Toast Round 2 Rising Star Nom: Ryan Burton GET AROUND HIM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah Croad was a great athlete but a dumb footballer. Burton is a very smart footballer. Makes great decisions and super composed.
That's crap, Croad was a brilliant footballer and was robbed of his best years and even still was one of the best defenders in the competition. If it wasn't for injury he would of played 300+ and we wouldn't of needed Lake.

That's crap, Croad was a brilliant footballer and was robbed of his best years and even still was one of the best defenders in the competition. If it wasn't for injury he would of played 300+ and we wouldn't of needed Lake.
Croad wasn't a smart footballer in a lot of ways.

I'd personally hope Burton is better than Croad, and I firmly believe his skills and footy smarts will make sure of that.

Does anyone else find it ironic that Hawthorn is getting hammered for taking a risk on O'Meara yet the very same people are praising our nous for taking the risk in drafting Burton. I mean what sort of jilted mind do you need in order to hold these two opinions simultaneously?

And Burton a greater risk as a complete unknown at senior level.

Does anyone else find it ironic that Hawthorn is getting hammered for taking a risk on O'Meara yet the very same people are praising our nous for taking the risk in drafting Burton. I mean what sort of jilted mind do you need in order to hold these two opinions simultaneously?
There is no focus at all on the succeeces. The other obvious trade success is Tommy M. I argued over and over that we had NOT squandered two successive years of first rounders because we in fact used one year to get Tommy (on the MB) and it fell on deft ears

Probably still would've needed Lake.

2013 would've been Croad's 15th season

That line of argument is entirely consistent with the pessimistic attitude of claiming everything is a failure until it's proven a success. Jom will come good and the flip in attitude both here and in the press will be enough to give many whiplash.

We used pick 19 for Burton. O'Meara could end up pick 10 and 2-7. Pretty big difference and easy to understand holding each opinion.

I'm still in the camp O'Meara will be a gun and worth the risk. But, the Risk is real at present and people will rightfully talk. we have invested plenty in him, and hopefully in 2018 we are reading about him being an all-Aus chance and not some kid taken pick 3 being the next josh Kelly.

Wow. Wouldn't have needed Lake?

You're cooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I am really looking forward to is O'Meara and Burto playing in the same team, and don't forget Mitchell, we certainly have something to look forward to. Now I understand why Clarko has been talking about building a side that is capable of winning the club's next lot of silverware.

Exciting times coming up for us Hawk supporters.

Don't forget our two Irishmen also.

Whoever said we didn't need Lake if Croad was still around needs to go back and watch seasons 2013-15. Ridiculous comment.
Lots in the running for the rising star this year.... SPP, SPS, Burton, Taranto, McGrath, Hipwood. At this point SPP is my tip but if Burton continues on this trajectory for the rest of the season its going to be bloody close.

Whoever said we didn't need Lake if Croad was still around needs to go back and watch seasons 2013-15. Ridiculous comment.
Lots in the running for the rising star this year.... SPP, SPS, Burton, Taranto, McGrath, Hipwood. At this point SPP is my tip but if Burton continues on this trajectory for the rest of the season its going to be bloody close.

I'm with you on this one. Nothing against Croad, who was manful and deserves some credit for helping us summit in 2008. But I don't think it can be understated just how vital Brian Lake was to our threepeat. I would be willing to say that without him in the squad we wouldn't have won any of those flags. Inserting him at fullback instantaneously straightened out the entire team. Those repelling marks in defense improved every other player on the field. He was like our version of the Rosetta Stone.

Dwayne was really talking up Powell-Pepper today - apparently there's quite a few in the mix :rolleyes:

Powell-Pepper should probably be leading, clear #1 ahead in AFL players ratings, #1 contested possessions, #1 in clearances, #1 in tackles, has kicked way more goals than the other two favourites (Burton & McGrath).

Powell-Pepper should probably be leading, clear #1 ahead in AFL players ratings, #1 contested possessions, #1 in clearances, #1 in tackles, has kicked way more goals than the other two favourites (Burton & McGrath).
The other 2 are defenders, so unlikely to be leading stats like goals and clearances.

Powell-Pepper should probably be leading, clear #1 ahead in AFL players ratings

Wrong,

Burton, AFL players rating: 251
Powell-Pepper, AFL players rating: 226

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's more understandable than, then instead of than. I can't understand how the use of these words can be confused, where as we contract could have to could've which when spoken, sounds like could of.
It doesn't matter what it sounds like it matters that the idiot doing the speaking knows what he is saying. And he is saying "would have." If you don't actually know what your are in fact saying, you perhaps shouldn't be saying it.

Ryan Burton contracts words correctly.

You shut your mouth
He's right though.

WALKER%20Taylor.png

The other 2 are defenders, so unlikely to be leading stats like goals and clearances.

Agreed, with so many positions and different gamestyles it is difficult to gauge who is the most deserving winner unless you have someone who consistently watches every single AFL game. I have Powell-Pepper #1 and Burton #2. There can be an argument whether you get more 'stats' from the half back or in the midfield but the disposal difference is only 2 a game. I value the stats Powell-Pepper is leading the rising stars (CP, clearances) a lot though which is why I have him as the rising star atm. Reality is, both are leading in stats they are expected to get at their positions, tot disposals, r50s, uncontested possessions, R50s.

Wrong,

Burton, AFL players rating: 251
Powell-Pepper, AFL players rating: 226

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We may be looking at different stats?
http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings

Burton: 139.9 (#2 overall)
Powell-Pepper: 161.8 (#1 overall)
McGrath 98.2 (4th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back