Preview Round 2 - Port Adelaide vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luckily and probably in part due to Pav we now have Fyfe who appears to be just as professional.

Coincidentally both players were playing AFL a month into their first season after being drafted

Geelong and Hawthorn don't tend to debut their draftees until they're ready.
I don't think that's correct - Hawthorn debuted a host of draftees early in Clarkson's tenure, from 2005-2008. From the top of my head, Roughead, Franklin, Lewis, Birchall, Bailey and Rioli all played in their first year on the list. Even those who didn't end up playing in their premierships and were quickly sent to scrap heap got a go. They were an exceedingly young footy side, which is why when they upset the Cats in 2008 they were expected to form a dynasty.

They haven't in later years simply because it has been too good a side to break in. But when they were going through a full rebuild they threw their young kids into the deep end.

As much I think quite a lot of us are disappointed in our team selection Port generally don't do very well when they are expected to win (which they seem to a lot more than they actually do). We could still win this. We just need our top 12 players or so to have a cracker game. Unlikely but possible. If we do, Port will for the third year in a row, realise that they aren't very good. They are almost as good as Richmond at building up hope - they are just better at coming up with excuses for their sub-standard performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dual narrative that Ross has been speaking about is rubbish. Compared to what the Dogs displayed tonight we are miles away from competing. I thought we realised we were in a rebuild last year. Holding out hope that we aren't is just delaying the inevitable. Loosen the shackles a bit and our players might play some intuitive football and win a few games.
This is the bit I've been ranting about since 2015. A fearless young kid like Logue might grab the ball and take the game on the way Hill & Mora did in their first years & hopefully inspire/embarrass some of the established players who have been paralysed with doubt for nearly 2 years. He might not but its the endless repeating of the same thing over and over and expecting it to change thats killing me.

Freo win by 11 point. All the star players fire .

I don't think that's correct - Hawthorn debuted a host of draftees early in Clarkson's tenure, from 2005-2008. From the top of my head, Roughead, Franklin, Lewis, Birchall, Bailey and Rioli all played in their first year on the list. Even those who didn't end up playing in their premierships and were quickly sent to scrap heap got a go. They were an exceedingly young footy side, which is why when they upset the Cats in 2008 they were expected to form a dynasty.

They haven't in later years simply because it has been too good a side to break in. But when they were going through a full rebuild they threw their young kids into the deep end.
The game has changed a lot since 2005. Remember McCartney's comeback from the Bali bombings? He sat on the bench until the 3rd quarter. That was in 2003. Can you imagine a coach keeping a player on the bench until the 3rd quarter (voluntarily)? Rookies in the mid 2000s could be benched and only play late in the game. Sometimes not at all.

____

Perhaps the selection process that the players asked for was that if you are in the team you get a chance. Not in 1 week out the next. Maybe integrity in selection is about getting a few games.

The game has changed a lot since 2005. Remember McCartney's comeback from the Bali bombings? He sat on the bench until the 3rd quarter. That was in 2003. Can you imagine a coach keeping a player on the bench until the 3rd quarter (voluntarily)? Rookies in the mid 2000s could be benched and only play late in the game. Sometimes not at all.
I'm not sure what a single game in 2003 in a unique circumstance has to do with games under a different coach in 2005. Or that coach's methods in 2008 (when he debuted Rioli).

____

Perhaps the selection process that the players asked for was that if you are in the team you get a chance. Not in 1 week out the next. Maybe integrity in selection is about getting a few games.

So the tail wagging the dog then?

I'm not sure what a single game in 2003 in a unique circumstance has to do with games under a different coach in 2005. Or that coach's methods in 2008 (when he debuted Rioli).

You were talking about Hawks debuting a host of draftees in 2005-8. I was pointing out (by way of example) that the game is very different to a decade ago.

Hawthorn debuted a host of draftees early in Clarkson's tenure, from 2005-2008. From the top of my head, Roughead, Franklin, Lewis, Birchall, Bailey and Rioli all played in their first year on the list.

You were talking about Hawks debuting a host of draftees in 2005-8. I was pointing out (by way of example) that the game is very different to a decade ago.
By way of comparison, Lyon began his coaching career in 07. How often has he fielded a side younger than the Hawks 2008 side? He was a Clarkson contemporary at the time Clarkson won his first premiership. What was Lyon's view then?

Was he as permissive towards playing young and inexperienced players as Clarkson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back