Autopsy Round 2: Loss to Geelong by 25 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the high possession game of Melbourne it seems the Lions are also susceptible to pressure from the better teams, who don't give them the time and space some of the lesser teams do. Having said that second game in, hopefully it clicks sooner than later.

A big part of why we saw fierce attack on the footy last year IMO is because we weren't winning it enough. I think that the players have re-focused on the footy which means we are improved at the contest.

The way we bottled Geelong up for relatively long periods inside their defensive 50 was classic Ross Lyon play. On several occasions yesterday, the ball was deep inside Geelong's defensive 50 and we had 3 players loose between centre and the 50 metre arc ready to cut off the outlet ball. We weren't playing in one half of the ground, we were playing in one third of the ground, completely choking Geelong. It was a press like I haven't seen from the Lions before. I have only seen Ross Lyon coached sides live a couple of times and they are the only sides I can remember who push up as high.

I don't think we'll see that full-on strangle type of play ... we'll get a balance as the year progresses. We have too much talent in the midfield to be stagnant and going down the sidelines, and I think Leppa is aware of this.

We're capable of doing the quick corridor thing, it's just that we now seem to be able to have the power to choose when to do that rather than just giving it a shot at all costs.

First hands on the ball seems to be our goal this year and we achieved that against two of the best teams in the league. It's just what we do with then that we'll need to tidy up.

If we win more hard ball and clearances the free kick ledger will balance out a bit. Always more of a chance to win a free if u are first to the ball.

Problem is that this weekend we were very competitive on first possession yet kept coughing it up. Leppa was clearly frustrated about that.

Can't add too much, but I can live with this. 2 minutes in the second & 2 missed easy shots with the cats going coast to coast & that was the ball game. But after the last fortnight, within the club, we know we can match it with the best. They have no improvement - we do.

Sam Mayes is every thing we thought PattyK was going to be, & more. Much more.
James Aish is an absolute gun. Was surprised with the depth of his kicking when needed.
Lewis Taylor is a natural footballer in the mould of Rocky. In time other clubs will fear our mosquito fleet with Greeny & Zorks becoming topliners in their own right.
On the gigglebox Barry Hall gave JB the biggest wrap for his workrate - providing options & creating space for others. Teaching our younguns & still contributing.

And last we won the free kick count because we hunted the ball in a manner not seen for a long while - excellent. But how the free for contact to the lower leg, against Moloney to Selwood 2 minutes into the game was adjudicated, was the biggest joke I have seen since Rocky was done for headbutting someone's knee.

HAH! I'm a good 6 seats adjacent to James North (well out of frame of that photo) and while a dude dropped a hotdog under my seat this week. I recall no chips.

It feels like the barrier between the virtual world and the real one has definitely broken down in the last week you've definitely got me confused with someone else. I'm a bit skinner and much less bearded than the bloke sitting in front of you. :p

That said, I now know who you are. ;) Nice to put a name to the face (and spirited voice)!

I was led astray.......that guy with the beard didn't seem "your type" (in a manner of speaking).....he's a kinda the quiet brooding type, which didn't really fit your expansive and expressive style anyways.

See ya at the footy next time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Geelong board seems to be reacting with expected outrage.

Regardless of the fact the MRP probably got this one right given that Rich was visibly injured...it is a lucky dip each and every week.

When you listen to the preliminary explanation , it's pretty clear that if you initiate unnecessary contact that results in a head clash you are liable for any injury that occurs. Both the Fyfe and Hunt incidences have resulted in injury to their opponent, so it's pretty clear cut really.

I always have a fair bit of sympathy for most "negligent" charges......the breakneck speed at which the game is played means that a split-second misjudgement can backfire big time. So I reckon both Hunt and Fyfe have been pretty unlucky........ basically....wrong place, wrong time

However the "rule" is there...................... you contravene it you cop the penalty.

Last edited:
Hunt didn't do anything wrong though? AFL is getting like soccer... soon won't be able to even look at someone without a report
#bringbackbartlett

You'd rather lose a young star because he goes hard at the ball and his opponents are confident that they don't need to worry about being reported?

Well you complained that players get reported for incidental head contact.

The side effect of removing that kind of report is that we'll see less care taken by players and more head injuries.

So I'm asking you: Would you be happy to sacrifice the health of Rich or Aish, so that you can have more head contact go unreported?

Hunt didn't do anything wrong though? AFL is getting like soccer... soon won't be able to even look at someone without a report
#bringbackbartlett

I disagree.

Two individuals in the last round have been named and shamed for staging and rightly so. Evidence that the AFL does not condone this type of behaviour. In soccer, staging is a way of life.

That's different to taking steps to make the game safer to play.

I feel genuine sympathy for the likes of Fyfe and Hunt for the reasons I've outlined previously. But I have more empathy for the victims of "negligent" acts than I do for the perpetrators and so the "rules" must be enforced. Otherwise you potentially get incidents like that NRL guy (McKinnon) being at risk of becoming a paraplegic through the "negligent" actions of others and everyone just shrugging their shoulders and putting it down to just "bad luck".

I don't wan't to speak for karix but I think that's what he's saying

At least one of those fellas that executed that tackle on McKinnon are in serious s**t....and rightly so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back