Autopsy Round 2: Loss to Geelong by 25 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

Our back 6 were just woeful today- all of them, from FB and up. This was bruise-free football at its worst.

We just don't have enough big bodies in our side to be competitive over the full journey. A quarter, or even 2 quarters, but then the brick wall.

For example, Paparone and Close try hard, but need to seek urgent advice from James Hird & Associates about how to beef up. More size, much more size.

We were thrashed in the ruck- again they just had too much size. Where do they get these super-sized, non injury-prone blokes from? Speaking of the ruck, I honestly don't know why, eg Leuenberger, can't point out to the adjudicating official that, seeing his jumper is grabbed at nearly every contest, and/or the opposing ruck runs his fist across his face at the same time, then I intend to reciprocate unless things are sorted. Even so, Berger's contribution, and West's, were way below par. Cream puff stuff again. Makes it very hard for the likes of Moloney etc.

Officially our best player now, by some margin, is Mayes. I hope we have the contract locked up solid and even then need to avoid shifty salesmen going by the name of Eddie or Mick or similar.

Those seeking solace from the Reserves will be sadly disappointed. Only saw the first half, but nothing much there is all she wrote. Maguire trying hard, as was Raines- forget the rest and I mean forget. Harwood running around freely so I don't know what the crap was about him being injured. Doing OK as well, but probably wouldn't fit the cream puff profile we seem to be concentrating on building in the seniors.

Speaking of which, saw Staker holding court outside the main gates- looked absolutely immaculate from the knees up, as per, but the brace on his left [?] leg somewhat detracted from the overall. Won't be seeing his handsome, unmarked and softly tanned visage for a substantial period is my guess.

Was a cracking game. Great to be back at the Gabba offering friendly advice to the likes of Hawkins and the ever lovable umpires.:thumbsu:

West really struggled at centre bounces and the difference there between him and Leuey was hugely apparent.

Squizzy was awesome in his first full game and Aish again was really good. Always very exciting when first year players contribute so well.

I nearly teared up when blacky finished his lap. The boys' guard of honour an Blacky's final wave was right in front of me. The emotions nearly got the better of him too. I regard myself really lucky to have been right there at that moment in football history.
Right in front of you?

Like many, I thought Aish looked composed again and Taylor added some zip.

Brown made a good contribution although his constant fumbling and inability to take a contested mark are a concern.

Hanley was a heap better this week, but although Rich showed his class and composure by being clean with his possessions, I think he does need to be used delivering into the forward line as the season progresses. Hopefully Harwood can return and allow Rich to push up more.

Its a shame we have such a hard start to the year. Would have been nice to meet some easier teams early to get a win on the board and some confidence into the boys.

Need to get players ready to crumb Brown. Unless he is out on a lead and its a solid kick to the chest its usually going to spill - especially when we're playing teams of the calibre of Hawthorn and Geelong (nowdays most of those defenders have his number). Some of the service dished up to him can make it very tough coupled with the fact he has to do it alone without another dominant forward.

Golby has potential IMO but the mistakes he makes are similar every time - makes me cry.

Taylor is a tough little cookie, will run and run and is happy to get his hands dirty.

Youngsters Mayes and Aish - glad we drafted them! I think Aish is only going to improve, makes me very excited.

Would have been great to have Rocky out there.

I honestly cannot see Lisle being in our best 22 when we gain maturity and push for the higher echelons of the ladder.

POBT I don't usually notice the more subtle things at the footy, but Paparone's ability to cover ground especially defensively had me taking notice. This year against lesser players his efforts will be rewarded much more often and more visibly I think.

Anyone know Paparone's contract status? Didn't someone round here say they have on good authority he will be gone at the end of the year?

although Rich showed his class and composure by being clean with his possessions, I think he does need to be used delivering into the forward line as the season progresses.

The only thing I would question is where he will have more impact if our forward stocks are one of our weaker elements. If Rich can get the ball cleanly to the likes of Mayes, Aish, Zorko, Green or Rockliff then those guys have the ability to run inside 50 and create their own opportunity's and find targets. I love seeing Rich kick goals but I agree with the role he has been given at the moment.

Brown did very well to create contests today. Was never going to beat Harry Taylor, but brought it to ground more often than not, Lynchy style. As Elixuh says, the young forwards just need to take advantage of it more. Greenie gave it a solid crack, but he needed to be more accurate, and he needs friends.

