2nds Round 2 (round 1 was a bye) V Northern Blues.. 7pm Friday 15th @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

We need him at 1/2 back.
Tell teach to get it sorted. Pronto.
So I'll ask the question again. How many at 176cm make successful AFL small defenders in today's football? He's too short.

He's up forward or he doesn't make it.

So I'll ask the question again. How many at 176cm make successful AFL small defenders in today's football? He's too short.

Wasn't David Wirrpanda only 174cm? Guess he doesn't classify as a defender in today's football though.

Rory Laird would be a good start
178 but yes he is short. That's one, even one of our great half back dashers, Wojo was 180cm. Saad is another at GC at 178cm and Jamie Bennell 179cm

there are 3 under 180cm defenders playing at AFL level looking through footywire. 176cm is a little shorter, don't see him in making it in that role.

Wasn't David Wirrpanda only 174cm? Guess he doesn't classify as a defender in today's football though.
Yes, in years and decades past I'm sure there would be countless examples, Polly was a flanker by today's heights. Only 3 and none are as short as Bates, is there any indications he can break that mould?

Clearly Willo's fault. We were doing well until he rocked up. :p
I thought of you tonight

I'm not an umpire basher but if that is what is coming through at the 2nd highest level then christ we are in trouble

I really don't care.
He's not getting a game forward.
And he's a natural running back. It's bloody obvious.

So give him a shot at it.

I really don't care.

Has he done anything to remotely earn or deserve an afl game?

Back or forward he's back in the afl queue either way, down back it'll get worse when Smedts and Cowan regain fitness as we know they love them down back. Whilst at present still being behind Bews,Kolo, Mackie and Enright (as well as the occasional Guthrie minutes)

Up forward there's Gregson and McCarthy as well as resting mids, half forwards in Menzel and Kersten.

Last year on his contract as well.

I really don't care.

How many games have you seen this natural running back play? YouTube clips don't count.

The club has played him near exclusively as a small forward. That gives you a pretty good idea of the chances of him making it as a defender.

Has he done anything to remotely earn or deserve an afl game?

Back or forward he's back in the afl queue either way, down back it'll get worse when Smedts and Cowan regain fitness as we know they love them down back. Whilst at present still being behind Bews,Kolo, Mackie and Enright (as well as the occasional Guthrie minutes)

Up forward there's Gregson and McCarthy as well as resting mids, half forwards in Menzel and Kersten.

Last year on his contract as well.
I never said he deserved an afl game.
I said he is a running half back. Full stop.

How many games have you seen this natural running back play? YouTube clips don't count.

The club has played him near exclusively as a small forward. That gives you a pretty good idea of the chances of him making it as a defender.
They do count.

Because I have eyes.
If the club are blinded, it's not my problem. It's only the VFL. Try it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do count.

Because I have eyes.
If the club are blinded, it's not my problem. It's only the VFL. Try it!
I'll take that as a zero.

And it's the club that's blinded! :D

The best players from the VFL are generally met with some derision here. Don't shoot the messenger.:)

xkZU7zd.jpg

Went had a look for 3 quarters... not a lot to report really , if that was a full house VFL side id be concerned. One observation , we seemed to be drilled to handpass so much that we don't even try to draw the player.
Bews had more intent early
Bates looks lively , looks like they see him as a forward.
Rees can break away from a tackle.
Parsons, Cornell both seem so early in their prep that I find it hard to judge in this company. Cornell looks like he might be better with a bit more meat on him but its on a guess.
GHS does well when the ball goes his way but he is not brilliant by foot
Tudor did a couple of nice things. Kicked one goal from the boundary basically right in front of me.

Our skills are s**t and we over-handball

Bates however impresses me... clean set of heels and a lovely kick.. very creative as well

Bates has two major deficiencies:
He doesn't get involved nearly enough. Very one sided.

When he is involved he does look very good. His strengths are very good pace and very good kick.

His third quarter was "electric" but that, after being pretty much unsighted for the first half.

For mine the best two for Geelong were Bews and Luxford.

