Round 2 review

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, here we go. Pretty hard to do this year. I apologise if it looks like I'm going after the same people! It's not personal, it's just the players. Enjoy, and again feel free to comment. Cheers on those that do.

13. Animals run wild - Jack Viney (Melbourne) – Some clever drafting by Drew. Probably couldn’t decide on what to take out of Viney and Selwood, and took them both meaning one will most likely be a BM and the other IM. I think he has Treloar as well so it’d be one of the strong three-pronged mids going around if they lined up that way. Well drafted.

14. Mozzie Bites - Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne) – Probably Mozzies’ most important selection after a couple of seasons with the worst ruck stocks in the business. Locking in Preuss quite late consolidates rucks and a bargain price.

15. The Ladyboys - Seb Ross (St Kilda) – Cracking pick. In hindsight, I should have supported WAG’s push for 5 carries, as Seb is a bonafide OM gun. A great selection getting, what I consider the hardest position to fill, at a bargain price.

16. South-Eastern Polar Bears - Marc Murphy (Carlton) – Solid pick by sr20. Gets some great OM numbers and goes hard in junk time. Polar Bears will break even with the top OM teams (Ladyboys, ARW et al), and smash those with s**t Oms (Bites).

17. City Oval Plovers - Bryce Gibbs (Adelaide) – The big run of Oms continues with Gibbs a solid pick. I can’t imagine his numbers doing a hell of a lot differently at the Crows, LFFL speak, so smart thinking by Jordie for grabbing one of the few remaining elitish while they’re still there. Clever drafting.

18. The Cheetahs - Jack Riewoldt (Richmond) – the best forward available and drafted against the grain. Should be safe for 40s with a boost in marks. Hard to fault. Well done.

19. South West Dragons - Brad Ebert (Port Adelaide) – Hmmmm, I think Ebert is a classic case of statistics don’t tell the full story. I had him last year so this is my experience; when you play him tackler, he doesn’t perform, when you play him OM, he doesn’t get clearances. He was also the player that alternated between emergency and best 11 in alternating weeks; the classic LFFL fringe player. I think he’s the kind of player that if he drops, you take him if he’s there. I’m going to grab some stats so Pie doesn’t think I’m going hard at him; 5 or fewer tackles = 9 games (I reckon I had him named tackler for most of those). That does mean though, when he does tackle, he tackles big. Gets a touch under 5 clearances so a candidate for OM or even BM as well, but is a middle of the road. Be interesting to see what Pie is seeing him as …

20. Outback Meerkats - Stephen Coniglio (GWS) – Interesting pick. Continstar will be hoping for a return to 2016 output and will probably get it. Numbers not that dissimilar to Ebert’s, though you’d expect more upside on Coniglio. I don’t mind the selection and could probably put him in a range of posies. Decent.

21. Draconian Knights - Zach Tuohy (Geelong) – An elite defender. Possibly the best rule change over the offseason was the R50s, meaning we have a brand new type to look out for. I for one was slow to pick up on their (backman’s) value but Danoz read the play well. In a round where most of the selections going prior were middies, he’s snapped up an LFFL elite.

22. Shinboner Spirit - Ben McEvoy (Hawthorn) – Decent rucks are a rare commodity in the LFFL and getting one that doesn’t share ruck duties elevates their value significantly. In 2016, Big Boy was around that mark, and the 1 point in marks increase helps even more. While Big Boy was in career best form last year, it’s gotta be remembered the Johhny Ceglar was recouping from a knee. it’s yet to be seen what Clarko has planned for Ceglar's return to Digbee. FWIW, in 2015, Ceglar had divided Hawk fans on who was its number one ruckman. McEvoy will be starting ruck, though, so if he’s going solo, it’s a very good pick.

23. Awesome Fourthorn - Michael Walters (Fremantle) – Hmmm, I put him on my list for round 8 with Wright and Wingard, obviously thinking he was still there. Just too early, IMO. I don’t think there’s a heap separating about 20 forwards this year, so I think their pick value regresses. I see him as your 3rd forward type.

