Preview Round 2: Lions v Carlton Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Great point. I know that Vossy didn't look too crash hot after 5 matches. Leppa didn't really come good (relatively) until later in his career. A lot of people are ready to drop the hammer on a lot of our younger players and draftees, but many of our champion players didn't really break out until they had been playing for a number of years.

Probably not the best example. I thought he was best on ground behind Rod Owen in his debut game against Fitzroy. If memory serves he had a few more good performances late in the season.

Yeah he smashed it in his first game.

Probably not the best example. I thought he was best on ground behind Rod Owen in his debut game against Fitzroy. If memory serves he had a few more good performances late in the season.

I should have thought much harder about my examples. My point remains though that young players don't have to come right immediately.

Marc Murphy and Pendlebury were slow starters to their career.

Jonathan Brown didn't even touch the ball in his first game.

Jamie Charman went into the negatives in his first game.

We love 'em both.

Marc Murphy and Pendlebury were slow starters to their career.

Murphy was a gun in his first year, playing the first 13 games starting in the midfield until I think it was Robert Copeland, who was tagging him that day, buried Murphy in the Etihad Stadium in a brutal tackal. He didn't play again in 2006.

Happy to give Polec a new home. Will be a gun.

why do brisbane always save their shittest performances for the tankers:confused:

my god they had better play properly next time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the debate here had been about if the players had run out of puff or had simply stopped trying.

Yeah, poorly worded from me. I saw an obvious drop in intensity and run from our boys during the second but I wouldn't blame someone who watched us in the 3rd and saw us as just plain crap.

I am sorry but are writing off Polec already?? I wouldn't be writing off Watts yet either. Some players take longer than others to develop that doesn't make it the wrong selection. Also playing in a winning team really helps with younger players looker better than they are IMO. Be patient.

Bloody stupid people writing off polec...he had a quiet game against the blues but so did everyone. A bit hard for a young outside player yo impact the game when the inside guys get slammed.

Polec just needs max gsmes tovget used to the pace of afl....much like how freo worked games into hill...or how redden was given games

Everyone take a deep breath. No one on this thread has written off Polec.

The people proclaiming we shouldn't write off Polec are just responding to other posts proclaiming that we shouldn't write off Polec.

If Polec is playing like that on a consistent basis at the end of the year then I will have some very serious concerns about him. As it is, it is the beginning of the year and he had a poor game in a well beaten side against a team that shut down our midfield very effectively.

I have to admit though it would be much easier to feel good about him if he had played better to date. He has played on the wing or HFF and has really struggled to get open. The possessions he has gotten have mostly been contested possessions supposedly a weakness of him. He and the coaching staff need to work on getting him to run to better spots and get the ball in a bit of space where he can use his classy skills.

If Polec is playing like that on a consistent basis at the end of the year then I will have some very serious concerns about him. As it is, it is the beginning of the year and he had a poor game in a well beaten side against a team that shut down our midfield very effectively.

I have to admit though it would be much easier to feel good about him if he had played better to date. He has played on the wing or HFF and has really struggled to get open. The possessions he has gotten have mostly been contested possessions supposedly a weakness of him. He and the coaching staff need to work on getting him to run to better spots and get the ball in a bit of space where he can use his classy skills.

People are concerned because he hasn't been able to stamp himself on a game, but in saying that, he is known as an outside player. Playing at HF isn't easy, and he just hasn't been able to find space. I like that he has still been able to be involved in the game though, and still get a little bit of ball. He just hasn't been able to get space to use that left foot of his. He is only going to get better as he adjusts to it, and he needs to play AFL level to do this. I'm happy for him to learn on the job. I still think he is a player that can make an impact in 1 qtr. Hard to judge him in the blues game, as nearly everyone was terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back