Preview Round 2 - Port Adelaide vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want rules of thumb, I want solid evidence. Are debutants more prone to injury than players with multiple years experience?
I don't have science to back my argument up but IMO trying to use common sense, a more hardened AFL body that has had years of collisions would be less prone to a shoulder dislocation than a first year player. A more experienced player would know how to position his body and brace for contact in a contest to minimise injury than a first year player.

I don't have science to back my argument up but IMO trying to use common sense, a more hardened AFL body that has had years of collisions would be less prone to a shoulder dislocation than a first year player. A more experienced player would know how to position his body and brace for contact in a contest to minimise injury than a first year player.
How do you get that experience? Does playing in the WAFL teach it?

Having an individual program from the club to build an AFL ready body over a few preseasons along with playing in the WAFL against more mature bodies than junior football would teach it. Again that's just my opinion

Is football non contact prior to entering the AFL system? You learn to protect yourself by the time you're about 14...

It's a risky business, isn't it? Look at Melbourne. Did the decent thing by debuting one of their new recruits in round 1, only for the poor kid to dislocate his shoulder midway through the 1st quarter and take no further part. Out for 4 months now it's been reported.
Still better than losing ballas in JLT isnt it :straining: . Isnt ballas play many year of AfL footy?

Is football non contact prior to entering the AFL system? You learn to protect yourself by the time you're about 14...
Ask them to explain ballas injury loh.suban, d Pearce and sherriden seldom dislocated their shoulders must be damn soft.

You only play against people of the same age and generally same physique when you're 14. Totally different to playing against much bigger hardened bodies

You only play against people of the same age and generally same physique when you're 14. Totally different to playing against much bigger hardened bodies
As you say it's a commonsensical thing.
All the AFL clubs include it in their calculations.

I'm sure all the other round 1 draftee debutants throughout history were thoroughly dislocated from head to toe as well.

Oh.
His question was if first year players are more prone to injury. Read his post again.

His question was if first year players are more prone to injury. Read his post again.
I am more referring to Crippa implying it was a direct result of playing a young player. The rest is fair, young players probably do get injured more easily but that is by no means a valid reason to not play them.

I think that if young players are injured more it would be as a result of their recovery. Almost every player answers that the professional recovery is something that they learn from the leaders at the club.

Meticulous preparation and obsessive recovery.

I'd love to be able to chart a decade of data of something even as simple as hours sleeping against performance.

I think that if young players are injured more it would be as a result of their recovery. Almost every player answers that the professional recovery is something that they learn from the leaders at the club.

Meticulous preparation and obsessive recovery..

This is where Pav's loss hurts quite a bit. Those terms you used describe him to a tee, probably the most professional player we've ever had in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meticulous preparation and obsessive recovery.

I'd love to be able to chart a decade of data of something even as simple as hours sleeping against performance.
Doesn't that also come with experience? Which brings me back to the original question, are young players more injury prone? Simple answer, yes.

As you've said, and as a runner, I see so many new runners get injured because they try and do too much too fast and don't listen to their bodies or coaches, that they should gradually improve their load to avoid injury.

Still better than losing ballas in JLT isnt it :straining: . Isnt ballas play many year of AfL footy?

Not sure how ethical it would be to select a debutant on the principle that if someone is going to get injured in pre-season, we'd rather it was a young kid than Ballas.

Anyway, people seem to be missing the point I was trying to make, There's a Zen story that would have illustrated it better, but it didn't quite fit the general hysteria in this thread.

Yes up against ryder and trengove!! The shame is Apeness and clarke are both injured = Griff
Would be better off with 1 or the other with someone pinch hitting. If neither are good enough to ruck most of the game solo then don't play either of them lol We'd have a better chance as we'd be less predictable and quicker.

scon - every club is going to have a bunch of fans that are critical of everything and rarely happy unless they win a premiership. However I think we are starting to see the group of disillusioned supporters expanding considerably - and people (like me) who have been incredibly supportive of the club's decisions (eg recruiting Balic) and suffered through the disaster that was 2016 without much complaint, are becoming less convinced that our club is making positive progress to become more competitive.
You've encapsulated it very well right from that first paragraph.

We're arguing amongst ourselves about the why and wherefores, but the underlying concern is evident right across the board where it hasn't been as much in the past.

Nice post.

For strains and things like that maybe, but not contact injuries like shoulder dislocations. That would be part luck and part less developed musculature protecting the joint.

Did everyone hear that story during the week about American coaches saying Tinder is improving the performance of their athletes? Reason being they can just 'order in' now instead of spending time at clubs to pick up, resulting in them getting more sleep. Classic!

Pav thinks 18 is to young to be drafted . Thinks they are to immature in their minds and bodies to cope with the pressures. He thinks the draft age should be raised to 19 or 20 and the AFL should have a reserves comp and an elite 18 and under comp like the American college system. He says that he was to immature when first drafted to embrace all that was needed to succeed in the AFL. He says he has witnessed the youngsters struggling with the rigours of the AFL. If Pav thinks 18 is to young to play AFL thats good enough for me.;)

This is where Pav's loss hurts quite a bit. Those terms you used describe him to a tee, probably the most professional player we've ever had in that regard.

Luckily and probably in part due to Pav we now have Fyfe who appears to be just as professional.

So much bullshit on here. If you are good enough you are old enough. Always was, always will be.
The advent of these overthinkers is killing this. People keep kids out for the sake of it. It's a joke. There's almost a mandatory thing that says you must wait x amount of time before debuting – that amount of time is doubled when you're drafted to the Dockers. The fact Freo were the third or fourth oldest team on the weekend is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back