24. Broome Bears - Dayne Beams (Brisbane) – OM, BM, utility, you can play him just about anywhere, and with Rockpig’s defection, he could even get better numbers BUT and this for me is a significant BUT. He is so injury prone. Would I have taken him here? Nope, I wouldn’t have had the balls, but if you like a player, sometimes you just go early, like Pie and Brad Ebert J. Problem for Nuggets is he needs to wait another 24 picks to have another crack at him. He would have gone before then, though, as quite a few would have pounced. Me though, I would have taken my chances at waiting 24 goes.

Last edited:
Ebert and Zorko to be tackler/utility depending on form. I went different with my drafting this year as last year I went on upside. This year I just went bugger it I'll pick best available in the position I need for the starting picks. I'm not a huge Ebert fan, but I pick ones I like that are reaching usually so figured eh I'll go boring but safe.

Really hoping Murphys output will only increase with Gibbs gone.

Always has solid numbers either way though, so was happy he was still available.

Really hoping Murphys output will only increase with Gibbs gone.

Always has solid numbers either way though, so was happy he was still available.
They could always drop considering a good proportion of the time it was Gibbs who was kicking it 30 metres across goals so Murph could mark and stat up, before sending it back 30 metres the other way!

I’m gonna go there.... I thought Goldstein was a stinker of a pick at that stage.

There’s just so many variables. If he’s cooked, they play Preuss. Preuss might well stud up and you’ll be fairly happy, but you’ll have Goldstein on the bench when you could have had Seb Ross in your lineup. Then there’s the doomsday, Mozzie Bites premiership tilt ending scenario: North play both. On recent evidence of the last month of the season, this is such a high chance of happening if they take the viewpoint that they have to play Preuss but Goldstein is earning his spot. And then there’s even another variable. North play the Majak man, which has happened at least in 1 game the last 2 seasons. This will probably be in an elimination final for you, and you’ll be playing Bailey Dale in the ruck.

Good luck for the season though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I enjoy the feedback most from supporters of specific clubs most, eg, Drew and Worms for North.

Like I mentioned, Goldstein was an important selection for us, but not a pick of the round. In the past few years, our rucks have been Zac Smith sharing ruck duties with about 3 other Cats, McEvoy sharing with Cegs, Leuenberger when he was injury prone Leuenberger, Sam Naismith and Tom Hickey. They all alternated in providing a sound 15 to 20 point negative differential in most games we played.

I was going a ruckman round 2 pretty much regardless as it's a hard position to stem bleeding of points, and there are some players that are more capable of others in pounding out big numbers. I could only see three there, who could fulfil that requirement before I had a team full of Toby Nakervasises and Johnny Ceglars again. Of those three, they all had question marks, so it was never going to be a pick of the round; Gawn and Grundy were gone long ago. I considered Stefan Martin, but when Archie plays, which he does often, Stef's stats suffer so he was my 2nd priority. Bellchambers; I considered him strongly and was close to taking him. Leuenburger had achilles and hammy injuries in 2016, but Bellchambers is probably decently safe but I just don't enjoy watching him. Was mine if Goldstein went, though. If those three went, I would have once again been forced to load my team with about four second-string rucks and shafted a third of the competition.

I don't see Goldstein falling off a cliff, and if he does, I'm backing Preuss to get the job done. Like 75% of the LFFL competition, I'm going into the 2017 season with 2 rucks from the same club. I'm happy with that strategy.

I enjoy the feedback most from supporters of specific clubs most, eg, Drew and Worms for North.

Like I mentioned, Goldstein was an important selection for us, but not a pick of the round. In the past few years, our rucks have been Zac Smith sharing ruck duties with about 3 other Cats, McEvoy sharing with Cegs, Leuenberger when he was injury prone Leuenberger, Sam Naismith and Tom Hickey. They all alternated in providing a sound 15 to 20 point negative differential in most games we played.

