Toast Round 2 Rising Star Nom: Ryan Burton GET AROUND HIM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I see this as basically Bontempelli (Curnow) v Taylor (Burton) again.

Bontempelli played some amazing football that year but the award rightly went to Taylor for consistency.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but Burton ain't got a rat's chance of winning the award.

Have a look at who's voting on it and you'll understand why.

Gilligan
Kevin Sheehan
Kevin Bartlett
Luke Darcy
Danny Frawley
Glen Jakovich
Cameron Ling
Matthew Richardson
Warren Tredrea
Kevin Sheehan stated Burton was his clear pick in an article just last week.
Kevin Bartlett was claiming Burton the obvious pick on radio back in May.
Danny Frawley has made no secret that he loves key backmen.
Glen Jakovich may also appreciate key backmen having also been a key defender himself.
Ling and Richardson should have Burton with 4 or 5 votes each.
Warren Tredrea may give SPP his 5 given the Port connection but if he's trying to avoid looking biased then Burton as the key position, SA lad is his next obvious choice.

Not a bad line up of judges when you consider who else could be.

Also, is this a confirmed line up? Looks very similar to a list I saw on wikipedia. They may change.

Anyone else getting sick of this half back flank hyperbole that's being thrown Burton's way? Just because he's not dry humping the tallest forward doesn't mean he's not playing as a key defender.
You're right. He's often responsible for manning a key forward while simultaneously responsible for providing rebounding by driving play from half back. Stats or no stats, anyone who watches him would know he's playing well above par for what you'd expect from a player as inexperienced as he is. Rising Star or not I think he is clearly one of the very best under 22 in the league. Will be in our best 2-3 players in a couple years.

I wonder if we'll see him at half forward again this week.

Love watching this kid play footy. He's going to be super in a season or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd argue he's banging down that door already. Will be interesting to see how he polls in the b&f
I'd still have (in order) Rioli (not counting his injury affected 2017), Gunston, Mitchell, Roughead, Smith, Burgoyne (assuming he goes on) and McEvoy (based only on his 2017) ahead of him right now for consistent influence on games. I currently see him sitting around (again in no order) Breust, Stratton, Shiels, Frawley, O'Meara (could easily be in the top group but I'll put him here for now), Puopolo, Sicily and Howe.

So somewhere around our 8th best player with a fit and in form list.

I do agree though that he'll be knocking on the door as far as our B&F goes. Maybe he'll go about 4th or 5th with Mitchell, Gunston, Roughead, Smith and/or Burgoyne ahead.

Next year I suspect he'll be right on the cusp of our top 3, and given he just keeps on exceeding expectations I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes into it early.

isn't it? One way or another the arguments can end

Your thoughts on Timmy all of sudden wanting the rules changed so that the award only applies to players who were drafted the previous year and how he's left that argument to round 20 of this season

Your thoughts on Timmy all of sudden wanting the rules changed so that the award only applies to players who were drafted the previous year
Well he doesn't want the rules suddenly changed does he? He just thinks it should be best first year. And I've posted elsewhere that I totally disagree. In any case it's not a factor that should it will be considered this year

Well he doesn't want the rules suddenly changed does he? He just thinks it should be best first year. And I've posted elsewhere that I totally disagree. In any case it's not a factor that should it will be considered this year
That would be why the AFLPA have the "best first year player award"

I'd argue he's banging down that door already. Will be interesting to see how he polls in the b&f
Top 4/5 I reckon in the B&F as an outsider looking in.
T Mitchell
B McEvoy
S Burgoyne
J Sicily
R Burton
J Gunston / L Shiels / J Roughead / D Howe / B Hardwick

Hard to pick this year but I would have him top 5. A lot of players were well down and plenty played hardly any footy.

Top 4/5 I reckon in the B&F as an outsider looking in.
T Mitchell
B McEvoy
S Burgoyne
J Sicily
R Burton
J Gunston / L Shiels / J Roughead / D Howe / B Hardwick

Hard to pick this year but I would have him top 5. A lot of players were well down and plenty played hardly any footy.

Pretty close I reckon. Maybe Burton and Sic swapped around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back