Got on the Super-Mega-Score-Board with this one:

Only saw a couple of those today and that was one of them! Good to see Haso a few rows back on the smartphone, posting on BF no doubt.

Only saw a couple of those today and that was one of them! Good to see Haso a few rows back on the smartphone, posting on BF no doubt.
I was told it was a 'Bob'.

300px-3x02_For_British_Eyes_Only_%2856%29.png

I reckon even when he's not getting the ball, he's dragging an opposition body out of the backline and making it easier for Mayes et al to get that forwardline space.
Tough and fearless.
Like that.
Got ourselves a non home sick goodie. Hopefully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between Papparone from the end of last year to this is immense.

He really looked last year like he didn't understand the game or his role in it, and was just running all over the place, this year he just looks like he gets it, and has added a little bit of physicality to his game. Love to see him re-signed before the bye.

Only managed to watch 2 and a half quarters today, good effort by the lads.

What I have noticed from the two games this season is what we are going to miss in our forward line when Browny moves on- smarts. He might be getting on and wearing out, but with the possible exception of Mayes and a fit McGrath, he is about the only player in our side that knows how to be an effective point-scoring forward.

Today on several occasions in the second quarter, Green received the ball at half forward with plenty of time and attacked the fifty with pace. About three times in a row he headed for goal only for it to be marked on the line or touched through. On every occassion, he had players in front of him and not once did someone lead back towards him. I think on most occasions it was Close. I don't want to slam the guy but if he had of stopped and tracked back towards Greeny, he would have either received a chest mark in about 20m of space, or at least drawn his direct opponent with him, allowing Green's shots to make the distance untouched.

About 5 minutes later, Zorko was in a similar position. He was approaching the fifty with pace only this time, Browny propped and lead laterally across the fifty towards him. His direct opponent followed, which opened up the gaping hole for Mayes to lead into, and Zorko nailed him with the pass. Perfect forward movement, allowing plenty of space for the delivery. Browny didn't get a stat, but his movement to create space in our forward line was and is crucial. I know a lot of recruitment and general focus in footy these days is athleticism; I just wonder if experience can give the more athletic-type players the same nous, and if they can become as effective, particularly in the forward line. Time will tell.

For a Geelong example, Taylor Hunt took a shot from outside 50 that bounced through, about 5m away from Merrett. In the couple of seconds prior to the kick, Tom Hawkins propped in his running, and made a move back towards the approaching Hunt. In that time, Merrett turned to follow the lead, only for the ball to sail over their heads and beat him to goal. Simple act, but oh so effective.

Last edited:
Thing that sticks out with Mayes, is he is just smart. He did a really nice double lead for his 2nd goal I think it was, we had the ball coming down the wing, had free players everywhere, but instead on panicing, Mayes lead back towards goal, created space about 40m out, then doubled back into and took basically an uncontested mark. We had 2 other players who could have also lead into that space he created. A less talented player would have just lead towards the ball kicker. He just knows how and where to lead, and we need to look for this kid more often going forward. He is a perfect medium hit up option when we arent getting marks on the lead. Bewick I think can also play this role, along with Ash McGrath.

If we are going to be smarter with the ball going inside 50, it needs to be to not only the talls. We need to be kicking it To our medium sized players, especially 30-50m. Tall targets should be deeper where crumbs are more dangerous and the ball can also go OOB for a throw in and a chance for a quick snap and goal.

Thing that sticks out with Mayes, is he is just smart. He did a really nice double lead for his 2nd goal I think it was, we had the ball coming down the wing, had free players everywhere, but instead on panicing, Mayes lead back towards goal, created space about 40m out, then doubled back into and took basically an uncontested mark.

That was golden.

The disappointment was the third quarter when the wheels fell of the game plan a bit. We look better in the middle this year but a lot of work still to do at either end of the ground. The game plan is showing sone glimpses of being bedded down but still inconsistent under pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you Dylan. I would have by far preferred Goose over Lisle.

Might be way off the ball, but I'm thinking this will be Goose's last year whether he chooses to hang up the boots or is forced out and Leppa is looking at our younger players.

----> wait when is Goose contracted with us until?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back