I was going a ruckman round 2 pretty much regardless as it's a hard position to stem bleeding of points, and there are some players that are more capable of others in pounding out big numbers. I could only see three there, who could fulfil that requirement before I had a team full of Toby Nakervasises and Johnny Ceglars again. Of those three, they all had question marks, so it was never going to be a pick of the round; Gawn and Grundy were gone long ago. I considered Stefan Martin, but when Archie plays, which he does often, Stef's stats suffer so he was my 2nd priority. Bellchambers; I considered him strongly and was close to taking him. Leuenburger had achilles and hammy injuries in 2016, but Bellchambers is probably decently safe but I just don't enjoy watching him. Was mine if Goldstein went, though. If those three went, I would have once again been forced to load my team with about four second-string rucks and shafted a third of the competition.

I don't see Goldstein falling off a cliff, and if he does, I'm backing Preuss to get the job done. Like 75% of the LFFL competition, I'm going into the 2017 season with 2 rucks from the same club. I'm happy with that strategy.

I took Stef Martin the round before so if you considered him well...

I took Stef Martin the round before so if you considered him well...
So he was crossed from my list when you took him, doesn't change that I considered him the 3rd best available ruck, and behind Bellchambers and Goldstein, hence if you hadn't have taken him and he was still available with the other two at pick 13, he would have kept sliding.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was strongly considering taking Goldstein had he made it to my pick, but I'm actually happy with the way it panned out getting Murphy and then Bellchambers in the following round. So I like the pick, because it saved me heartache and strengthened my midfield unit

I figured with Beams (like you said) that he would be gone by my next set of picks, so had to take him there. He had a "better" run with injuries last year and if he can string a whole season together, he could be the best performed player for my team even with Dusty in. I also realistically needed mids at this pick given I didn't take any in the pre-draft draft.

On a side note keep the reviews coming I'm enjoying them.

Very interesting the discussion around Goldstein. Was regarded as one of the best ruck men entering his prime only 3 years ago. I recall trading with WAG in season one pretty much Gary Ablett for Todd Goldstein (well maybe WAG also threw in a few sweeteners). I didnt look back and have had Goldstein as my first picked carry over every year since.

However due to multiple on and off field issues Goldstein is no longer the number one ruck at north melbourne. The problems will start there for you amos and sorry to say but I wouldn't have picked him within the first 7 rounds of the draft. Preuss will be great but not next year and he will be more suited to the utility position due to his physicality (think Shane Mumford). Further issues then present that Preuss will need either Majak or Goldstein to ruck 40% next year reducing his hitouts per game.

I hope Goldstein proves me wrong, but I think next year he will play a supporting role before retiring at the end of the year.

Yeah as good as Goldy has been I think amos is the only coach who would have picked him ahead of Stef Martin (could be wrong, but when North fans are saying that he's not worth the punt it's not great).

Goldy was a gun in his peak but he's certainly on a downward trend now.

Agree that Goldy was a surprise pick, however he has the potential to be an elite and you don't come 3rd without taking a few calculated risks. Plus he has Preuss in the wings to cover the inevitable loss. And only true North supporters would think that Majak "32 games in 5 years" Daw would have any impact on their respective output. ;)

C'mon amos - a blind monkey could critique the first two rounds. Looking forward to rounds 3 - 5!

It's a great game,

This year will be about learning the ropes and then next year you can hit the draft and know what's going on!
Yeah it often takes a season to learn Mitchell5 . I think Jordie, you made a semi or thereabouts in your first season and then went undefeated in your second year? So the improvement is possible once you get the hang of it.

Don't believe 'em mate. I've been here for years and I'm still trying to get the hang of it!
You're like that draftee that burst onto the scene and then every year we're waiting for you to breakout and take the step from good to elite and seven years down the track we're wondering, will this be your year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back