Preview Round 2 Lions at Home v Dockers Away (well 73klm away)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"free speech" protest/rallies are fine and stuff the consequences from the lack of social distancing, sounds a tad hypocritical to me.

Not sure where the hypocrisy is, unless those same people have also been calling for more onerous lockdown measures? I haven't seen any reference to that being the case though i also haven't looked for them.

Why weren't people allowed "religious freedom of worship" and able to go to churches..... this coming from an anti-theist BTW.

If the churches chose to challenge the rules, they probably would've been allowed. After all the Constitution bans prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

A similar case is Palmer's challenging of the state border closures. Those closures are almost definitely banned by the Constitution's section 92 but no one chose to challenge them initially.

Not sure where the hypocrisy is, unless those same people have also been calling for more onerous lockdown measures? I haven't seen any reference to that being the case though i also haven't looked for them.

If the churches chose to challenge the rules, they probably would've been allowed. After all the Constitution bans prohibiting the free exercise of religion.

A similar case is Palmer's challenging of the state border closures. Those closures are almost definitely banned by the Constitution's section 92 but no one chose to challenge them initially.
I thought the virus was a matter of life and death and social distancing would save lives and it was all for our own good.

The Lions are my religion....and Chris Fagan the messiah, who wants to be at a protest? Gate 2 the Gabba this Saturday afternoon.

I thought the virus was a matter of life and death and social distancing would save lives and it was all for our own good.
Obviously you missed the "coronavirus is a hoax, it's all 5G" protests down here a couple of weekends ago. :tearsofjoy:

The demonstrations will be a good test over the next week or so, to see if case numbers rise around the Country.
So I wouldn’t be expecting any decisions on limited crowds in Qld before next weekend?
But it would be hard to say if the cases do increase: was it due to recent big changes in restrictions being lifted or the protest crowd numbers.
Personally i hope negligible increases so then more easing of restrictions should follow.
Sort of a trial that was not planned.

My thinking for the changes from round 1:

Birchall for Adams (Injury) - More or less like for like.
Ah Chee for Starcevich - Don't think Starcevich showed enough in Rd. 1, and Ah Chee apparently would've played if he weren't ill.
CEY for Robertson? - Feel like CEY should come in as the way I see it, we brought him in to help against the opposition's big midfielders (to avoid things like what Cripps did to us at Marvel last year). It may be trial by fire, but I could see him lining up on Fyfe at centre bounces.

Ah Chee for Starcevich - Don't think Starcevich showed enough in Rd. 1, and Ah Chee apparently would've played if he weren't ill.
CEY for Robertson? - Feel like CEY should come in as the way I see it, we brought him in to help against the opposition's big midfielders (to avoid things like what Cripps did to us at Marvel last year). It may be trial by fire, but I could see him lining up on Fyfe at centre bounces.
Ah Chee hard to gauge but they did bring him in to play that half back role, although he has hardly ever played in that position.
He was not overly impressive in the preseason games but has now had a few more weeks to settle into that role admittedly only through training.
Lots of fans would have missed a tackle he made against Port in the preseason game. It was a tackle not a bump.
It happened on the boundary line right in front of me so i saw and heard the tackle.
He absolutely took Charlie Dixon from side on and dumped him into the ground. So 78 kg v 105 kg.
The sound of the hit and when they both hit the ground together had all around us in awe.

Happy for CEY to debut as Dockers have 2 big bodied mids in Fyfe and Mundy
Birchall i imaging plays if fit.

Ah Chee hard to gauge but they did bring him in to play that half back role, although he has hardly ever played in that position.
He was not overly impressive in the preseason games but has now had a few more weeks to settle into that role admittedly only through training.
Lots of fans would have missed a tackle he made against Port in the preseason game. It was a tackle not a bump.
It happened on the boundary line right in front of me so i saw and heard the tackle.
He absolutely took Charlie Dixon from side on and dumped him into the ground. So 78 kg v 105 kg.
The sound of the hit and when they both hit the ground together had all around us in awe.

