Unofficial Preview Round 2: Lions @ The Gabba - Saturday 13/6

Remove this Banner Ad

You see teams like collingwood and tigers bring players like Stephenson and Higgins straight in, but we are too good for that despite a raft of top picks? This team selection is a shocker for me.
Stupid really. We’ll see Hogan do one game and he’s in. What does he has to prove? He’s 25 ffs. Just play him.
Meh. Flat selections week.

Crowden, Colyer, Banfield, Schulz in one team? Meh, that’s a quarter of a Peel team tbh. Huge pressure on Fyfe, Mundy, Walters to perform because these guys won’t carry us over the line to win.

Happy that Matera is back. Would love to have Hogan surround by Schulz, Matera Walters this week. Big eh.

Tabs will have Andrews all over him, with no Adams. Should’ve rolled the dice. Brisbane’s second defender? Darcy Gardiner. Jesse Hogan would dominate him tbh.

Let’s hope JLo is just starting up, because that’s otherwise typical Ross Lyon selections

You see teams like collingwood and tigers bring players like Stephenson
the exact same Stephenson who wasn’t selected in r1 off glandular fever in the summer and left out tonight?

Stupid really. We’ll see Hogan do one game and he’s in. What does he has to prove? He’s 25 ffs. Just play him.
Meh. Flat selections week.

Crowden, Colyer, Banfield, Schulz in one team? Meh, that’s a quarter of a Peel team tbh. Huge pressure on Fyfe, Mundy, Walters to perform because these guys won’t carry us over the line to win.

Happy that Matera is back. Would love to have Hogan surround by Schulz, Matera Walters this week. Big eh.

Tabs will have Andrews all over him, with no Adams. Should’ve rolled the dice. Brisbane’s second defender? Darcy Gardiner. Jesse Hogan would dominate him tbh.

Let’s hope JLo is just starting up, because that’s otherwise typical Ross Lyon selections
Banfield isnt too bad to be honest. The bloke is a 190cm and 90 kg mid. A midfielder of that size is always going to get a chance. He was solid in his debut year of 2018 averaging 15 disposals in 20 games.

Coyler has his knockers fair enough. Crowden is a 3rd year player like Brayshaw and cerra, so he counts as youth in my opinion.

Some how I reckon Tabs will have a half decent game. I can see him get 10-20 disposals and 2 or 3 goals this week. Brisbane will be focused on double teaming Lobb at FF.

I definitely think we should have selected Hogan however outside of that I’m happy they went more experienced.

I’m still interested in the development of Cerra, Brayshaw, Darcy, Duman, Schultz, Bewley, Logue, Cox and Banfield. We need to find a number of players out of that bunch if we’re ever going to challenge for a premiership so that’s enough youth for me. Hopefully Sturt is back next week.

Serong & Young will get chances soon hopefully Valente and Henry aren’t too far behind but I’m really hoping we balance the youth selections with enough experience to win as many games as possible this year.

From a personal perspective I would’ve liked to have 1 debutant in the side but I totally get why there isn’t. None of them have had the opportunity to earn a spot in the team. It’s not like any of them starred (or even close to it) in the preseason games. And obviously they haven’t been able to show what they can do at WAFL level. It’s unfortunate but it makes total sense.

I definitely think we should have selected Hogan however outside of that I’m happy they went more experienced.

I’m still interested in the development of Cerra, Brayshaw, Darcy, Duman, Schultz, Bewley, Logue, Cox and Banfield. We need to find a number of players out of that bunch if we’re ever going to challenge for a premiership so that’s enough youth for me. Hopefully Sturt is back next week.

Serong & Young will get chances soon hopefully Valente and Henry aren’t too far behind but I’m really hoping we balance the youth selections with enough experience to win as many games as possible this year.
There has been a recurrent theme in our matches over recent times - opposition sides regard us rightly as a young side and susceptible to being "roughed up" a bit and not able to take the heat as well.

Take the Essendon game as an example. The Bombers came out fiercely tackling and applied physical pressure to the extent we did not handle it very well. They went four goals up quite quickly. From there we lifted our effort and were able to hold them better. In the final term we lifted our intensity again, the tackle count evened out a bit, we were able to outplay them and almost pinched a win.

The point is we can expect sides to try and challenge us physically from the get-go. Having more experience allows us to deal with this a little better. But overall the younger ones need to learn about the effort required at this level and apply the physical pressure themselves.