Bews was very good and played with intent. Very good defensively and went on the attack a few times to good effect. Good pace, kicked a lot on his left. I thought he was a natural right footer.
Luxford is working in to the season. Powerful runner, reasonably quick. His disposal was better this week.
GHS good. Got plenty of ball. He didn't seem to hurt the opposition as much this week though [we really missed outside run and carry]. Missed a reasonably easy (for him) shot at goal on the run at an important time.
Vardy was very disappointing. he could have and should have been the difference. He did some good work but on a number of occasions after fairly good delivery he couldn't bring down the mark under pressure. The ball was greasy and that didn't help, but I would have expected to see some flat hands in the second half to at least see the ball kept in front of himself. Coming back from injury - didn't look as "up" as usual from the start.
Gardner looked ordinary. Moved forward for last quarter aand looked like he has never played there before (which is probably the case).
Parsons got a bit of it but not much hurt factor there either. Good kick.
Lucey is having a crack but still has a long way to go.
Buzza ditto. I am willing to give him a "leave pass" until the last few games. His lack of AFL game awareness (specifically how a tall forward positions himself) is obvious. Even getting to the drop of the ball was mistimed half a dozen times IMO. Stopped him being able to use his knee to hold himself up. Kick to kick in the yard has been missing for him I think.
Cornell. Got his hands on it in first quarter in centre bounces but was nearly always tackled before it was released. Did very little afterwards (I noticed anyway).

Of the VFL blokes. Tudor is one that is pushing thru IMO. Thought he was very ordinary early last year but is learning fast. He is played as a utility. Everywhere. Good size, good leap, good pace, hands seem OK, getting into the action more and more.

Two or three huge clangers and some undisciplined play cost us the game.

Bews was very good and played with intent. Very good defensively and went on the attack a few times to good effect. Good pace, kicked a lot on his left. I thought he was a natural right footer.
Luxford is working in to the season. Powerful runner, reasonably quick. His disposal was better this week.
GHS good. Got plenty of ball. He didn't seem to hurt the opposition as much this week though [we really missed outside run and carry]. Missed a reasonably easy (for him) shot at goal on the run at an important time.
Vardy was very disappointing. he could have and should have been the difference. He did some good work but on a number of occasions after fairly good delivery he couldn't bring down the mark under pressure. The ball was greasy and that didn't help, but I would have expected to see some flat hands in the second half to at least see the ball kept in front of himself. Coming back from injury - didn't look as "up" as usual from the start.
Gardner looked ordinary. Moved forward for last quarter aand looked like he has never played there before (which is probably the case).
Buzza ditto. I am willing to give him a "leave pass" until the last few games. His lack of AFL game awareness (specifically how a tall forward positions himself) is obvious. Even getting to the drop of the ball was mistimed half a dozen times IMO. Stopped him being able to use his knee to hold himself up. Kick to kick in the yard has been missing for him I think.
Cornell. Got his hands on it in first quarter in centre bounces but was nearly always tackled before it was released. Did very little afterwards (I noticed anyway).

Of the VFL blokes. Tudor is one that is pushing thru IMO. Thought he was very ordinary early last year but is learning fast. He is played as a utility. Everywhere. Good size, good leap, good pace, hands seem OK, getting into the action more and more.

AS I said a couple of weeks ago , we have very little depth at the moment, our true depth is on the injury list, Selwood, Smedts, Delaney, Etc.

AS I said a couple of weeks ago , we have very little depth at the moment, our true depth is on the injury list, Selwood, Smedts, Delaney, Etc.
Our depth is fine. We are giving 2 guys a week a game off. Ie: not even VFL.

I'm interested in the learning that Buzza and Lucey can do at Geelong with some very good mentors Buzza has Hawkins and Clark and Lucey has Ottens teaching him as well as the other development coaches. We've seen how well Blitz has developed.
What do you think is Luxford's best position at afl level going to be? I know like the others I've mentioned he's come from a different background and will take time. But he's been around for a while now and other than running abilities I haven't been able to place his real value in the side.

I'm interested in the learning that Buzza and Lucey can do at Geelong with some very good mentors Buzza has Hawkins and Clark and Lucey has Ottens teaching him as well as the other development coaches. We've seen how well Blitz has developed.
What do you think is Luxford's best position at afl level going to be? I know like the others I've mentioned he's come from a different background and will take time. But he's been around for a while now and other than running abilities I haven't been able to place his real value in the side.

It's good to see Luxford getting back into stride. He certainly didn't star in his 1sts appearances, but nor did he look completely out of place. He strikes me as a potential long outside runner of the Duncan type. But he's obviously got a lot of ground to make up, given his background.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back