Autopsy Round 2: Richmond v Footscray @ Punt Road - 12pm Saturday, 16/04/16

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been on a footy blackout after Friday night (so much for being cool and collected after an expected loss, in the cold light of day total devastation hits) but am I reading this thread right? The Richmond VFL team actually beat Footscray by 10 goals? Can our seniors have what the reserves are having, please?

I've been on a footy blackout after Friday night (so much for being cool and collected after an expected loss, in the cold light of day total devastation hits) but am I reading this thread right? The Richmond VFL team actually beat Footscray by 10 goals? Can our seniors have what the reserves are having, please?
What, Craig McRae?

This dude can seriously coach......

So a gameplan and a decent coach. Have to wait to 2019 for that

do you think anyone will notice if he and Dimma do a switcharoo?
God I wish! I've always supported Dimma but this year my support has been stretched as far as it will go, I would kill for a new senior coach. :(

God I wish! I've always supported Dimma but this year my support has been stretched as far as it will go, I would kill for a new senior coach. :(
we're in rd.4 its too early to make a definitive call on him (especially based on what he seems to be trying to - short term pain for long term gain) but yeah it isn't exactly easy to support him at the moment.

Go check out some of my work across the various #Sackdimma threads, 1 man against the world at times :p

we're in rd.4 its too early to make a definitive call on him (especially based on what he seems to be trying to - short term pain for long term gain) but yeah it isn't exactly easy to support him at the moment.

Go check out some of my work across the various #Sackdimma threads, 1 man against the world at times :p
Lol I can believe it. I do agree it's still too early but my god if he can't turn it round in the next couple of weeks he needs to be gone at the end of this year. Anyway, this is a thread talking about the VFL team so to keep it on topic, yay McBean finally showing something and Miles awesome as ever. Judging by the article on the RFC website anyway.

I've been stretched too but really I think he's being too tricky. For a while I thought it was about having a game that would not just get us into finals but winning them. Well we got to the finals and then...3 times...

Poor season starts good finish and finals - nada.

Tell me how we can execute the plan well enough to get to finals then fail and then start the new season worse - far worse - than we played in the home and away.

I can't make sense of it.

I've been stretched too but really I think he's being too tricky. For a while I thought it was about having a game that would not just get us into finals but winning them. Well we got to the finals and then...3 times...

Poor season starts good finish and finals - nada.

Tell me how we can execute the plan well enough to get to finals then fail and then start the new season worse - far worse - than we played in the home and away.

I can't make sense of it.
I agree, he's definitely trying to be too tricky, but it's a confidence thing as well, the lot of them need to see a sports psychologist, the frustrating thing they played this years game (as in the game plan everyone but Richmond are using this year) in their 91 point win against Collingwood last year, why can't they just go back to that? They know they can do it, what's stopping them?

I agree, he's definitely trying to be too tricky, but it's a confidence thing as well, the lot of them need to see a sports psychologist, the frustrating thing they played this years game (as in the game plan everyone but Richmond are using this year) in their 91 point win against Collingwood last year, why can't they just go back to that? They know they can do it, what's stopping them?

I think our game plan requires everyone to gell. Such as it is a few going to custard sort of puts the whole thing out. That's pretty weak actually.

Injury and a lot of inexperience this year doesn't help. We've got a range of mid tier that need to step up but I don't think they have it in them to also bring the new players into the game as well.

Funny because I think some of our newer players actually get it but get overlooked by the more experienced that don't seem to get it.

Doesn't explain our poor start and finish last year because we were reasonably stable - not the same amount of juggling we've seen this year.

Beginning to think we are just all thick between the ears. Couldn't believe it when Rance said we were too coachable - in that a mention of handballs in a training season seem to have stuck in the mind where that's what they went to all the time this Friday. That is just weird. Almost said we are suggestible. Can be brainwashed. Wouldn't surprise me.

