our best is a horrible idea.
I would normally say select best 22.
The guys that were knocking on the door last year that just could not get a go because our injury list was always low or nil.
I am quite happy to see lots of these guys get a run this year. Not all at the same time though.
I have mentioned in another thread that our top say 8 players should be managed in what is going to be a strange fixture.
Probably not going to happen but as a Club i would be firmly setting my eyes on 2021 as a premiership year.
As such need to see how they cope in the seniors.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I would normally say select best 22.
The guys that were knocking on the door last year that just could not get a go because our injury list was always low or nil.
I am quite happy to see lots of these guys get a run this year. Not all at the same time though.
I have mentioned in another thread that our top say 8 players should be managed in what is going to be a strange fixture.
Probably not going to happen but as a Club i would be firmly setting my eyes on 2021 as a premiership year.
As such need to see how they cope in the seniors.
Absolutely, not at the same time, and that was what I was trying to say. Having been retired for a couple of years I have a bit of time on my hands and I have watched or attended every NEAFL and AFL game last year, and whilst I am no expert (far from it), there are a couple of talented young blokes who have been pushing really hard from last year and in pre season match sims this year. I think rewarding some of the young guys throughout the year is not sending the wrong message, or a horrible idea, or we are expected to win or whatever. It is actually the opposite, by rewarding young talent who have had good preseasons, and giving them some much needed exposure with the prize being 2021 or 2022. I doubt we would lose a game because Payne replaced Adams or because Skinner was given a chance in the forward line, or because Ely Smith or Ballenden were given some limited game time etc.

With the shorter rest between games I think there will be many instances of players being genuinely rested to reduce soft tissue injuries and newbies getting their chance.

With the shorter rest between games I think there will be many instances of players being genuinely rested to reduce soft tissue injuries and newbies getting their chance.
Unless there is a big jump in Covid daily cases then it will be 1 game a week for the rest of the year.
Unlikely players will be rested other than for genuine concerns of fatigue.
In a shorter season with less games, shorter quarters and only 1 game per week it is less likely players will be rested.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Do you know if Michael Whiting is a casualty of AFL cutbacks as he usually covers us and the Suns.
I don’t know sorry.

I believe he might be stood down until games start again.

Usually he mentions things like this in the Roar Deal podcast. He hasn’t, so I’m in the darks as much as most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back