Preview Round 2 Lions at Home v Dockers Away (well 73klm away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to comment not knowing how the guys have come back and who's impressed and who hasn't.

I'm a bit surprised Tommy got the call ahead of some others right now but it's been evident since before he got drafted he'd be a gun. Tough nut who can run and go all day. I'm not a great Lester fan but he has improved a lot the last couple of years and eliminated the clangers. They obviously love him at the club, maybe replaces the part of Hodgey's brain that will be missing in defence. A real kick up the backside for Witho ,he's been a regular for some time.
Happy for Ah Chee and Birch to be given a chance.

Tonight on a clear night at the G we saw the Pies kick one goal after quarter time and manage to draw the game with a 5 goal total.

Anyone who thinks the shorter quarters won't change the nature of the games is dreaming. Those who are first to work out what works will win games.

And Fagan is a master thinker. I believe we’ll adjust fast and well.

Poor Christensen seems to get pushed to the back of the line and made to earn his spot over again every year. I thought he cemented himself in our best 22 after the bye last year. Now he's not even an emergency.

Rewatched the hawthorn Tasmania game a few days ago. Bundy was awesome.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Poor Christensen seems to get pushed to the back of the line and made to earn his spot over again every year. I thought he cemented himself in our best 22 after the bye last year. Now he's not even an emergency.

It's a strange one. Guessing he's not the most impressive trainer

Hirsty23

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Weirdly enough I actually think having our first four games at the Gabba could be a negative for us. Last night showed players are probably around a month of reaching proper match fitness, having 'home ground advantage' during a period where players on all teams are getting back up to scratch does seem to make this a dangerous block of games for us. Keen as anything for tomorrow regardless.

I would imagine that Tom Berry has been brought into the team to play a similar role.
He has a terrier type of attitude that a defensive forward role will suit.

Hirsty23

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's a strange one. Guessing he's not the most impressive trainer
I honestly think it all comes down to Fagan having an eye for the future. Christensen wasn't even in the bottom 6 of our 22 throughout the back half of last season.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Weirdly enough I actually think having our first four games at the Gabba could be a negative for us. Last night showed players are probably around a month of reaching proper match fitness, having 'home ground advantage' during a period where players on all teams are getting back up to scratch does seem to make this a dangerous block of games for us. Keen as anything for tomorrow regardless.

If both teams are affected evenly why does it matter?

Our 4 opponents have had to relocate so I think that will strengthen our advantage

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Some team stats for the game. These stats from the actual teams named.
Not much difference in age but we have a decided advantage in average games played +21

Brisbane
Average Attribute​
Fremantle
188.5cm​
Height​
187.9cm
88.1kg​
Weight​
88.9kg
25yr 8mth​
Age​
25yr 4mth
102.7​
Games​
Brisbane
Games​
Fremantle
6​
Less than 50​
5​
50 to 99​
5​
100 to 149​
6​
150 or more​

Selections seemed unusual first off, but actually not surprising thinking about it.

Witho reputedly not the greatest trainer, having to take care of himself a lot more, perhaps not done quite as well. Highly talented, and a lot of potential, so I also don't mind that this might give him a bit of a kick. In saying that, I'm basing a lot of that off old info - don't necessarily want to judge him on how he was when he was 18.

On the other hand, Lester is probably the most professional trainer in the place. Even though he has a lower ceiling than many, he'll have stayed at or near that ceiling the entire time. Makes sense that he'd be in the best 22 with far more need for personal dedication.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looking at the changes from round 1 we have gained 306 games of experience.

In..: Birchall 248, Lester 126, Ah Chee 45, T Berry 0 = 419 games
Out: Witherden 54, Adams 38, Answerth 20, Robertson 1 =113 games

So Birchall will play his 250th game milestone against WCE @ Gabba hopefully with a crowd in attendance.
Would be weird playing your 250th with no crowd.

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd be interested to know how both of the reserve team's go. Will Brisbane be giving updates etc or can fans look on from a distance? I'm not sure of the oval set up

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I'd be interested to know how both of the reserve team's go. Will Brisbane be giving updates etc or can fans look on from a distance? I'm not sure of the oval set up
Might get away with a couple of casual fans standing on the burn behind the North end goals.

I’d imagine anyone trying to sit in the small western side stand would be discouraged from sitting there.

Inveigh Slang

Club Legend
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Might get away with a couple of casual fans standing on the burn behind the North end goals.

I’d imagine anyone trying to sit in the small western side stand would be discouraged from sitting there.

Because of COVID , I can't make the annual trip over. Otherwise, I'd be over trying to get a glimpse of the reserves followed by the main game before heading up to Noosa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back