Happy for CEY to debut as Dockers have 2 big bodied mids in Fyfe and Mundy
Birchall i imaging plays if fit.
I made my way to a few of the pre-season intraclub matches and I was impressed with his composure with ball in hand in defence. Didn’t see much run from him but his ability to find a bit of space and find an open man when under pressure was really good.
Didn’t see too much of it in the pre-season games and the trial game against the GC.
I feel if he gets a run it would be at the expense of Answerth, if it was to replace a defensive only player, but with Starcevich playing in the last game, he could replace him.
I like what Starc offered in the game against Carlton though.

Why isn’t Berry playing that big body role?

I would have thought he would be the player for that role.

Despite his size, CEY has never been successful playing that big bodied defensive midfielder role.

Despite his size, CEY has never been successful playing that big bodied defensive midfielder role.

If memory serves when we went over to Freo & took the chocolates in 2018 Berry was playing quite well on Fyfe until he went off injured in the 2nd qtr (Fyfe was injured, not Berry). Certainly missed Berry in our losses to Freo & Carlton last year.

I assume part of it is preserving his body so he doesn't break down early in his career. I think he'll play a wing role similar to Robbo

They can both play it, but for midfields with a Fyfe, Cripps, Bont, JPK type in them I'd be weary about only having Berry and maybe JL there playing that role. Those types of players always seem to cut us up, and I feel thats why we recruited CEY.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may!
If it come down to a choice between the 2? I know which one i would be choosing.

They can both play it, but for midfields with a Fyfe, Cripps, Bont, JPK type in them I'd be weary about only having Berry and maybe JL there playing that role. Those types of players always seem to cut us up, and I feel thats why we recruited CEY.
As I said, CEY has never been successful playing that role for Adelaide.

I assume part of it is preserving his body so he doesn't break down early in his career. I think he'll play a wing role similar to Robbo
That thought certainly crossed my mind. We also have Ely Smithwho is also a big bodied mid.

I do believe we would lose a bit in the midfield playing both Berry and CEY.

If memory serves when we went over to Freo & took the chocolates in 2018 Berry was playing quite well on Fyfe until he went off injured in the 2nd qtr (Fyfe was injured, not Berry). Certainly missed Berry in our losses to Freo & Carlton last year.
Correct. Everyone was giving Bez a wrap at the time.

I think we're all in the dark as to who bobs up this weekend. I like Starc, Ah Chee , Birch ,Answerth and Robertson and they can't all play. CEY also looks a fair fit but his progress over the last several weeks is unknown.

They outgunned us with run out of the backline last time so I guess that'll be uppermost in our thoughts . Playing at the Gabba will help. I think we're too good for them as long as Stef is fit and well.

I am happy for Berry to run with Fyfe or Mundy for that matter.

CEY playing for Adelaide the previous 2 years usually plays mid/fwd or pure mid.
The only game i can find where he had a pure tag/run with role was against Fyfe round 7 in 2019.
Hard to tell who won the battle other than Adelaide won 51 to 34.

Fyfe: 16K-16HB-32D-5M-8T-19CP-84%TOG-Zero score
CEY: 14K-19HB-33D-2M-5T-15CP-81%TOG-Zero score

Last edited:
Could be correct regarding looking after him in 2019
He was good in varying roles mid/wing/forward in his 3rd year of AFL
Had glandular fever preseason so i am sure that may have had some affect in games during the year
So playing 20 games is impressive.
Hope he is fully over that issue and look forward to a breakout 2020.

There will be socially distanced crowds within 6 weeks I reckon - a person every third seat (unless with kids), perhaps a bring your own food and drink policy so theres no lines - staggered entry times over 1 hour leading up to bounce to avoid crowd crush.. i dunno, i reckon they are going to surprise us with how quickly they open us back up.

By the look of the crowds huddled together in their thousands at protests over the last few days the emergency must be over, I'm looking forward to the decision to allow crowds in to games this weekend.

If there was a crowd of 30,000 there this Saturday afternoon I would have no hesitation in going along.

:brisbane:GO LIONS!!:brisbane:

They’ll say the demonstrators were outside whereas the stadium is classified as inside and higher risk.

I fully support every action that helps improve life for our aboriginal populations, and also hope like hell we dodged a virus bullet yesterday. If this goes pear shaped, all the sacrifices made by everybody will be wasted. TrashIng the economy and education will have been wasted.

But hopefully not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back