That said we did draft nice guys. Maybe we should have gone for a bit of a mix. Got a few rebels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok guys here is why our reserves played as a 15goal better team.
Coach meh meh but crediit where its due the feedback i got was that it was a more attacking game plan.
The true facts are here

1Maric our number one leader straightens up any team ,just with his on field presence let alone his ability.Replaces Hampson
2Miles our number 4 leader,how DH dropped this guy for Moore is beyond belief.
3Townsend is a gun State level player and yet to make it at AFL,but already there's a massive upgrade to our midfield.Hunt my goodness played b4 this guy.
Has his chance next week.
4McBean is ready as proven you put in a good ruck with a top inside mid side he will get enough footy to hurt teams.Chaplin lol gets a game
5Short may not touch it a lot,but he keeps his opponent on his toes and needs constant manning.
6Batchelor ran into form yesterday bc less backline pressure
Due to the first 3 points it takes a lot of heat off your backline and makes the defenders and coaches job easier.

No miracle ,just an increase of leadership and talent improves the confidence of the whole team:thumbsu::):thumbsu:

Last edited:
Coach meh meh but crediit where its due the feedback i got was that it was a more attacking game plan.
The true facts are here

1Maric our number one leader straightens up any team ,just with his on field presence let alone his ability.Replaces Hampson
3Townsend is a gun State level player and yet to make it at AFL,but already there's a massive upgrade to our midfield.Hunt my goodness played b4 this guy.
4McBean is ready as proven you put in a good ruck with a top inside mid side he will get enough footy to hurt teams.Chaplin lol gets a game
5Short may not touch it a lot,but he keeps his opponent on his toes and needs constant manning.
Due to the first 3 points it takes a lot of heat off your backline and makes the defenders and coaches job easier.

No miracle ,just an increase of leadership and talent improves the confidence of the whole team:thumbsu::):thumbsu:
First time I've agreed with you. Except maybe Short. And wouldn't mind seeing castagna slot in somewhere

The true facts are here

Batch was much better than that, he was very influential.

Batch was much better than that, he was very influential.
didn't comment on his performance ,just on how much better the defence and he looked with an improved midfield.
i will take your word for it,but he still needs to lift his game at AFL level IMO.Still would be an upgrade on a couple of blokes we're carrying

People need to realise with Castagna that we can't afford to bring players who have poor disposal into our AFL side because we already have a list of average kicks in the team. Castagna kicking would be almost the worst on our list, and it's nothing to do with his decision making which can be fixed easily (see batch and rance) it's his actual technique. He almost throws the ball in the air before he kicks it, so by the time the ball hits his foot it is completely out of position for a normal drop punt, and this is when he isn't even under pressure. Don't get me wrong, he has some ability, but until he sorts out his kicking (which may be never) he won't make it at a higher level.

Castagna is one I'd like to play as a defensive forward who can create goals. He may not kick them but he looks like he can set them up with his pace.

THANK GOD ANOTHER SEE'S IT

It shits me to tears he is not in the side. Him and Rioli on either forward flank with Tyrone deep and Jack in CHF. Hold that structure, do not press so bloody far and allow these two speed machines that love to harass and tackle do there thing. Why that has not happened is criminal ffs

I believe according to RFC VFL Twitter that when Maric was rotated on in the 2nd quarter the response from the team was immediate.

It's been said to death that while 2 guys (Lids and Maric) being out doesn't make all that much physical difference to winning and losing, the effect mentally to having these senior heads leading the team out on game day will be unmeasurable.

And like others have said - when we finally field a full strength team (incl Yarran) and still get smashed, only THEN will it be truly troubled times for us Tiges.

I believe according to RFC VFL Twitter that when Maric was rotated on in the 2nd quarter the response from the team was immediate.

It's been said to death that while 2 guys (Lids and Maric) being out doesn't make all that much physical difference to winning and losing, the effect mentally to having these senior heads leading the team out on game day will be unmeasurable.

And like others have said - when we finally field a full strength team (incl Yarran) and still get smashed, only THEN will it be truly troubled times for us Tiges.
They won't be around forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back