Too many young players leaves us more vulnerable - it will take time to transition them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a personal perspective I would’ve liked to have 1 debutant in the side but I totally get why there isn’t. None of them have had the opportunity to earn a spot in the team. It’s not like any of them starred (or even close to it) in the preseason games. And obviously they haven’t been able to show what they can do at WAFL level. It’s unfortunate but it makes total sense.
I agree with all your points.

But the situation our current coach Justin Longmuir hasnt been a good one. He wasnt dealt a good hand.

You need to realise the WAFL is still hasnt been playing. Yeah, a debutant would of been good. But this is a 17 game season now. Debutants might come as soon as the next game vs Port if we get belted ve the lions tomorrow.

Worse case scenario, guys like serong and henry will get a debut game late in the season with 2-4 games to go if Freos finals chances are done by then.

I'm all for using this season to fast track some of the talented young players on our list and to get the long term injured ready to go as regular starters. Doesn't need to happen immediately, and with a rookie coach I am happy for him to take a gradual approach to building his side.

I think it's at quarter to 12 Saturday morning.

Hogan hasn't played a game for 355 days. For all the investment in him and the worry about pushing him out when he needed a rest last season, can we let him get through a game at a lower level where he can walk off if he feels anything uncomfortable before throwing our shiny big toy up front into the fire and hoping he doesn't melt?

I think it's at quarter to 12 Saturday morning.

Hogan hasn't played a game for 355 days. For all the investment in him and the worry about pushing him out when he needed a rest last season, can we let him get through a game at a lower level where he can walk off if he feels anything uncomfortable before throwing our shiny big toy up front into the fire and hoping he doesn't melt?

Bennell last played?

Bennell last played?

You've picked up the key point in a round about way, Melbourne might not even pay Harley $100,000 this year and didn't give up any draft value to get him. If he busts, it's like a rookie not working out.

If Hogan has another body break down we might never get him or the $1,400,000 of salary cap paid so far or the top ten draft pick back.

The cost of it not working out is far higher for us with Hogan than Melbourne with Bennell.

You've picked up the key point in a round about way, Melbourne might not even pay Harley $100,000 this year and didn't give up any draft value to get him. If he busts, it's like a rookie not working out.

If Hogan has another body break down we might never get him or the $1,400,000 of salary cap paid so far or the top ten draft pick back.

The cost of it not working out is far higher for us with Hogan than Melbourne with Bennell.

I know a grandma who was given a Royal Doulton dinner set when married and it was never removed from its original box, let alone eaten off. Sat in a sideboard cupboard for 50 years untouched.

How are the younger guys going to get games when Freo have injured players to come in?

Imagine if Hill and Acres weren't injured.

Freo does have a 6 day turn around in round 4. I'd like and except there be rotations. I don't want to gift games but some players such as Serong had intra club games that can't be ignored.

I’m kind of with Salim.

if lists go down by 25% Schulz will be right in the firing line. Serong is a Dion Prestia clone. Premiership half forward/ mid. Every game we don’t play him the longer his development. Hope he doesn’t go elsewhere like Prestia.

I’m wondering if Freo are doing this to conserve for GC. We get pumped and have wholesale changes coming in rnd 3. In comes Hogan, Serong, Hill and Young.
Why would we tank against Brisbane to conserve for Gold Coast? Makes no sense. There’s no way Freo are thinking they can’t win this week.

Hogan is playing the scratchie because he needs to find some touch without being thrown straight into a high-pressure environment. Hill didn’t get through training on Thursday so wouldn’t have been considered.
Serong and Young need to play against men to prove they are ready. It’s a big step up from U18s to playing a top 4 AFL side at their home ground, especially after a 3 month layoff from preseason match sims. They will play very soon and they will replace whoever can’t keep their spot, whether that be Colyer, Schultz, Banfield, Matera or a forced injury change.

I’m kind of with Salim.

if lists go down by 25% Schulz will be right in the firing line. Serong is a Dion Prestia clone. Premiership half forward/ mid. Every game we don’t play him the longer his development. Hope he doesn’t go elsewhere like Prestia.

I’m wondering if Freo are doing this to conserve for GC. We get pumped and have wholesale changes coming in rnd 3. In comes Hogan, Serong, Hill and Young.
Far out, 2 games in. Fyfe didn't debut till ANZAC day, was he hurt by not playing the first few in his first season? Clearly no.

We play Port next, so GC isn't until Round 4.
Personally i see us losing the first 3, and having to beat GC just to get away from talk of a Spoon unfortunately

Crappy team. How can we have so many stars unavailable when everyone has been sitting around doing f@k all for so long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back