Preview Round 2 Lions at Home v Dockers Away (well 73klm away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolutely, not at the same time, and that was what I was trying to say. Having been retired for a couple of years I have a bit of time on my hands and I have watched or attended every NEAFL and AFL game last year, and whilst I am no expert (far from it), there are a couple of talented young blokes who have been pushing really hard from last year and in pre season match sims this year. I think rewarding some of the young guys throughout the year is not sending the wrong message, or a horrible idea, or we are expected to win or whatever. It is actually the opposite, by rewarding young talent who have had good preseasons, and giving them some much needed exposure with the prize being 2021 or 2022. I doubt we would lose a game because Payne replaced Adams or because Skinner was given a chance in the forward line, or because Ely Smith or Ballenden were given some limited game time etc.
Yes playing young or debut players during the season is not such a bad thing.
I think it is necessary if you want to stay in the top eight for an extended period.
Out of interest listed below are the clubs that played the most debut players for the last three years.
If i went back 10 or 15 years the numbers may tell a different story.

YearClub That Played The Most Debut Players For The YearNumber Of Debut PlayersLadder Position End H & A SeasonFinals
2019Richmond73 rdPremiers
2018West Coast Eagles8 (equal with Melbourne)2ndPremiers
2018Melbourne8 (equal with WCE)5thBeaten in Preliminary Final
2017North Melbourne1115th15th

Been watching a few of last years games again lately and one person (who most of us have probably forgotten about) who played well and was a valuable contributor in the run of wins at the back end of last year is Allen Christensen?
He offers good forward defensive pressure and knows how to find the goals.
I wonder if he will come into the selection frame?
Now his back has healed up, which kept him out of contention for round 1.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Been watching a few of last years games again lately and one person (who most of us have probably forgotten about) who played well and was a valuable contributor in the run of wins at the back end of last year is Allen Christensen?
He offers good forward defensive pressure and knows how to find the goals.
I wonder if he will come into the selection frame?
Now his back has healed up, which kept him out of contention for round 1.
Allen had a solid season when he resumed in the seniors round 14 after a stint in the NEAFL from rounds 6 to 13
He plays that small forward role well. Hits the scoreboard regularly and applies good pressure
Allen would definitely be considered as long as he has had a uninterrupted block of training leading up to round 2.
Just turned 29 this month.
Kicked a goal in 11 of his 13 games in 2019.
He failed to score in round 4 but still had 22 disposals
Also failed to score in round 22 v Geelong after a hamstring strain in the first quarter

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The shorter quarters should in theory be a good opportunity to blood a young guy or two . If we recruited Birchall you'd have to think we're not over enamoured with the alternatives we have. If you look at the NEAFL our best players there overall are Eagles ,Christensen and Matho when they play twos, Bastinac and Keays who we released and maybe Corey Lyons.

So considering that you have to wonder if there are in reality many younger guys really pushing for selection.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes playing young or debut players during the season is not such a bad thing.
I think it is necessary if you want to stay in the top eight for an extended period.
Out of interest listed below are the clubs that played the most debut players for the last three years.
If i went back 10 or 15 years the numbers may tell a different story.

YearClub That Played The Most Debut Players For The YearNumber Of Debut PlayersLadder Position End H & A SeasonFinals
2019Richmond73 rdPremiers
2018West Coast Eagles8 (equal with Melbourne)2ndPremiers
2018Melbourne8 (equal with WCE)5thBeaten in Preliminary Final
2017North Melbourne1115th15th

True and with the buzz saw hanging over list sizes next year, and no reserves, there will be some we need to get one last look at before cutting them loose. I would love Skinner to get a proper run at it but injury prone players may already have their cards marked.

True and with the buzz saw hanging over list sizes next year, and no reserves, there will be some we need to get one last look at before cutting them loose. I would love Skinner to get a proper run at it but injury prone players may already have their cards marked.

I think injury history will be given a lot of weight when cutting the list. There’s less space for ‘might come right’. It’s going to be a very sad delisting period.

Heard this morning that Dayne Zorko may have a lingering injury Or maybe managing something which could end up serious if pushed, like ending up with a stress fracture?
They didn’t really elaborate and I didn’t hear them mention what part of the body it may be.
Anyone heard anything in relation to this?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Heard this morning that Dayne Zorko may have a lingering injury Or maybe managing something which could end up serious if pushed, like ending up with a stress fracture?
They didn’t really elaborate and I didn’t hear them mention what part of the body it may be.
Anyone heard anything in relation to this?
The Brisbane Lions remain hopeful captain Dayne Zorko will line up against Fremantle in round two while the Dockers are set to welcome Jesse Hogan into their Gold Coast quarantine hub for the AFL season restart.

Zorko has managed a foot issue since training recently resumed, with fears this could degenerate into a stress fracture but he eased concerns by completing close to a full training session on Friday.

The Lions expect he will join the main group at training on Monday and, while Zorko is confident he will be available to face the Dockers at the Gabba on June 13, he will need to complete a solid week of contact work to prove his fitness. There have been social-media postings of Zorko in the weights room but it's his ability to run out a game that is the question.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...o-welcome-hogan-s-return-20200530-p54xz9.html

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Might have to play Zorko forward more and manage his kms

looks like Dev Robertson has seriously bulked up since the draft.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Finally someone from the club confirming our injury list.
Damien Austin confirms only Madden who is in isolation in Melbourne and Adams who will return to running next week unavailable.
So it is a bit like round 1 all over again who will get selected
Except this time we have no idea who has impressed the coaches due to no media articles from Michael Whiting or pretty much anyone else.
No Big Footy people attending training to add their incite.
So who will be the surprise selections?. Will Zorko be given another week with his achilles issue being managed ?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Finally someone from the club confirming our injury list.
Damien Austin confirms only Madden who is in isolation in Melbourne and Adams who will return to running next week unavailable.
So it is a bit like round 1 all over again who will get selected
Except this time we have no idea who has impressed the coaches due to no media articles from Michael Whiting or pretty much anyone else.
No Big Footy people attending training to add their incite.
So who will be the surprise selections?. Will Zorko be given another week with his achilles issue being managed ?

I thought about rocking up to Wednesday afternoon training, but it looks like all training is at the Gabba atm.

Also thought I might cop a verbal slap down if I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back